Being On Meds And Getting In Shape

Question for guys on meds who workout/train regularly...

Here's my situation. Since college I've put on some extra weight that I'm not all that pleased with, but never hit the gym hard enough to take it off and get in the shape that I want to be in. I'm 31, 6'2" and 240 lbs.

About a month and half ago, something inside me finally snapped and said, no more. I want to get in shape. Not just "lose a few pounds," I'm talking about IN SHAPE. Gym body. I know that takes a long time and a lot of sweat and commitment, but I had to start somewhere. So I started hitting the gym 5-6 days a week, training hard, eating lean, taking supplements and I've started seeing results. I'm down 8 lbs from when I started at 248. I'm persistent to keep going till I get the body I want.

Problem is now I'm starting to plateau in my results. The past couple of weeks, nothing. No weight loss, no change in muscle mass it seems. A buddy of mine who I work out with (who is in awesome shape) told me that that's very common to happen to people... And that I just have to readjust my workout regiment and diet a bit to get over that hump.

Where my question about meds comes in is this- I have been poz for about a year and a half now and been on Stribild for most of that period. I, thankfully have not suffered any side effects. One of my biggest fears of side effects was lipodystrophy, where fat shifts around the body, but that hasn't happened. What I'm wondering is: can the meds inhibit your body from attaining the results you want at the gym? Has this happened to anyone, where no matter how hard you work out, the meds just block results? Is this common? Also, if anyone on meds has conversely had no adverse effects and has been able to get lean and build muscle, I'd like to hear about that too.

I just get paranoid that being poz/on meds is going to stop my body from changing the way I want it to.

And I definitely don't want to be putting all this hard work in to get no end result. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Poptronic,

Not directly answering your question, but in case you haven't already read it: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-upside-of-a-weight-loss-plateau/

But it seems that you're seeing the final goal and putting up with the pain of getting there, rather than enjoying the physical activity. Maybe it's something that comes after more time, but if you never learn to enjoy the gym hours and the new diet, I fear it's gonna be difficult to hold on in the long run. Rather than an extended one-shot commitment, it's more of a lifestyle change you're looking at. Which means at some point finding a personal balance with a training intensity and a diet that is sustainable where you feels rewards and not just endless self-punishment. That can come after you've made your initial breakthrough and reached your goal, of course.

All the best in your efforts!

Congrats on your decision! I don't know anyone on Stribld who has had issues losing weight. Personally, for me it means cutting sugar (which I love pastries, pies, etc!), and portion/calorie management... and increasing activity -- jog, walk the dog, whatever you enjoy do more of it consistently. It took me about 6 months to lose 25 pounds, stick with it and make it a fun "mental game" --find a buddy to compete with maybe?

HEY "POP" !!

Keep it up!  The side effects of the newer generation of meds is MUCH LESS than years ago.  If I'm not mistaken,  Stribild has minimal or no lipodystrophy, like many of the one pill regiments. Also, here in Ft Lauderdale, many of the "GYM GODS" are HIV Poz on Meds...

keep on your path.

J

• Upvote 1

Hi Poptronic,

Not directly answering your question, but in case you haven't already read it: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-upside-of-a-weight-loss-plateau/

But it seems that you're seeing the final goal and putting up with the pain of getting there, rather than enjoying the physical activity. Maybe it's something that comes after more time, but if you never learn to enjoy the gym hours and the new diet, I fear it's gonna be difficult to hold on in the long run. Rather than an extended one-shot commitment, it's more of a lifestyle change you're looking at. Which means at some point finding a personal balance with a training intensity and a diet that is sustainable where you feels rewards and not just endless self-punishment. That can come after you've made your initial breakthrough and reached your goal, of course.

All the best in your efforts!

Hey negparis, thanks for your response. I am working on the lifestyle change part of it. Not looking to be one of those people that just goes on a diet and workout plan, loses weight, gets in a bit of shape and then goes back to their regular old ways and ends up back where they started. Seen too many people do that. I'm also trying to make myself enjoy working out, because quite frankly, I don't. In fact I hate working out, but I push myself to do it almost everyday. I know a girl who LIVES for running and basically gets a high off of doing it. She has been pushing herself to run harder, better, faster, stronger for years and she loves it. That's the kind of mentality I want to adapt. If I can do that, it's all gravy afterward.

Congrats on your decision! I don't know anyone on Stribld who has had issues losing weight. Personally, for me it means cutting sugar (which I love pastries, pies, etc!), and portion/calorie management... and increasing activity -- jog, walk the dog, whatever you enjoy do more of it consistently. It took me about 6 months to lose 25 pounds, stick with it and make it a fun "mental game" --find a buddy to compete with maybe?

Hey atlfukbud, thanks for the encouragement! I know the feeling of cutting out the things we love as a sacrifice to get in shape. I do like sweets, but it's the fast food that kills me. In the last month I have only eaten it once, but that's my big sacrifice. I keep telling myself that the Taco Bell around the corner from my house is an evil institution and I have no business going there .

I have been just trying to increase my activity in general and it seems to work out for me. One mental game I play with myself is I tell myself that on my workout days, I'm not allowed to play PS4 until I've worked out. (Firing up the PS4 in my "man cave" is like my way of unwinding at the end of the day). And then I also say I can't play for more time than I've worked out. So if I worked out for an hour today, I've earned an hour of PS4 time later. That mental game seems to work. We'll see how the rest of the progress goes.

HEY "POP" !!

Keep it up!  The side effects of the newer generation of meds is MUCH LESS than years ago.  If I'm not mistaken,  Stribild has minimal or no lipodystrophy, like many of the one pill regiments. Also, here in Ft Lauderdale, many of the "GYM GODS" are HIV Poz on Meds...

keep on your path.

J

Hey buddy, long time! Glad to hear from your expert knowledge that Stribild has little to no known interference with working out and getting in shape. Very true too, I have seen some poz guys that are in amazing shape. So I am hoping I can get there too. I'm definitely going to keep the workout routine going and I'll fill you in on progress later down the line.

Any trips back up to NJ coming up? Let me know, I'd love to meet up again!

• Upvote 1

Here's my situation. Since college I've put on some extra weight that I'm not all that pleased with, but never hit the gym hard enough to take it off and get in the shape that I want to be in. I'm 31, 6'2" and 240 lbs.

A buddy of mine who I work out with (who is in awesome shape) told me that that's very common to happen to people... And that I just have to readjust my workout regiment and diet a bit to get over that hump.

6'2" and 240 lbs. So you are a big guy, and that changes everything.

HIV has no impact on muscle mass, none whatsoever. Just remember that.

I`ve got 30 years of gym in me, with all the frustations and discoveries i accumulated. I could give you a 50 pages answer, and still have more to say, so some key points.

The NUMBER ONE reason that guys quits is because of the absence or results. Bodybuilders are not created, they are born. Muscle gain is 100% genetics. Trainers and magazine will tell you otherwise but research has proven it over and over again. One of the best comparison is height. Imagine a 5`8" guy asking you to show him how to grow to 6`2" because clearly, you were 5`8" once and you sucessfully grew another 4 inches!

You are tall (the taller you are, the less you gain muscle mass, one of the unbroken law in gyms is "anyone who is more muscular than you, is always shorter than you) and you can gain fat, which to me means a muscle beef rather than a lean fit guy.

There so many sites and books on muscle gain out there that you can find all the info you need. My wisest advice to you is to go back to the gym, even if you are not seeing any changes.

I could spill my 30 years of frustration with a body that just won`t gain muscle mass (steroids, professionnal trainers, food, supplements: nothing worked) but it`s not the topic.

Youre poz, tall and big, so just go back, 5 days a week, 6 if possible. Even if some days you train like shit, and you do only 10% of what you have done the day before. Just go back.

Hope you keep sharing your "shape" journey. I will read every posts.

Steve

• Upvote 4

6'2" and 240 lbs. So you are a big guy, and that changes everything.

HIV has no impact on muscle mass, none whatsoever. Just remember that.

I`ve got 30 years of gym in me, with all the frustations and discoveries i accumulated. I could give you a 50 pages answer, and still have more to say, so some key points.

The NUMBER ONE reason that guys quits is because of the absence or results. Bodybuilders are not created, they are born. Muscle gain is 100% genetics. Trainers and magazine will tell you otherwise but research has proven it over and over again. One of the best comparison is height. Imagine a 5`8" guy asking you to show him how to grow to 6`2" because clearly, you were 5`8" once and you sucessfully grew another 4 inches!

You are tall (the taller you are, the less you gain muscle mass, one of the unbroken law in gyms is "anyone who is more muscular than you, is always shorter than you) and you can gain fat, which to me means a muscle beef rather than a lean fit guy.

There so many sites and books on muscle gain out there that you can find all the info you need. My wisest advice to you is to go back to the gym, even if you are not seeing any changes.

I could spill my 30 years of frustration with a body that just won`t gain muscle mass (steroids, professionnal trainers, food, supplements: nothing worked) but it`s not the topic.

Youre poz, tall and big, so just go back, 5 days a week, 6 if possible. Even if some days you train like shit, and you do only 10% of what you have done the day before. Just go back.

Hope you keep sharing your "shape" journey. I will read every posts.

Steve

Steve, thanks for your advice. You seem to have a lot of experience in the gym. I'm a little confused by what you mean when you said "so you're a big guy and that changes everything." What exactly do you mean that changes?

I completely agree with you that some things are just plain old genetics and some people are genetically blessed while others just aren't. I have a student who is 16 years old and jacked as hell. Sure he lifts but plenty of kids his age are lifting just as much and are nowhere near as built up.

You might have gotten the wrong idea by what I meant when I said I want to get a "gym body." I am not looking to get to a bodybuilder level; that's not what I'm striving for. In fact, I'm not attracted at all to that type of guy who is just hugely muscular. What I'm looking for is to get leaner and pack on a little bit more muscle. In a nutshell- I want the kind of body that, when I'm in my mid-thirties, all my friends who went and got married, had kids and let themselves go (which I'm starting to see happen to a few of them already), they can envy lol.

I know I don't have that genetic gift of an hourglass figure that packs on muscle easily and gets that Greek God look. I'm not a born athlete or bodybuilder... But I don't think I'm a hardgainer either. I acknowledge the fact that I just never applied myself at the gym the way I have been recently. Basically, my body type is large-framed, with a large bone structure. I have broad shoulders and a wide torso, which is why I think that I can start looking better and better as more weight comes off.

I will definitely keep you posted as I make more progress. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

You might have gotten the wrong idea by what I meant when I said I want to get a "gym body." I am not looking to get to a bodybuilder level; that's not what I'm striving for. In fact, I'm not attracted at all to that type of guy who is just hugely muscular. What I'm looking for is to get leaner and pack on a little bit more muscle. In a nutshell- I want the kind of body that, when I'm in my mid-thirties, all my friends who went and got married, had kids and let themselves go (which I'm starting to see happen to a few of them already), they can envy lol.

Don't worry about getting "hugely muscular". Maybe two or three guys in a thousand will get the "bodybuilder physique" without steroids. For all the other guys that will never happen the natural way.

As a personal thought: Trying to get a body that others are envious of is a valid goal, But it's hard to keep motivated that way. It is easier to stick with a training regime, if you find ways of enjoying going to the gym. Over time your body will reflect your attitude and the way you train automatically.

That is basically true, but with a BIG CAVEAT. First, you need to find out what your body needs. If you just pump away at the machines in your gym, that might not give your body the right impulses to get lean and or gain muscle.

Its about VOLUME vs. INTENSITY. Some guys react to volume training, meaning they can do resistance / weight training 6 days a week and do thousands of exercises, sets and repetitions - and it will work. For others that means they will get fatigued and they will have no results at all. These guys need fewer, but more intense iron pumping sessions and should only do moderate cardio (biking, swimming, etc.) on the other days.

Try to find out what works for you and gives you the best results. Try to see "reaching a plateau" as chance to readjust your workout regime.

It is also about finding the right mixture of ISOLATION vs. COMPOUND exercises. If you start by doing isolation exercises exclusively, you wil never develop a great physique. Only compound exercises will build the foundation of a great body.

But do it the fun way. Basically there are three ways of doing the same thing, like training your pecs: You can use exercise machines, free weights (bench presses), or your own body weight (push ups). Try to find a mixture that works for YOU.

Just remember: Sculpting your body is a journey. It will take time and lots of trial and error.