The Loneliness Of Hiv

Powerful! Though with meds and Prep, I personally feel it has gotten better. What do others think?

Agree 100%. Although its certainly not at the acceptance level of what some on here think.  I have a good friend that is a vers bttm on PrEP, and he has asked me repeatedly why I let HIV+ guys cum in me.  I explain the science, but he still doesn't change his mind.

There is also the initial convo about HIV that still sucks nomatter how it goes.  Unless you only fuck with poz guys, HIV can still be a lonely very private disease.     

• Upvote 1

Becoming poz is still initially a sucky experience, but I don't think it's lonely at all. I have found lots of cute guys to trick with, both poz & neg. it does complicate life, but sometimes it's cool to be in the "club within the club" -- another layer of self-identity that neggies haven't had to find. Also, poz guys are generally fun in the sack ... since our willingness to take risks is what got us here to begin with.

Becoming poz is still initially a sucky experience, but I don't think it's lonely at all. I have found lots of cute guys to trick with, both poz & neg. it does complicate life, but sometimes it's cool to be in the "club within the club" -- another layer of self-identity that neggies haven't had to find. Also, poz guys are generally fun in the sack ... since our willingness to take risks is what got us here to begin with.

I can wholly agree with this. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure what this photo is intended to express, but I know for sure that HIV does not cause loneliness. I've been poz for more than 30 years and have created a life rich with friends, sex partners and opportunities.

Although people can be dismissive of others for many superficial reasons - including age, weight, race, income, etc. - your experiences and beliefs are largely what you create for yourself. Sad is the man who depends upon the approval of others for happiness in his own life. 

I'm not sure what this photo is intended to express, but I know for sure that HIV does not cause loneliness. I've been poz for more than 30 years and have created a life rich with friends, sex partners and opportunities.

Although people can be dismissive of others for many superficial reasons - including age, weight, race, income, etc. - your experiences and beliefs are largely what you create for yourself. Sad is the man who depends upon the approval of others for happiness in his own life. 

exactly, life is what you make of it, HIV or any other disease or not.  

The biggest issue with HIV is the stigma (hence the loneliness picture)

I talked to several people at IML this past year and they all said PrEP has made a world of difference in sex and dating for them.  PrEP made that physical and psychological barrier disappear.  Before PrEP there was a lot more "status segregation"   Now, people dont care nearly as much.  

Finding out you are poz is often hard. Starting daily meds can be hard. But once the doctor says your viral load is undetectable, you suddenly become one of the safest (if not the safest) sexual partner out here. That's cause for celebration. That first load you take (or give) as an undetectable poz dude is fucking sweet. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...

As an insecure, visible minority gay guy, I often relied on other people's approval or wild sexual satisfaction to define my self-worth. When the diagnosis hit me, I immediately had depressive symptoms. I also lost my mind a bit. I was convinced I would remain an outcast for the rest of life. My paranoia even got me banned from this place for a couple days. Things got 100% better when I started medication and became undetectable. Lots of therapy. Some support on this site as well. HIV doesn't have to be a lonely experience if you have the humble courage to seek help and connect with other poz guys.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I want to be one with HIV, be with others that don't fear!  Fear is what holds us back!  Be who you want to be, not what others expect or want you to be!  Being ones true self and willing to take any cock or load should be highly respected.  They are a true human!