Is It Possible For One To Remain Seronegative And Be Infected With Hiv?

My doctor believes I might have some underlying immune deficiency that causes false negatives on various antibody tests, but I wonder if I should have to worry about my HIV status given that I have tested way past the established window period. Are standard antibody-only HIV tests failsafe in this situation?

Your doctor could just give you a 4th Gen HIV test that looks for antibodies to both HIV-1 and HIV-2 (which your immune system creates) and an antigen of the HIV-1 virus in your blood itself. HIV-1 is the much more common form in HIV, except in parts of Africa.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My doctor believes I might have some underlying immune deficiency that causes false negatives on various antibody tests, but I wonder if I should have to worry about my HIV status given that I have tested way past the established window period. Are standard antibody-only HIV tests failsafe in this situation?

The only think I could think of, is if you went on meds the day after seroconversion. You may not give your body a chance to develop ABs that show up in the test, when you are effectively positive. A positive PCR test would be conclusive. Which is what you should do in your case if there's any doubt.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...