Anyone Else Have Issues With Triumeq

Theo8

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on a series of meds since 1997 and luckily had no bad side effect from any except for the effects most of us get from Sustiva (or Atripla which contains that). I got off Sustiva within a week because I was going to lose my job otherwise - stumbling and falling over like I was drunk for about 3 days until I stopped. 

With Triumeq (since January this year, almost a full year now) I gained some weight, and my psych tells me that other clients of his who take Triumeq have also gained weight. As did my boyfriend when he started.  But I'm not sure if the weight gain was the Triumeq, or just from being more of a couch potato and getting older.

Edited by perrofelix
added when I started Triumeq and how long I've been on it

2 hours ago, perrofelix said:

I've been on a series of meds since 1997 and luckily had no bad side effect from any except for the effects most of us get from Sustiva (or Atripla which contains that). I got off Sustiva within a week because I was going to lose my job otherwise - stumbling and falling over like I was drunk for about 3 days until I stopped. 

With Triumeq (since January this year, almost a full year now) I gained some weight, and my psych tells me that other clients of his who take Triumeq have also gained weight. As did my boyfriend when he started.  But I'm not sure if the weight gain was the Triumeq, or just from being more of a couch potato and getting older.

I was thinking of another drug that they were pushing me to try.  You had to take it with food and the requirement was like a pound of food.  That's an entire meal.  That's why I went with Triumeq at the time. 

I haven't heard of weight gain on Triumeq but like you said, it could be getting older and being a couch potato.

My Dr. put me on Triumeq about 6 months ago. I was on it for 3 months. I had a continual headache with it. It also raised my blood pressure a great deal. Dr. took me off it and switched me to Stribild. Took a couple of days on Stribild for the headaches to stop. But have had no problems on Stribild. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Guest descartes70817

I've been on Triumeq since I was diagnosed with full blown AIDS in March, and my blood work is showing elevated liver enzymes too, and although I put on more weight than I expected I'm able to reduce it by diet. I also seem to have developed lactose intolerance. Other than these I can't complain - it beat the heck out of dying from PCP pneumonia.

Guest deleted1107

Hi Theo8,

Sorry to see that you are having a bad reaction.... as it has been said in the thread it's all in our genes.

I think that if Atripla was working for you I would indeed go back on that medication. I hope all works out well for you as quickly as possible.

CC

• 1 year later...

I've been on Atripla for six years. This last year, I've developed a terrible case of insomnia. But I stuck with is because its been effesctive and I've been able to counter the worst of the sleep issues with Melatonin.

But changes with mt Rx plan means Atripla will be unafordable going forward - so as of January, I am switching to Triumeq. Will post here on my progress.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been on Triumeq for about 3 years, since my diagnosis. It’s been generally good. I used to take it in the morning, and it make me feel like shit for a few hours (basically felt like a hangover) but I’ve since switched to taking it before bed and it’s been better. 

I already suffered from anxiety and depression, so not sure if it’s had an impact on that. 

I was on Trizivir and Viramune from 2001-2012. Then my work insurance changed it to a “30% copay” ($800 at Walgreens) and I switched to Atripla. My Care Coordinator helped me get on their Loyalty Program for a small then a zero copay. 

My CD4 which had been stagnant in the 500 range for years is now over 900. It puts me to sleep very nicely and I eat something before bedtime because I love the wild tecnicolor  dreams. 

I’ve been on two integrase inhibitors in the past year.  The first, Juluca, didn’t have any associated weight gain but it completely changed my personality and made me batshit crazy and suicidal.  So I stopped taking it and switched to Gemvoya, which doesn’t have the same psychiatric side effects but has caused me to gain about 15 lbs so far.  Personally I’d rather feel better and have a little extra weight but that’s just me.  Unfortunately the only way to know how the drug affects you is to take it for an extended period of time.  Hope this helps.