Starting Prep

bbboix287

I have finally got approved by my doctor to start going on PrEP. So in a couple of days my first 30 day dosage will be arriving by mail. I've been researching ever since I found out about PrEP. I have a few question bumping around in my head and hopefully the community can answer.

What have been your experience when first taking the medication?

Did you experience side-effects?

Have you ever missed a day that was a 'planned vacations? If so, what do you do?
If you were schedule to take it at a certain hour, can you recover that day? If so, the there a cutoff period?

I mean there are the text book answer, and then their are the experiences of the individuals. I'm curious and I'm trying to find some answers.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

It upset my stomach when I took it in the morning. Now I take it every night before bed, and I have no troubles.

You don't have to take it at exactly the same time each day. Within a few hours of the same time is cool. You shouldn't double dose the next day if you forget though. Just go back to your old schedule.

For me:

- Side effects: Minimal (but most guys have no side effects and you probably won't). The first few 3 days I had looser bowel movements--no big deal.  Since then, nothing. (I had hoped for the rare "unexpected weight loss" but no dice :-) 

- I've missed 3 doses by accident in 1.5 years. No plan to stop taking it daily until a better alternative (quarterly injection, etc.) comes along. PrEP works if you take it every day but if you miss a dose occasionally, no big deal. I don't recommend "PrEP vacations" because if you happen to become HIV positive while you're off it and start taking it again, you can develop Truvada-resistant HIV. That's bad because Truvada is a backbone drug in almost all the HIV treatment drug cocktails.

- The time of day you take it isn't important. Don't make yourself crazy about that. Tie taking your pill to something you are going to do every day. (For me, it's when I take my shower, whatever time of day that happens). A 7-day pill box from the drug store also helps me remember. 

- Effects: Tremendously better sex because I quit using condoms completely. Far less worry and anxiety. Being relaxed really does make sex better.

• 4 weeks later...