Starting Prep But For Situational Use ?

Bi-Bottom

Hi to all

I'm having a question to people who are in the same situation or know about it:

It's will probably receive next week a prescription for the PREP. Since i am "only" bisexual and my craving for men only happens a few times a year (or sometimes i have no contact at all a whole year), the doctor said that i could take the pill 1-2 days before sex and 2 days after it, as soon as it will happen again.

From what he said and i have read, this should reduce the risk a lot, even if i dont take it daily but only before and after having gay-sex (without condom).

What do you think about that? Are there other users who take it on a situational way? What are yozr experiences? Did you stay neg?

Thanks a lot for any advise.

Cheers!

Bi-Bottom

Edited by Bi-Bottom
  • Upvote 1

Probably would not work for a lot of guys who's bareback sex is not planned days in advance.  Wouldn't provide must if any protections for guys who end up taking a load from a top who they hooked up with at a party or bar.

I'd be a little worried about the timing. Many of my encounters are un-planned.

Truvada also can cause gastric issues (diarrhea) until your body acclimates to it. I'd hate to shut down the playground right before the party.

• Upvote 1

I'd be a little worried about the timing. Many of my encounters are un-planned.

Truvada also can cause gastric issues (diarrhea) until your body acclimates to it. I'd hate to shut down the playground right before the party.

I'm angry about such side-effects...but i will see as soon as i will take the first pills.

In fact, from what i have understood, we can take the first pill until min. 2 hours before sex. And then 2 days long after the last sex.

Someone other asked above: I dont know how i will react, if i would know that he is positive. I think it's very difficult to know because i only have sex in bathrooms ou clubs, where men wouldn't tell that. Until yet, i asked each time if a guy wanted to fuck me without any condom (what only happend a few times), but i think we cant trust most of them...and a lot of guys dont know that they are positive. Whatever, if he would say he is positive, i guess that i would become angry, despite having very few chances to get infected with that pill. But we never know, when horniness is too big ;-)

Edited by Bi-Bottom

I'm back with some news and questions. I received the pills on thursday this week. I discussed the use of them with my doctor for my special situation, that means for an "on-demand" use, since i have only a very few gay contacts (the last time in April). The doctor told me, that the level of effectivness of Truvada in my case isn't proven until yet. The only thing we know is based on the ipergay-study. During this study, the participants took the pill on an intermittent way (2 pills 24h-2h before sex, then 1 pill the day after and a second one the second day). But the problem here is that the participants had a lot of sex, so that at the end they took the pill on an average of 4 times each week (!). The evectivness is good in that case (86% risk-reduction) but i become scared when thinking about myself, since that means i have no idea how high the protection would be in my case if i take it only for one 4-day period a few times a year, or even only once a year....

So i'm pretty scared right now. I paid 900 CHF (around 900$) for 30 pills and i finally question myself if it was worth it, since i am not sure about the protection. My idea at the beginning was that i could enjoy bearabck sex if i go to a gay-club a week-end and dont have to be angry after having taken a risk. But now i observe that i feel very insecure about that.

Are there here other guys that take the pill a very few time a year and could tell about their experiences? I would be very interested.