Hiv Isn't The Only Std

On 10/16/2019 at 2:51 AM, andrewguestz1939 said:

Im waiting for an appointment get syph sorted out I can see the spots etc on my arms leg cock etc nasty sxxx ☹️ and I know I'll get a lecture from sti,clinic to abstain 

I’ve been there and done that and really don’t want to do it again as syph just kicks your ass and saps the energy out of you. The treatment put me in bed for almost 24 hours.

• Upvote 1

Syphilis will kick the living shit out of you, especially if you don’t know you have it. I spent 2 weeks hooked up to an IV of penicillin several years ago because I didn’t have any symptoms so I never got tested for it until I started presenting with random mysterious and life-threatening symptoms.  Lesson learned and I’m sure as hell not about to go through it again.  Get tested regularly.  A healthy pig is a happy pig.

Edited by Qban
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Qban said:

Syphilis will kick the living shit out of you, especially if you don’t know you have it. I spent 2 weeks hooked up to an IV of penicillin several years ago because I didn’t have any symptoms so I never got tested for it until I started presenting with random mysterious and life-threatening symptoms.  Lesson learned and I’m sure as hell not about to go through it again.  Get tested regularly.  A healthy pig is a happy pig.

YES. This. ALL OF THIS. All of you pigs should be getting regular STI checks. A friend of mine had this same experience of having syphylis.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Moderators

I'll be happy to chime in here; I hadn't noticed this thread earlier.

I used condoms for many years (for anal sex only - I have always done oral bare, because what's the point of doing it at all otherwise?), then did some judicious barebacking (mostly as a top) during the '90s. Now I'm on PrEP and bareback essentially all the time.

During all of this, I've had crabs, gonorrhea, and chlamydia each a handful of times, and a couple of bouts with non-specific urethritis and syphilis. All happily cured with antibiotics. Yep, these are a pain in the butt (and when you're getting three rounds of penicillin injections, that's quite literal!). What's the worst part about it? The ones that are really hard to notice. Specifically, chlamydia (very mild symptoms penile, no symptoms at all anal) and syphilis (if you miss seeing the chancre, you're shit out of luck until it hits secondary, which doesn't happen for months and can be a mild skin rash easily mistaken for something else like a detergent allergy).  Those friends of yours who claim they never catch anything are probably full of shit. In the bottom's case, likely it's shit full of chlamydia and gonorrhea at least. Which explains a lot about why these things are so prevalent...

I try to get tested every three months, though sometimes it winds up being more like six (visiting the doctor is always more of a production than it ought to be). That means if I pick one up and don't notice it, I often have a fair number of actual buddies to contact with bad news.

Apparently some people find this upsetting (my boyfriend was appalled when I told him last month that I had chlamydia) or embarrassing (OK, I find it mildly so, but not really all that much). But honestly, it shouldn't be - all of these are not particularly strange or unusual to encounter if one is having what I would call a healthy sex life. Communicable diseases are... contagious, how surprising! 🙂

As far as prevention goes, doxycycline can be used as prophylaxis against syphilis, and a number of studies have proven it to be effective used in this way against both syphilis and chlamydia... which incidentally are among the hardest to notice STIs. Because it's a broad-spectrum antibiotic with a lot of other uses, I don't find it appropriate to use all the time, but for occasional rounds of abject piggery at the sex club (which for me are altogether too rare), I think it can be helpful. A Google search will give you many links to the actual studies if you're interested.

Also in the way of prevention (though I don't have any studies to cite) I have heard that simply cleaning up well after exposure can reduce rates of transmission. From what I know of anatomy, if you're having receptive anal, that's probably a lost cause (and obviously it is if you like keeping cum inside to absorb 😈). If you're a top, on the other hand, it's easy (and I think probably worthwhile) to give your dick a wash *soon* after whoring it around, and to drink lots of fluids so the inside gets washed. It may be worth drinking cranberry juice (the theory is that the sugars in cranberry juice are excreted in the urine and inhibit some bacteria from sticking to the mucous membrane in the urethra, but I don't know of any hard evidence backing it up), or taking hexamethylenetetramine (which is excreted in the urine, where it is converted to formaldehyde that acts as an antiseptic, as explained on Wikipedia - here's a link to the branded product that contains it [think before following links] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C8BR84O ).

That said, all of those strategies haven't completely prevented me from crossing paths with a thing or two. So peace out, pig out, test early, test often!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, viking8x6 said:

I'll be happy to chime in here; I hadn't noticed this thread earlier.

I used condoms for many years (for anal sex only - I have always done oral bare, because what's the point of doing it at all otherwise?), then did some judicious barebacking (mostly as a top) during the '90s. Now I'm on PrEP and bareback essentially all the time.

During all of this, I've had crabs, gonorrhea, and chlamydia each a handful of times, and a couple of bouts with non-specific urethritis and syphilis. All happily cured with antibiotics. Yep, these are a pain in the butt (and when you're getting three rounds of penicillin injections, that's quite literal!). What's the worst part about it? The ones that are really hard to notice. Specifically, chlamydia (very mild symptoms penile, no symptoms at all anal) and syphilis (if you miss seeing the chancre, you're shit out of luck until it hits secondary, which doesn't happen for months and can be a mild skin rash easily mistaken for something else like a detergent allergy).  Those friends of yours who claim they never catch anything are probably full of shit. In the bottom's case, likely it's shit full of chlamydia and gonorrhea at least. Which explains a lot about why these things are so prevalent...

I try to get tested every three months, though sometimes it winds up being more like six (visiting the doctor is always more of a production than it ought to be). That means if I pick one up and don't notice it, I often have a fair number of actual buddies to contact with bad news.

Apparently some people find this upsetting (my boyfriend was appalled when I told him last month that I had chlamydia) or embarrassing (OK, I find it mildly so, but not really all that much). But honestly, it shouldn't be - all of these are not particularly strange or unusual to encounter if one is having what I would call a healthy sex life. Communicable diseases are... contagious, how surprising! 🙂

As far as prevention goes, doxycycline can be used as prophylaxis against syphilis, and a number of studies have proven it to be effective used in this way against both syphilis and chlamydia... which incidentally are among the hardest to notice STIs. Because it's a broad-spectrum antibiotic with a lot of other uses, I don't find it appropriate to use all the time, but for occasional rounds of abject piggery at the sex club (which for me are altogether too rare), I think it can be helpful. A Google search will give you many links to the actual studies if you're interested.

Also in the way of prevention (though I don't have any studies to cite) I have heard that simply cleaning up well after exposure can reduce rates of transmission. From what I know of anatomy, if you're having receptive anal, that's probably a lost cause (and obviously it is if you like keeping cum inside to absorb 😈). If you're a top, on the other hand, it's easy (and I think probably worthwhile) to give your dick a wash *soon* after whoring it around, and to drink lots of fluids so the inside gets washed. It may be worth drinking cranberry juice (the theory is that the sugars in cranberry juice are excreted in the urine and inhibit some bacteria from sticking to the mucous membrane in the urethra, but I don't know of any hard evidence backing it up), or taking hexamethylenetetramine (which is excreted in the urine, where it is converted to formaldehyde that acts as an antiseptic, as explained on Wikipedia - here's a link to the branded product that contains it [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C8BR84O ).

That said, all of those strategies haven't completely prevented me from crossing paths with a thing or two. So peace out, pig out, test early, test often!

^^^THIS^^^ Thanks, well written!!

Couple of add on comments.

i think you raise one of the more important factors contributing to STI's and their increase: the social stigma of having one.  We are still plagued by social norms and Victorian era residue that makes sex dirty and the resultant possible STI an "embarrassment."  More people die from the flu than from  these STi's, but straights haven't stopped kissing, though it's a great way to transmit the flu. If one year we tested and treated the entire population of sexually active people anonymously, we could make a serious dent in STI's. It's so easy to test, you don't really need a health clinic, just go to a lab that does the testing and if you are positive for something, take the results to a care provider and get the appropriate treatment. Most labs do walk ins. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Guest FinalDL2021

Over the last Month, I got on Prep, yet what should I still expect? after 18 months of barebacking (having receptive anal sex about 4-6 weeks on average)  I got Gono, and Chlamydia. Is this going to be the norm?

I don't define myself as a slut, yet I like going to the baths, and taking a good cock up my ass, on occasion.

Guest Porthos

In the era of PrEP and HIV meds U=U, it seems most people bareback. Since becoming poz 12 years ago I have had sex with a condom maybe 5 times...Being poz and on meds and it the health system, so in addition to getting my viral load, CD4 counts I get tested for STI's.I have had Syphilis twice, and cured with the giant needles. It is embarrassing and you get the health department calls, but they are professional and just doinf their job. Lately in addition to my 6 month doc appt I get tested for STI's at 3 month intervals. The clinic is 5 minutes from work, no appointments and takes 15 minutes. They are non judgemental and I'm comfortable to tell them I've had sex with multiple men and never use condoms.

13 hours ago, Futile2Resist said:

Over the last Month, I got on Prep, yet what should I still expect? after 18 months of barebacking (having receptive anal sex about 4-6 weeks on average)  I got Gono, and Chlamydia. Is this going to be the norm?

I don't define myself as a slut, yet I like going to the baths, and taking a good cock up my ass, on occasion.

It's hard, probably impossible, to quantify a "norm" for STI's, there's just so many variables.  i think part of our "norm" should be to get tested regularly for STI's if we are sexually active.  As stated elsewhere, i believe the stigma attached to sex, and even more to gay sex, is what drives the high numbers and increase in STI's, not having sex.  Think of how much lower the incidence of the common cold or flu could be if everyone wore masks?  Kind of the facial equivalent of a condom and we could coin a term: 'Safe (safer) Breathing,'

But that's not going to happen, at least wide spread, because no-one stigmatizes or shames people for breathing. We get vaccines but are shamed about getting PrEP, yet PrEP is one of the most effective preventatives we have!!!  Fuck, in the best years the flu vaccine is only about 80% efficacious and lately more commonly that number is around 20%,  yet we still do it because 20% of millions of people is still a significant number, even though it's hard to argue on an individual basis. But PrEP?  Comparatively, it's a miracle, pretty much 100% efficacious in preventing HIV contraction.  

If we want to create a new "norm" in frequency of contracting other STI's, i say we take a "fuck you" attitude to the heteronormative , Victorian culture that has shamed people about sex. i'd love to see gays be the leaders in intelligence because we get that sex is a basic human need and that shaming people about it just increases STI's.  i guarantee if the gay community got it, and got on board and we all got tested quarterly, the gay community would have the lowest incidence of STI's eventually.  Not because we are abstaining from 'breathing' or wearing a 'mask,' but because we are using the wonderful science that's available to treat and reduce the incidence of disease, and thus reduce the spread. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 7:05 AM, Futile2Resist said:

Yes, it is going to be the norm, fortunately bareback is the normal way to fuck now, no one ask for condom in sex clubs, all are fucking like pigs, and then the STD bugs get spread and shared around, that is a part of the bareback life style.

7 minutes ago, PozBastard said:

Yes, it is going to be the norm, fortunately bareback is the normal way to fuck now, no one ask for condom in sex clubs, all are fucking like pigs, and then the STD bugs get spread and shared around, that is a part of the bareback life style.

yep, one has to accept there will be these other STDs, but as long as you stay on top of your testing they can be treated. It becomes a minor inconvenience, but it's amazing to be a cumdump pig.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are some basic rules and precautions.

PrEP daily, prevention against HIV (99.9% effective). Your doctor can prescribe this. It goes without saying but please don't fuck around if you have HIV and it's detectable or you've decided NOT to treat it...unless you're a gift giver AND your bottoms KNOW you have it. Not many uninhibited bottoms want the gift, we just want to be sluts.

Doxycycline, 100mg daily (or more preferably 100mg before fun and 200mg after fun) acts as a prevention against syphilis and chlamydia. If you REALLY want to be paranoid, take 100mg of doxy daily for 2 weeks before fun and 4 weeks after fun. That dosing prescription is sometimes used to prevent malaria as well. I got a 100 pill pack from overseas and just use it if I need it. But, please don't fuck around if you test positive for either of these, even after treatment they are communicable for at least 2 weeks.

Immunizations for Hep A and Hep B. Request them from your doctor. (95% of cases of both of these go away by themselves before becoming chronic - but don't rely on that, take my advice and get both immunizations. My Hep B became chronic and yours could too if you get it) Good news is that the medication I have to take for my Hep B happens to be 1 of the 2 ingredients of PrEP - so my PrEP prescription covers them both. 😉 But, please don't fuck around if you have either of these and the test results are above the acceptable threshold - it is communicable.

Mavyret 8 week treatment (cure) for chronic Hep C (45% goes away by itself before becoming chronic). In 20 years of uninhibited sex I've never contracted this nor do I know anyone who has. But, please don't fuck around if you have it and the test results are above the acceptable threshold - it is communicable.

You will get gonorrhea.  There's no way around it. There are three types, throat, anal and blood. Throat goes away within 30 days, anal and blood require treatment (a shot) and protocol for treatment of gono is to also treat for chlam whether it's detected or not, treatment for that is just 4 pills. It seems that 1 in about every 5 cocks I suck seem to give me throat gono, but almost all those cocks fuck loads into me as well and I've never gotten anal gono - go figure.  Please don't fuck around if you have gono and the test results are positive - it is communicable for up to two weeks after treatment. Some studies have shown a reduced chance of getting throat gono by gargling with Listerine that has the full alcohol content (it's something like 23 or 26%) before AND after giving oral.

You will get herpes. There's no way around it. If you're lucky you already have HSV1 (70% of the population has it) and if so, when you get HSV2 it'll be gentle on you. Expect 1 big breakout and then unless you're a complete dope fiend you may only get 1 breakout a year. Mine happens with stress, only about once every 5 years. Please don't fuck around during a breakout (painful, blistering, open sores in the genital area - although the sores CAN happen anywhere on the body), that's the only time it is communicable.

HPV - get immunized. Adults are now approved for the immunization, just request it from your doctor. 

purchase-prep.com (Dynamix) offers the best price I've found for PrEP ($69 for 3 month supply with free shipping - that's only 76 cents a day!)

And there you - if barebacking is the thing that excites you most (like me, and like lots of other guys) you learn to put those risks aside for the pleasure of what you want...BUT, make sure you get tested every 3 months. In most Countries that is protocol while you're taking PrEP anyway.  It'll keep the rest of us relatively safe, too.  

• Like 1