Prep Available In France From January

rawfuckr

Was reading more about it and seems they'll have to go through specific clinics and hospitals. This could make it difficult for some people to go on it vs the USA model where any doctor can prescribe.

If that's the case it will require a lot more outreach and it will just be more difficult in general to go on it.

Yes, you're right. France is a very centralized country, unlike the US, so everything has to go through very precise and sometimes convoluted procedures.

I guess that what they want to avoid is massive fraud when it comes to prescriptions, since France will be the first European country to publicly release PrEP on a large scale.

The general procedure doesn't seem to be that difficult though: you just need to go to your local sex clinic/CDAG (anonymous STD screening centre) to get tested and then talk about your situation and why the use of PrEP is justified in your specific case. That's it. And everything is of course reimbursed by the Sécurité Sociale: a win-win situation.

Yes, you're right. France is a very centralized country, unlike the US, so everything has to go through very precise and sometimes convoluted procedures.

I guess that what they want to avoid is massive fraud when it comes to prescriptions, since France will be the first European country to publicly release PrEP on a large scale.

The general procedure doesn't seem to be that difficult though: you just need to go to your local sex clinic/CDAG (anonymous STD screening centre) to get tested and then talk about your situation and why the use of PrEP is justified in your specific case. That's it. And everything is of course reimbursed by the Sécurité Sociale: a win-win situation.

The USA model is not that great either. There's heavy reliance on people going to their regular doctors for prep but most doctors are clueless about it. With the French model it's just about getting people to the right center.

How common are sex clinics throughout France?

The USA model is not that great either. There's heavy reliance on people going to their regular doctors for prep but most doctors are clueless about it. With the French model it's just about getting people to the right center.

How common are sex clinics throughout France?

Right. Here on the other side the LGBTs themselves are the ones who need more info/education about how PrEP really works. Very few friends of mine know what PrEP is, but luckily most doctors I've talked to are up to snuff as far as professional knowledge in the field of STDs is involved.

As for sex clinics, there are plenty of them here in Paris and in any big city. Though I suppose PrEP will be difficult to get for those who live in the countryside. For example there are only 2 HIV prevention centres in the "department" where my parents live (departments are kind of like states but much much smaller), the closest one still being a two-hour drive away... 

On the bright side though I've read a few articles that talk about the idea of a possible expansion of the right to prescribe PrEP to "family doctors", provided they receive proper training beforehand.

Edited by paris_student
  • Upvote 1