What's A Good Cd4 Count?

Today I got my latest lab results from my ID doc. In the past, when he would call me, he would just say undetectable and your numbers all look good. Today, he told me my CD4 count is up to 1400. Two years ago when I was first diagnosed, my CD4 count was 700. So it seems like my numbers doubled. I know 1400 is a healthy number but how good is it?

If any guys would like to share their CD4 counts to help give me an idea where I stand, that would be awesome. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Guest Porthos

1400 is above average for an HIV- guy....When you were diagnosed your numbers were very good....Used to be treatment wasn't started until CD4 was below 350, then raised to 500, now they recommend treating everyone...You must have been diagnosed not to long after you were infected.

My CD4 count was 511 at diagnosis...It now fluctuates between 850 and 1100.

Edited by Porthos

skylon, you are correct. I was diagnosed within one month of being infected. Started meds two months later. Do you think the early diagnosis/medication is what is driving the high CD4?

1400 is above average for an HIV- guy....When you were diagnosed your numbers were very good....Used to be treatment wasn't started until CD4 was below 350, then raised to 500, now they recommend treating everyone...You must have been diagnosed not to long after you were infected.

My CD4 count was 511 at diagnosis...It now fluctuates between 850 and 1100.

Guest Porthos

I think the fact you were diagnosed so soon definitely influenced your great numbers....HIV never had a chance to do much if any damage to your immune system...Congratulations and be thankful you were tested early....and the meds are so good.

Once you're into the healthy range, there's really no ideal number.  It's going to naturally fluctuate with any number of factors, including your current state of health, nutrition, exercise, sleep and all that, your genetics, your nadir CD4 count (i.e. how low it got before you went on meds), etc. 

My CD4 counts tend to be a bit on the low side of normal, around 600 or so.  But that's just how I am.  My immune system is fine...I don't get sick much at all (my last cold was a couple years ago).  So as long as you're in that range, you're fine.

I agree with the above post. The actual number doesn't matter so much as where you are now relative to when you started - according to my doctor. 

Let's just hope there isn't another superbug out there that we are barebackers are susceptible to.

The key for us is to make regular trips to the doctor, especially we have a lot of sex partners.  

Once you're into the healthy range, there's really no ideal number.  It's going to naturally fluctuate with any number of factors, including your current state of health, nutrition, exercise, sleep and all that, your genetics, your nadir CD4 count (i.e. how low it got before you went on meds), etc. 

My CD4 counts tend to be a bit on the low side of normal, around 600 or so.  But that's just how I am.  My immune system is fine...I don't get sick much at all (my last cold was a couple years ago).  So as long as you're in that range, you're fine.

exactly.  To the OP, 1400 is a really good number, and many people without HIV dont have a number that high.  CD4 count is a funny thing though, and some people are natually lower than others. I know a guy who is very healthy was on treatment and undetectable within 6 months of infection, yet his CD4 count has never risen above 300, and is normally around 250.  he is for sure an outlier, but rarely gets sick, and has no health complications.  

I said this in another thread too, but doctors are not focusing on CD like they used too.  large drops or rises can occur for many reasons, and unless there is a distinct reason its usually not a big problem.  

• 2 weeks later...

If any guys would like to share their CD4 counts to help give me an idea where I stand, that would be awesome. Thanks!

People here are comparing CD4 counts as if they're absolutes. You can't compare. To poptronic, just know that it's above average and stop worrying about it. Look at your own trend over time. Mine is 300-400, and perfect health, haven't gotten sick in almost 2 years. No one is the same, so you really should avoid relying on other people's CD4 counts to make an informed opinion.

There is no "good CD4 count"; as long as yours is stable or increasing over time, you're fine.

Edited by jtonic

• 2 weeks later...

This is what my doctor said.  CD4 count will go up and down depending on a lot of factors.  Even in the course of a day your count can change pretty drastically.  But the percentage should remain steady.  High 30s and 40 is ideal and means that your immune system is pretty normal.

CD4 can fluctuate depending on many factors.  What is important is the "percentage" of the CD4.  Ask you doctor what the percentage is.  Ideal is 40%.

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest grubbysubby

I agree with the posts above discussing percentage... It was explained to me like this: viral load tells me the amount of attack my immune system is under; and CD4 count tells me the amount of damage that has been done. I was diagnosed in 2007; when they started treatment when CD4 was approaching or under 350. Mine has never gone above 700 since I started treatment.

The test measures CD4, CD8 and B-Cells which are collectively referred to as lymphocytes. The percentage refers to the percentage of lymphocytes that are specifically CD4's. Think of a bag of marbles: if you have 300 marbles, and 150 of them are yellow, then your absolute "yellow marble" count would be 150; and your percentage would be 50%.

When your absolute CD4 count fluctuates massively (I went from 450 to 700 between one set of tests); then your doctor looks at the percentage to work out whether the fluctuation represents anything of importance (good or bad.)

In my case, my percentage had moderately increased, so my doc was able to conclude that at number represented an increase in immune response but it was not huge.

Interestingly, I was back down at 450 the next test; and my percentage was static; so, again, the decrease was not a concern.

What I started to do was look at a trend over time of my percentage and whether that was increasing rather than variations in absolute CD4 count.

• 3 months later...