Asked My Doctor To Get Prep...

CHOamino

• 4 weeks later...

Went to my internal medicine PCP in Tampa and told him I was dating again for the first time in years, and that I'm HIV negative and my boyfriend is POZ but undetectable. 

Without missing a beat, he said "Then you need to be on something called PrEP. You still need to practice safe sex, but it'll protect you if a condom breaks."

I also endorse the Hep A & B vaccine regimen. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Guest Appletree

6 months ago my gp didn't know what prep was. Now he's got five (I'm about to be 6) patients on it and had no problem going ahead with the blood work for me.

I had another doctor, a dermatologist, who I sensed was less than 100% cool with my sexuality and I wonder if that was why he did such a shit job taking care of me.

Both experiences made me seriously regret living in a small town with limited choices in health care providers. Sometimes I'd really like a big city doctor with lots of gay patients.

Regardless, if there's anything ive learned in the last year about medicine it's that you have tyo advocate for yourself as well as you can, even if you think you have a good doctor. I'm sure a lot of us here have learned this by now, as well.

• 4 months later...

Where in DC?

I live in the DC metropolitan area and my primary care physician told me the same thing. He was nice about it and just said he knew nothing about the drug other than that it would help people, but he didn't know enough to prescribe. I called various ID docs in the area. All those that I reached in Virginia told me they didn't do "maintenance work" and wouldn't schedule an appointment. I finally started calling ID docs located in DC and the first one I called scheduled an appointment and got me in to see her in 2 days. No problem getting the prescription.

• 7 months later...

I had to tell my doc about PreP, He was aware of it but didnt know much about it. He said he would do some research on it and then 2 weeks later prescribed it. 

Its a shame that Docs dont prescribe preventative medicine because they just dont know what it is.