Grindr

breederboy

Hey guys so I know about Grindr but haven't actually used it before. Does it show your exact location, or just the general vicinity you are to others? I was going to download it on my phone but chickened out because I didn't want it to show my exact location. So does it just show like how generally close you are to others? Also, can you log off of it when you're not looking/using it? Or does it stay on all the time once you're on it. I am not getting any hits at all on adam4adam or bbrts and so am thinking of trying Grindr.

You can essentially log out by closing the application, not just minimizing. (On Windows phone at least.) And as for location. It only shows your distance relative to other users. For example, if you were checking out a profile that interests you, if that user has location turned on, it would show something like "566 ft/yds away." No specific location, just a distance. Give it a shot! Ya' never know.

Another thing to add:  I'm not sure about Grindr, but on some apps, you can turn off the feature that gives your exact distance away.  Now, people are listed in order on the app, from nearest to farthest, so someone fairly close by will still have some sense of how near you are, but you can still get a little more privacy that way.

Be aware that unless you explicitly log out (which is often surprisingly difficult to do), your presence on the app will be shown for up to a day or so after the last time you used it.  I don't think it's enough to just close the app.  This also makes hooking up sometimes a little annoying since you'll see a guy you like and then notice he hasn't been active in several hours.  This kind of puts a crimp in using the app in a public place like a bar, where you're not really interested in who was there a couple hours ago but who's there now.  Obviously, if you sign in again, it will update your location to the new one and adjust accordingly, but you should be aware that these things are designed so that your presence lingers.  I think this is to make you think there are more potential guys out there than there actually are at any given time.  That keeps you using the app.

I noticed on your message that you like furry otter guys.  In that case, you may want to check out Scruff instead, or in addition.  It's pitched a bit more towards that subgroup.

For men who are more into bears, there's also Growlr.  Scruff and Growlr are the two I've used the most.  I've tried Grindr in the past, and the platform itself is fine, but the guys on it tend to be more on the young and twinkie side, which isn't really my thing.

Finally, Adam4Adam has its own Radar app.

The one annoying thing that all of these mobile phone apps have in common is that they must conform to Google and (especially) Apple's rather restrictive policies.  That means that profiles on these apps can't have any sexually explicit photos or text, and overt mention of drugs is usually a no-no too.  People can and do find ways to get around these restrictions, of course (all of these apps have ways of sending pics from within a chat, and most are OK with nudity if it's only in private pictures), but it does lead to the rather odd situation of a hook-up app forbidding you to solicit sex in your profile.

I like Grindr when I travel but don't use it at home. Almost always the same guys.

I used Growlr and Scruff a lot when I was driving a truck over the road.  Mostly, they were hugely frustrating, because I'd only have a short window of time to meet up with someone and then I'd be gone.  I'd message guys I saw in the app and I wouldn't get a response from them until I was 300 miles down the road the next day.

But if you're visiting a place and staying for a few days, it probably works a lot better.

My experience with grindr has not been that great. Lots of fakes and wannabees. The distance seems to be pretty close but not enough to actually find someone soley on the location info. It is fun when traveling. BBRT has been much better for hookups though the GEO locator is really bad.

I live in the country side, so one time I hooked up with a guy who lives about half hour's drive away from me, he used Grindr as a gps. :D

But in general, I've been sitting right next to guys and they showed on Grindr beeing 30 meters away from me. Also in hotels, sometimes it has showed that they've been 4 meters away from me, so technically they should be in the next room, but then again they could be 30 floors below me. Not to worry as long as there are elevators. ;)

You can turn off the show distance feature while using the app. I find Grindr the least useful of all the hook-up app's. Too many twinks who aren't out and looking for cyber or phone sex. I'd rather have no cock than virtual cock. Scruff, Growlr or here in the UK Fabguys have better potential. But still not great if I'm honest.

I've had some good times with Grindr.  Seems to have a lot of "straight" or dl guys on there looking for fun.  I've had problems with the reliability of the app itself though.  There have been several times where a guy has messaged my and I haven't gotten it at all or got it much later.  

I live near a street that has a lot of adult video stores.  Even when I'm not trying to hook up it's fun to turn on the app and be able to judge from the distances who's cruising the area.  

Well, in the vein of this  Grindr  thread- how many of you guys get a hit from a 21 year old guy, generally about 1700 miles away, that goes along this  line- Him) You have a hot look  Me) yes, thanks for the msg- you are a long ways from me, my profile says local only   Him) I just got back fro working out and I am horny Ha Ha    Me) Of course, are you a robot  or do you not read the profiles or the msgs being sent to you  Him)  Do you have any pics to share?? Me )  open his profile and block him. 

Without much variation in distance or  msg  body, I get about 4 or 5 of these a week when I have the app  going-- and  damned near zero local hits

• Upvote 1