RideMyBlkDik

Exactly How Much Do You Pay For Prep?

61 posts in this topic

I live in the NY/NJ area and my insurance plan is fairly decent.  With my insurance plan, I pay $140 for 30 tablets (that's a 30-day supply of Truvada).  That comes to $4.67 per tablet.  Without my insurance, the pharmacist tells me (and he put the without-insurance cost in writing for me) it would cost me $1,260 for the 30 tablets.  That comes to $42 per tablet.  So with my insurance plan, purchasing Truvada as a pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) I am saving about $37.33 per tablet.

Are my numbers in line with what you are paying for the tablets?  Are you paying less or more than I am? And I wonder if the costs vary based on where you live.

I have no idea if I am paying too much or too little. For me, $140 every 30 days is not cheap. Maybe I can get it cheaper elsewhere.  Please share...

Yes apply for the gilead copay card.

$140/month is pretty high. I don't pay anything, it would withiut the card, $30 /month.

Go apply for the Gilead co-pay card today.  (Lower_bucks_bottom kindly supplied the links above.) The Gilead card works with all commercial insurance plans. Signing up is easy and there's no income-eligibility requirement.

I pay $0 for my PrEP (Truvada) prescription. My insurance co-pay would be $30-45/month but I use the Gilead co-pay assistance card to cover the rest and the pharmacy just processes it like co-insurance so I don't have to do any paperwork or pay anything. 

Gilead's co-pay assistance card will cover your co-pays up to $3600/year now for Truvada.  

In addition to Truvada for PrEP, the co-pay program also helps people taking other Gilead meds.  HIV+ (poz) guys should know about these co-pay assistance plans too because it covers other Gilead drugs that treat HIV that they may be taking.

From the Gilead website (you have to get past the first 4 qualifying questions on the first sign-up page to find these details):

• This program covers up to $6,000 in co-pays per year with no monthly limit for these prescription regimens:
    • GENVOYA® (elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide)
    • STRIBILD® (elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate)
    • COMPLERA® (emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate)
    • ATRIPLA® (efavirenz/emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate)
  • The program covers up to $3,600 in co-pays per year with no monthly limit for this prescription medicine:
    • TRUVADA® (emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate)
  • This program covers up to $3,600 in co-pays per year, with a monthly maximum of $300, for these prescription medicines:
    • VIREAD® (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate)
    • EMTRIVA® (emtricitabine)
    • VITEKTA® (elvitegravir)
  • This program covers up to $600 in co-pays per year, with a monthly maximum of $50 for this prescription medicine:
    • TYBOST® (cobicistat)
Edited by tallbtm

My cost is $40 a month with insurance. I have the copay card that covers that, so my out of pocket is 0.

I pay my $45.00 insurance co-pay each month using pre tax money from my FSA account.

Edited by C10H15N

I live in washington state. Through their PREP/ADAP program the pills are free. Still have to pay some of the doc bills but using county STD testing it's pretty minimal.

Thanks guys. Today I signed up for the Gilead co-pay card.  Like me, you can be sure that there are other men out there who do not know that there's co-pay assistance offered by Gilead. What about HIV+ patients who are on a fixed budget and who believe they can't afford Gilead's other drugs (even though co-pay assistance is available for those Gilead drugs as well)? Lack of the information in this thread could be a life and death decision for some patients.  Thanks again guys.

I get the Truvada at no charge from my pharmacy. I have PPO insurance and I think the pharmacy applies a Gilead credit.

I'm in Toronto -- no copay assistance available here unfortunately. I pay just over $100/month; my insurance picks up the other 90%.

if you go http://www.gileadcopay.com/ or call 1-877-505-6986.you can get a coupon that will pay your copay, meaning you will get your pills for free, a saving of $42 a pill :)

I took your advice. I applied for and received the Gilead copay card. Yesterday I went to the pharmacy to refill my prescription for Truvada. But this time I had the copay assistance card. My cost was zero. I was happy beyond belief. Thanks to you and all the guys in this thread. I really can't thank you enough.

Like everyone else I pay zero.

I was actually paying $10 every three months with my obamacare plan. I felt it was ridiculous to ask gilead to pay for the the $10 when the refill is ~$4K but eventually decided they should just cover it all with the copay card and use money for a beer :)