Exactly How Much Do You Pay For Prep?

RideMyBlkDik

• 2 weeks later...

In Canada here.

The drug plan I have through work came back and told my pharmacist that I needed to fill out a "special request" form and have my doctor sign it. From what my pharmacist said things could go either way with them (he's seen some rejected, and others passed through). If they cover it, my monthly will be ~$100CAD. I have another drug assistance option available through the province but it'd be about ~$320CAD a month.

I'm dying waiting to find out from my private insurance... one more week.

• 4 weeks later...

My insurance covers it and with the copay card I end up paying nothing ($0). I am in the US.

But they make it somewhat difficult to actually get. My doctor sent the prescription to my usual pharmacy (Walgreens) but they immediately called and said my insurance had denied coverage. My insurance CVS/Caremark forces me to go through CVS Specialty pharmacy for Truvada, even though my local Walgreens has it in stock. I think this is a scheme to keep CVS' money from one subsidiary in the same overall company instead of paying out and losing that profit. I've had multiple 30+ minute phone calls with CVS Specialty and I've only been their customer for a month. The only order I've gotten from them arrived when I had one pill left.

So I can't complain about cost, but every 3 months I get to worry about running out of pills and spend a lot of time on hold.

Edited by idude3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2016 at 8:20 PM, idude3 said:

My insurance covers it and with the copay card I end up paying nothing ($0). I am in the US.

But they make it somewhat difficult to actually get. My doctor sent the prescription to my usual pharmacy (Walgreens) but they immediately called and said my insurance had denied coverage. My insurance CVS/Caremark forces me to go through CVS Specialty pharmacy for Truvada, even though my local Walgreens has it in stock. I think this is a scheme to keep CVS' money from one subsidiary in the same overall company instead of paying out and losing that profit. I've had multiple 30+ minute phone calls with CVS Specialty and I've only been their customer for a month. The only order I've gotten from them arrived when I had one pill left.

So I can't complain about cost, but every 3 months I get to worry about running out of pills and spend a lot of time on hold.

I had the same experience.. I'm on day 3 of PreP.   So script was sent to my local Walgreens, later I got a notification from the app stating essentially it was denied. I called walgreens and they gave me a number for CVS Caremark (this was Wednesday). I called CVS and they got my information and then stated that they would have to contact my prescribing Dr for a script.

Thursday, I called to follow up- its in review.

Friday, I called again- we haven't gotten the script from your Dr, so at this I'm ready to call the dr myself. I asked how many times have you called my dr? " looks like they called your dr office once today."  To top it off the lady keeps saying my script for stribild, I tell her that's incorrect as it's only for Truvada. 

Saturday I called - the rep asked if I had a copay card and I gave all the information and she asked where I'd like to have the meds shipped and stated it will be there on Tuesday. I got it on Tuesday. 

All the run around when I could have picked up at Walgreens. I guess they want to keep the money on the "specialty drugs".  

I pay $0 off of pocket. Insurance and Gilead pays it all. 

Edited by Fuckhole2bfilled

[in California] $80 for a 3 month supply through Blue Cross's mail order pharmacy (w/o the co pay).  It was pretty cheap through brick and mortar in conjunction with the copay (but I forget the exact amount), which I previously used.  I unknowingly blew through my $3600 copay and my last brick and mortar prescription was a couple hundred.  So, def research your plan prior to starting.  I'll stick w/ mail order (also I could only get a 30-day supply through the other pharmacy)!

Edited by EastBayRawVers

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2016 at 1:02 PM, KYNegBBbottom said:

Anyone know anything about a GENERIC for Truvada that is made in India?  I've talked to several guys on it.  It's really a LOT cheaper than Truvada.   I'm going to go on it and hope it works as a preventative PrEP. https://www.alldaychemist.com/tenvir-em-300-200mg.html

It is also available from united pharmacies...

Looks like people with United Healthcare is about to get screwed. Already hearing reports that people getting a letter saying that truvada has moved up a tier so it will cost more out of pocket. I have UHC as well but havent received letter yet. Guess its a welcome to Trump America. Time to get screwed hardcore.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, barefootboy said:

I pay very little.  Gilead offers a card for up to $4,000 a year. With my insurance, I have paid a total of $630 over the last 2 years. Go to Gilead's website and sign up for the card if you have not already.

The direct URL for the card is gileadcopay.com or www.gileadadvancingaccess.com.

Gileads offers co-pay assistance on Truvada, but also on Genvoya, Odefsey, Stribild, Complera, Atripla, Descovy, Viread, Emtriva, Viteka and Tybost. 

• 4 months later...

I think the Gilead copay assistance is different depending if you take it because you're poz or using as PrEP.  It also varies on the specific drug.  I learned this year the copay for Truvada as PrEP is limited to $3,000 per year.  My copay would be $407 per month now, so even with the full $3,000, I'd be out of pocket over $1800 for the year.  That along with a couple other reasons prompted me to join their "study" for Descovy as PrEP.  For almost 3 years I'll be in the trial and get everything for free.  It's not proven yet, but most likely effective, and as I've admitted before it's brought back a small part of the risk/thrill of barebacking not really knowing if I'm on that drug and if it actually works....gives me a bit more of a rush every time I take a load in the ass again, not being quite so "confident" :)