Exactly How Much Do You Pay For Prep?

RideMyBlkDik

I started on Prep in March and having been paying $0 thanks to the copay card.  However, my insurance is changing next year and I'm going to be forced to meet my medical deductible first before they will cover any of the Truvada cost.  This means about $1300 since that's my medical deductible.  Now my company gives ups a stipend of about $500 in a health care reimbursement account and I can earn an additional $500 by getting a physical and BS like that...but i'll still be responsible for $300 and jumping through those hoops this year before I get to full coverage again. :-/  Still worth it, but just glad i'm fortunate and can afford it.

I started on Prep in March and having been paying $0 thanks to the copay card.  However, my insurance is changing next year and I'm going to be forced to meet my medical deductible first before they will cover any of the Truvada cost.  This means about $1300 since that's my medical deductible.  Now my company gives ups a stipend of about $500 in a health care reimbursement account and I can earn an additional $500 by getting a physical and BS like that...but i'll still be responsible for $300 and jumping through those hoops this year before I get to full coverage again. :-/  Still worth it, but just glad i'm fortunate and can afford it.

I have really good news for you.

Gilead changed the copay assistance program so they will now reimburse without monthly limits up to $3600/year. So fill that RX at the beginning of the year and Gilead will pick up all your deductible and you'll be even done with medicals deductibles for the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I pay $0 per month after Gilead "co-pay assistance" and I am not low income or anything like that.  I'm on Humana and do not consider it to be a very good plan based on regular co-pays and deductibles.  On my plan Truvada is a "specialty" drug, and my share is 25% of the cost (I think) which comes to $353 per month.  Gilead (manufacturer) co-pay assistance used to be $300 per month max, so I was paying $53 per month - and definitely getting my money's worth :)!!!!  About 4-5 months ago, something with the co-pay assistance changed, and my share became $0.  I have not asked any questions.  No questions about income or anything - you just sign up online and they assign you a number you give to pharmacy, and it's been automatic ever since.  

• 2 weeks later...

Currently nothing thanks to how my health plan is set up in NW Wisconsin.  

Got on a special plan that pays all deductibles for everything.  Otherwise, it's 20 bucks through my insurance plan if I wasn't on the special plan.  

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BtmByTheBay

I just started mine today, and it cost $0 for now. I've got a copay card, and prep assistance from Strut; those actually soak up almost all of the cost for the year.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest indynudeguy

First off, thanks for all the information guys.  I'm looking into Prep.  My pharmacy show a price of approx. $1,400 for a 30 day supply.  It is a Tier 5 drug on my drug plan (the highest), which mean that I would have a 33% co-pay,roughly $466.  My question,  would this be the price they charge everyone, or is there a different base price depending on the insurance company?  I don't qualify for the gilead card.

Edited by indynudeguy

Almost no one pays the listed price ($1,400-1,500). Actual price depends upon the insurance company. PrEP was a Tier 5 drug until a little over a year ago when my insurer (Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO) reduced it to a Tier 4. I do not buy PrEP from my local retail pharmacy - price would be too high. My insurer has a mail order option which allows me to order it in a 90 day supply for $80 co-pay. Check to see if your company has something similar. Also, Gilead did away with their low income requirement for the Gilead Copay Card. Unless you get a total reimbursement for your co-pays, the Gilead card will work for you. Check it out again.