Effectiveness Of Prep

AdamKY

If one who is on PrEP took some high count loads - in his hole or by slamming - is it possible some of the virus might get passed on a few hours/days/weeks later before the PrEP neutralized the high count loads? Might I be pozzing somebody without realizing it?

• Upvote 1

Well, I thought this would be easy to answer but my google-fu is weak tonight. No definitive answer I can find, but...it seems as if the virus does remain present in semen inside the body for at least a short time, so if another top came along immediately after the bottom received the toxic load and the second top got enough active virus entering his urethra (or open sores, gross!) then he could be at risk of infection. But the time frame is pretty short, hours at the most.

That's the best I can distill out of an hour of googling.

If one who is on PrEP took some high count loads - in his hole or by slamming - is it possible some of the virus might get passed on a few hours/days/weeks later before the PrEP neutralized the high count loads? Might I be pozzing somebody without realizing it?

You would still have to sero-convert.  So you cant pass it on unless you become HIV+ Is it possible, well of course, but if you take your PrEP as directed the chance is very low.  PrEP essentially makes it impossible for HIV to replicate in your body.  

Let me ask this question in another way… If I take a toxic load and it gets into my system at that moment and for a time I would be poz - before the Truvada had a chance to do its thing. If I were to fuck another guy during this time, say a few hours or a couple of days, would my cum be poz and put the guy I just fucked at risk (especially if a dirty rigs were shared)? This would be the original poz cum passing through to the other guy.

Let me ask this question in another way… If I take a toxic load and it gets into my system at that moment and for a time I would be poz - before the Truvada had a chance to do its thing. If I were to fuck another guy during this time, say a few hours or a couple of days, would my cum be poz and put the guy I just fucked at risk (especially if a dirty rigs were shared)? This would be the original poz cum passing through to the other guy.

you cant become HIV+ for a moment, you are either HIV+ or HIV-, and your bodily fluids correspond to that status. So your answer is No.  However if you do have HIV+ semen in your ass and an HIV- person fucks you after in theory it is possible to infect that person while you remain and your semen remain HIV-. 

As far as "dirty rigs" are concerned I am assuming you are talking about injecting drugs or using dirty sex toys.  Either way is just a bad idea FYI.  If a needle is shared among three people for example, and one is HIV+, one is HIV-, and one is neg on PrEP then yes, HIV could be spread, while skipping the person on PrEP.  The best idea however is to NEVER EVER share injection drug supplies.  You put yourself at very high risk for all kinds of infections, from Hep C to bacterial infections that can cause heart failure.  Sex toys can easily be cleaned with soap and water making them much less infection to others.       

• Upvote 1

As far as "dirty rigs" are concerned I am assuming you are talking about injecting drugs or using dirty sex toys.  Either way is just a bad idea FYI.  If a needle is shared among three people for example, and one is HIV+, one is HIV-, and one is neg on PrEP then yes, HIV could be spread, while skipping the person on PrEP.  The best idea however is to NEVER EVER share injection drug supplies.  You put yourself at very high risk for all kinds of infections, from Hep C to bacterial infections that can cause heart failure.  Sex toys can easily be cleaned with soap and water making them much less infection to others.       

No worry. I don't share needles and such ever, just using that scenario as an example in my query.  

Being HIV+ is defined as having established a HIV viral reservoir that to this day, is an irreversible, for life status. PrEP works by stopping HIV from establishing this reservoir so your body fluids can't infect others while on PrEP.  Others that fuck you getting infected from foreign high viraled loads is a theoretical possibility...