Drug Resistance Acquired During Hiv Prep Rapidly Disappears After Medication Is Discontinued

rawfuckr

This new study further makes the case for PrEP. Some people were concerned that if you seroconvert while on PrEP you'll develop resistant strains while taking PrEP. This seem to have happened during partners PrEP, a straight study of PrEP users. 

Seems like if you simply stop PrEP after seroconverting the resistant strains will disappear and you'll get regular strains flourishing which are vulnerable to normal drugs. If I understand it correctly, this means you have to be off meds for a bit for this to happen which I'm not sure it's optimal. 

http://www.aidsmap.com/Drug-resistance-acquired-during-HIV-PrEP-rapidly-disappears-after-medication-is-discontinued/page/3020093/

Edited by rawfuckr

It is:

PrEP with emtricitabine/tenofovir (Truvada) or tenofovir (Viread) alone is highly effective at preventing infection with HIV. However, resistance to these antiretroviral drugs has been detected in individuals who initiated PrEP during unrecognized acute HIV infection, and, very rarely, in patients infected with HIV while taking PrEP.

I thought it was nearly impossible to have hiv while on prep...

The study on the post was with straight people. Also, IV users with close to perfect adherence showed 70% prep efficacy... So prep seems to offer close to perfect protection for gay men, less so for other groups.

So prep breakthrough seroconversions can happen and resistance is a concern.

No one should live their life thinking prep is bulletproof. Nothing is.