On Friday I was visited by a worker from the health department she was told me that I might be positive for syphilis.  I have to go to a clinic monday to confirm that I have Syphilis.  One of my first thoughts was to check this group to look about syphilis. I googled Syphilis too to learn as much as I can.  It helped me to understand about Syphilis so I wanted to thank everyone for their posts about stds.  I'll update this to help others who might find themselves in the same situation.  

rates of infection have increased since the turn of the millennium in many countries, often in combination with human immunodeficiency virus(HIV). This has been attributed partly to increased promiscuityprostitution, decreasing use of condoms, and unsafe sexual practices among men who have sex with men.[

found out earlier in the week that i have syp as well.....found the above in the wiki listing for syphillis.....

combo with hiv+   yeah got that,    increased promiscuity   yeah probably am guilty of that......decrease in use of condoms...hell yeah...never used them.....and unsafe sexual practices in sex with men.....well duh......

sounds like i was following a how to manual......not an std avoidance plan........

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The usual treatment here is a large shot of penicillin (unless you're allergic to it, like I am, in which case you get a much longer run of a different antibiotic).

Syphilis is one of those bugs that frequently has no symptoms at all. If left untreated, the potential effects can include dementia and, ultimately death. Several well-known nineteenth century artists died of it. So it's important that you get tested regularly.

It's also much easier to treat if caught early. Once it crosses into nervous tissue it takes a much more serious intervention...we're talking things like picc lines delivering antibiotics intravenously for weeks.

Edited by PhoenixGeoff
  • Upvote 1

The wigs worn by aristocrats in the 18th century were worn to cover their hair falling out from rampant syph.

The craziness of historic leaders and the likelihood they were all syph poz is well theorized.

Euro royals were said to be mostly infected with syph..

Could explain their psychopathic policies..

Anyways guys, get tested for syph. It can be some nasty shit but rather easily curable.

• Moderators

I have written about this before, but I had to deal with a case of secondary syph a few years ago.

I am not sure when I picked it up because the original chancre was almost certainly up my butt. In the summer of 2010, I got a rash on my arms. We had been clearing brush in the yard, so I didn't think much of it. But it just kept spreading. Fortunately my doctor recognized what it was almost immediately - syphilis in stage 2. I got huge injections of penicillin and suffered through an exceedingly painful Jarish-Herxsheimer reaction that night. Further tests showed I was cured, but I don't want to go through that again. I get regularly tested for STIs now. 

Syphilis will eventually destroy the brains of almost everyone infected by it, if they don't get it treated. It is somewhat easily cured, with possible side effects. (read drscorpio's experience above)

I've had a few bouts of syph over the years. Nothing that a painful injection of penicillin in the ass can't cure or a presription of pills if you're allergic to pen.

Just get it treated and it won't hurt your brain. Syph is quite rampant in the gay community nowadays but rather easily treatable.