Your Mail Service Needs To Be Bz Friendly

rawTOP

• Administrators

I've been putting a lot of accounts back to "Validating" forcing them to redo their email validation. The reason is I'm getting cryptic bounces from their mail servers rejecting the emails. I've checked and the server I'm using to send email is NOT on any email blacklists. When I checked into that particular error code (554) I see that some mail servers use that code if they think the message is spam. In other words, the server isn't blocked, but the particular message is blocked. That means they're analyzing the contents of the message and decide they don't like it and think it's spam. This is happening on email validation emails, so we're not even talking about racy emails. They just don't like Breeding Zone.

So, to say the least, when you have to provide a "valid email" that means one that we can get messages through to. If your email host doesn't like sexual content, or just has a thing against Breeding Zone, then that's not a "valid email" for the purposes of this site.

And specifically this seems to be happening with Microsoft-owned email services – hotmail.com, outlook.com, etc.

If you can white list emails, then add support@studio3x.com to your list.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Administrators

Now that we're on a new server with a new IP address, I'm trying to clean up email issues…

For those of you who are technical, I've changed from PHP sending the email to sending it through an SMTP server. I've also set up SPF, DKIM and DMARC with pretty strict settings.

This should help our emails get through more often.

Right now there are a lot of bad email addresses in the system and because a lot of people were set to get notified immediately when something got posted in a thread they were following, it meant a lot of email bounces. I tried setting things to force people to revalidate bad email addresses, but the system kept sending notification emails to bad addresses. So I've had to change things so you'll only get one email notification for per login. This means a drastic reduction in email notifications for many of you.

And I should add the German email service "GMX" and "web.de" seems to be refusing everything we send their way. Not sure if that will change with all the changes on our end.

• Like 1

Not sure if you can do this within the software you have, but can you flag accounts with bouncing email addresses, such that when those people log on, they get a big, impossible-to-ignore popup or something that notifies them their address is rejecting BZ mail and it needs to be dealt with?

You could, if you wanted, make it part of your terms of service that in the event of email bounces, all email notifications (and the ability to follow new topics) will be disabled until you change your email address, or something like that. But I think the "in your face" notification will be the only thing that gets their attention to know to fix it.

• Administrators

Just an update… Some of the changes I've made to how emails are sent mean more of them are getting through (apparently).

I'm going to start getting aggressive about bad emails. I'm currently trying to figure out how to best handle it. The software running this site doesn't make it easy.

• Like 1

• rawTOP unpinned and locked this topic
  • 5 months later...
  • Administrators

For those of you using an email service run by Apple (@icloud.com, @me.com), just realize they censor emails based on the content of the message. They don't appear to allow emails with adult content to be delivered.