Ode To Our Now Closed Gay Treasures.

PozSlime

In L.A., the infamous Hollywood Spa closed in 2014 because the property owner increased the lease amount by 200%.  This past June, the much smaller and less famous Melrose Spa closed after 52 years at the end of June; the landlord needed the building to be vacated in order to sell the property as a redevelopment site.

In San Diego, the Mustang aka 2200 bathhouse was shut down by the city about 10 years ago, and the Vulcan bathhouse was closed by the owner about four years ago in order to sell the site to developers.

Gone, but not forgotten.

11 hours ago, Ragnar13 said:

Jesus, how fucked-up is it that we got gay marriage and increasing recognition of trans rights, but are loosing the bathhouses? 

That is my big concern. IN our drive to obtain equal legal status in a relationship a large section of the gay community seems bent on shoehorning us into the same failed cookie-cutter relationship structure of the heterosexual mainstream (if you can cal a barely 50% marriage rate mainstream anymore) to market us as "Just like everyone else."  Sorry, most males aren't built for monogamy--it's not in our DNA--and the whole "cheating" concept so central to the hetero structure will create an entire level of destruction to the gay male if we are forced to have a single sex partner the rest of our lives.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DAMN!  I totally agree with you in this issue.  Most relationships, no matter what area you profess to be part of always end up cheating for some reason or another.  Why can't we just allow each other to be OPEN to sharing each other's inner fantasy's; without any labels.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 8:03 AM, Ragnar13 said:

Jesus, how fucked-up is it that we got gay marriage and increasing recognition of trans rights, but are loosing the bathhouses? 

The loss of traditional gay public sex venues is sad, but paradoxically, gay marriage will help sustain the remaining venues. Gay marriage assures a steady supply of men who need to breed/get bred by men other than their husbands. ?

Edited by fskn

• 1 month later...

Seattle lost Tribe aka Basic Plumbing (BP) when it closed for good on January 30, 2012.  It is now a 24 hour restaurant.  Steamworks and Club Z are still in business but Steamworks no longer has it's steam room.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:51 AM, cannero said:

But if I had one regret in sleazy London locations, I wish I had got to the Fort at least once. I remember fucking an absolute pig one night who was a pretty no limit sort of guy, and when he said the fort was too sleazy for him I got interested. it pretty much closed soon after before I could get there.

Was in the Fort twice. Most decadent place I have ever fucked in I think.

• Upvote 1

its not because of gay marriage that the baths are closing its the asshole landlords jacking the rent up 200% so they can get the businesses out and sell the place for a fortune. Can't last forever the bottoms going to drop out of the market again and I hope these greedy asshole loose everything and end up on the street. 

• Upvote 1

I want to mention the YMCA in NYC (West Side, 5 West 63rd Street ), where I first had sex with other men. In the early/mid 70's one could rent a room in one of the men's floors (something like floor 10 and 11). Rooms were small and smelly but the action was very hot. That was my first time I spent one night in my room with the door ajar taking loads. I was in my 20's and guys would line up.

• 1 month later...

Within the span of a few months Toronto will have gone from four bathhouses to two. The Cellar closed a few months ago, and Central Spa is closing before the end of December.

I don't live in Toronto, but have always made a point of visiting a bathhouse at least once whenever I'm in town. For years it was St. Marc Spa, which later became G.I. Joe. I had some great times there, and still miss it. After G.I. Joe closed I started going to Central Spa. It had it's pluses, but I never became too attached. Still, it's a terrible loss to see it close. But The Cellar will probably be the biggest loss to us cumpigs. That place was raunchy. In all of my hook-ups there, I don't think anyone even asked about condom use. It was just assumed that everyone there was down with barebacking. I deeply regret that I didn't get around to trying this place sooner than I did.

7 minutes ago, bredbiyou said:

Within the span of a few months Toronto will have gone from four bathhouses to two. The Cellar closed a few months ago, and Central Spa is closing before the end of December.

I don't live in Toronto, but have always made a point of visiting a bathhouse at least once whenever I'm in town. For years it was St. Marc Spa, which later became G.I. Joe. I had some great times there, and still miss it. After G.I. Joe closed I started going to Central Spa. It had it's pluses, but I never became too attached. Still, it's a terrible loss to see it close. But The Cellar will probably be the biggest loss to us cumpigs. That place was raunchy. In all of my hook-ups there, I don't think anyone even asked about condom use. It was just assumed that everyone there was down with barebacking. I deeply regret that I didn't get around to trying this place sooner than I did.

I came on to write about these two.  I loved the nooner specials at the Cellar:  An incredible cheap price to get in at lunchtime and the place was packed.  That back hall was so dark you could find men doing any and everything back there.  I am so glad I had one last fuck there this August with a hot young man who begged for my load in his  perfect, round ass.