Why Do Republicans Hate Gay People?

PozSlime

Why do conservatives/Republicans hate gay people in America? I've heard conservative Americans actually admit they want to kill all gay people.

Why do conservatives hate gay people worldwide.

Conservative Brits can often be as anti-gay as Republican Americans. A conservative bigot is a conservative bigot, regardless of where they live.

Why do American Republican politicians pass homophobic, anti-gay, bigoted laws aimed at destroying freedom of gay people.

North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Arizona, South Carolina for example have recently passed some very alarming anti-gay bigoted laws against gay people. Anti-TG, anti marriage equality, anti gay employment.

I'm hoping that some of our conservative posters can elaborate.

Explain conservative Republican hatred for gay people.

Hate is an AmeriCON 'value'.

• Upvote 2

You realize there are gay Republicans, right? Ever heard of Log Cabin Republicans? There are also Republican allies like Ted Olson, who is one of the attorneys that got Prop 8 overturned.

Before you give a pass to Democrats, you should review these videos:

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Both of these videos are several years old, and while they are sad and pathetic, both individuals have changed their positions, and so posting these is unnecessary and obsolete.  

Regarding Republicans and gays:  As with any party, there are individuals who support equality, and individuals who don't.  I am not Republican, but I will say that there are many Republicans who support equality for all people; their party choice is economic and not social, though the two are often hard to separate.  I think it is better to frame the original question in terms of religious background, and too many Republicans believe that the US is a Christian country, when it isn't.  It is a secular country.  Religious doctrine should play no role in legislation, and those who forget that, will find their legislation challenged judicially, and it will be overturned based on both federal law, and Supreme Court precedent.

They recently changed their positions, after spending the majority of their lives being against gay marriage. Were they hateful bigots before? I doubt many of their gay supporters would accuse them of that.

BTW, when are Obama and Hillary going to protest and boycott Saudi Arabia, a country that arrests and even executes its gay citizens? Not to mention how they treat their women. Some civil rights champions...

• Upvote 5

The religion is the driving force behind the bigotry but the people making the actual rules do so for different reasons.

A politician will say anything that needs to be said to get votes and a preacher says stuff to get money in the plate so morality plays second string to expediency.

The true believers are quite easy to spot as they don't waver from a position no matter what the evidence or voters say.

For current examples look no further than the US political clusterfuck.

Whilst Clinton is probably a good person she is also a political weathervain.

Sanders will continue to say the right thing even if it makes him less electable in the minds of the public.

Drumpf will say anything to get votes but Cruz is a true believer.

The issue is that Cruz believes appears to have a massive boner for the apocalypse.

From a practical point of view I care more about what they do rather than why they do it so on balance as long as its not president haircut or lizard lips I'm happy.

As is usual, there is never a standard or simple answer. It is a blanket statement and stereotype to fit all Republicans, or even conservatives, under the umbrella of "hate."  Though it is a large umbrella, and a lot of people fit under it.

Having qualified that, there are a lot of people who believe that being gay is contrary to their "God."  Of course, it is still their idea of "God," usually based on their read of their scripture.  But they do not see it as belief, but as "truth" or "Gods word," etc..

I think what is behind the "hate" is the desire to establish a stance or code of right and wrong that is considered dependable and offers an illusion of security. Nothing like being on "Gods side" to make you feel good about yourself.  

• 9 months later...

Republicans pander to conservatives, and conservatives are flush with the American brand of Christianity. The hage rhetoric espoused by the conservative right is simply appalling. It seems to be about battling those that are not like them. They crush 1st Amendment rights while fighting for unbridled 2nd Amendment deregulation. 

Picture this: a young man, a patriotic man, a Christian man from a deeply Baptist family, cut down in his prime in service of his country as a US Marine. Yet the religious-conservative right would shun him simply for being Black and gay. 

He was the love of my life, I will never accept that he was less than worthy in the eyes of Jesus. I am not deeply religious myself but I know that being gay put a great deal of stress on him. He never came out to his family for fear of being shunned. We loved each other as much as any couple could. Yet, in the eyes of the right, he was a sinner while other parishioners commit crimes, cheat, or get divorced and are forgiven. 

The more the right can spit lies and marginalize minorities, the stronger they become. They all about "you vs me" as opposed to "we".

• Upvote 4

I love this question. It brings up so many other points.

First...I am not a Democrat nor a Republican. My political beliefs tend to be center-right. 

To the individual who said those videos are obsolete...not in the sense that they did not believe in gsy marriages up until the Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage was legal. Which, by the way, was ruled legal WITH a very conservative justice Antinon Scallia (spelling) on the court. 

Jeb Bush. There are a ton of gay Republican donors that liked him. One of the top people on his campaign staff was gay. When asked in a forum out in San Francisco whether he believed in gay marriage Jeb answer? He did not believe in it for his own beliefs...however, if 2 adults wanted to get married and loved each other they should be able to. Period.  

Everyone seems to forget that 2 things happened at the Republican National Convention this past year. One was there was a strong push by some to include the glbt community in the Republican platform. It was voted down by those same religious conservatives that "hate" us.

Then, during his acceptance speech, President Trump made a point to say to the glbt community that "you will not be forgotten" and so forth. Then, after some applause, Trump went off script and thanked the audience for recognizing and applauding that...especially at a Republican Convention. That has never happened! 

But on the downside, he picks gay hater Mike Pence as his running mate. While a good conservative politician, Pence hates gays. I mean anyone who believes in conversion therapy is nuts in my book. But Vice-president Pence isn't running things. Trump is. 

Do I like Donald Trump? I hated him during the primary and did not vote for him in our primary election. However, I am going to give him a chance. You know how politicians run on things and don't end up doing them? It's safe to say that President Trump is doing the things that he ran on...like them or not. 

I'm not blind, nor an apologist. However the election is over. Let's move on and hope for the best. There are a ton of bad people and nations in the world that hate us gays as well. Some of these are even provoking the United States. Not cool. 

Finally, remember Brian from the US version of "Queer As Folk"? He said something like I'd rather have someone hate me to my face then behind my back.  

So I don't think it's Republicans so much as religious conservatives that hate us. 

But don't forget all the other Religions that hate us as well. 

Practice whatever you want. Or don't. Just don't shove it in my face. And dont let it interfere with MY life. That's my position. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

The social side of the Republican party is still dominated by the religious groups. In the American southeast, the power and influence of the Church is VERY strong and damaging. Note that the area of greatest religious influence is the same region with the highest drug use problems and greatest occurrences of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. It is also the most xenophobic as well. That translates politically into a group that places the white hetrosexual male above ll else (even though it is this creature that crashed our economy in 2008 and not the blacks, mexicans or gays.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the influence of the evangelicals is diminishing in the current Republican party. Donald Trump is the first president that went into office supporting gay marriage. His campaign brought together a number of unlikely allegiances, which has broken the traditional target audience for the Republican party. Where in the past, Evangelicals were a strong voting block that couldn't be ignored, their influence has been diluted by groups that have been brought into the fold in order to get Trump into the White House. (The enemy of my enemy is my friend.) 

Donald Trump campaigned strongly for the black vote, which was taking for granted by the Democratic party. Blacks - and gays - would get a few mentions in Democratic speeches but were mostly treated as an ATM for campaign coffers. 

I think the Republican party is trying to figure out who they are at this point, given Donald isn't particularly conservative. His positions are all over the place. Specific to gays, he's been supportive of the community and included sexual orientation protection into the temporary travel ban. I think we'll be OK.

Mike Pence recently said, " If I saw a restaurant owner refuse to serve a gay couple, I wouldn't eat there anymore,"

• Upvote 1