Poz Bbrt Guys - What Label Do You Use?

Groeg

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - don't know where to post it.

Neg on PREP here and usually take poz loads. But for all my hot poz tops out there in BBRT-land, do you label yourself "positive" or "undetectable"? If someone marks themselves "positive" rather than "undetectable", should I assume their viral load is detectable? Or are you not sure? Or is the distinction not important to you?

I don't really care either way, I'm just curious to see what you guys think.

Edited by Groeg

If someone marks themselves (in BBrt)"positive" rather than "undetectable", should I assume their viral load is detectable? Or are you not sure? Or is the distinction not important to you?

From what I've noticed many undetectable guys have their HIV status as "Positive". Maybe some forget to change it after they start takings meds.

From what I've noticed many undetectable guys have their HIV status as "Positive". Maybe some forget to change it after they start takings meds.

@HungryHole - that's what I've noticed too, which is the source of my confusion.  I was confused if guys were just labelling "positive" as an opposite to "negative" without any further parsing, of if there was some kind of meaning behind it.   

Although I'm a bottom, I label myself on BBRT as "positive" because having an undetectable viral load doesn't make me HIV negative. I still carry the virus. Plus, even though I'm on meds, every so often my blood work detects a low viral load. My Dr makes me do the blood work again and he thinks these blips are due to the lab's testing.  Since I only bareback, I just classify myself as Poz and if asked will say I'm undetectable as of my last blood work.  

I have experienced the same confusion on this also. I would like it if they had a category for poz and not on meds. Which would most likely mean the guy does have a viral load. I find myself asking guys that have themselves listed as positive if they are on meds. or not. Some get all pissed off about it. If I knew if the guy says he is positive that he is not on meds. and he will most likely have a viral load. Many times I would very much like to hook up with a guy that was poz and not on meds. How viral he was wouldn't  matter and we would not have to discuss status at all.   I would just know that I would be taking a chance of getting knocked up when having sex with the guy. Which is a good thing!!!

Although I'm a bottom, I label myself on BBRT as "positive" because having an undetectable viral load doesn't make me HIV negative. I still carry the virus. Plus, even though I'm on meds, every so often my blood work detects a low viral load.

This definitely clarifies it for me because being on Meds does not necessarily mean "undetectable".

I don't want to sound as if I am preaching because I am not. Been around the block a few times. Some poz guys will say they are undetectable and some will say they aren't on meds. The bottom line is if you plan on going bareback, the risk is going to be there. Guys can say anything. Some guys like myself are ok having anon sex and not knowing the guys status. Risky behavior? You bet. It isn't for everyone.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to sound as if I am preaching because I am not. Been around the block a few times. Some poz guys will say they are undetectable and some will say they aren't on meds. The bottom line is if you plan on going bareback, the risk is going to be there. Guys can say anything. Some guys like myself are ok having anon sex and not knowing the guys status. Risky behavior? You bet. It isn't for everyone.

I'm th same way. It honestly doesn't matter to me. I was just trying to gain a better understanding of how people identify their status.

I think it's a good and valid question, but as has been pointed out, having the answer does not equal knowing lol. 

I answer "poz and on meds" because it seems the most accurate, since even on meds ones detectable status can change. For me the message is "I'm doing what I can to try and minimize infection risk while still engaging is risky behavior." 

• 5 months later...

not poz here so I label myself as neg.   Has now been a while since last test but have only been fucked twice since then and one of those times was my regular who is neg and the other was unknown, so maybe should change mine to don't know until I do get tested again.