Sti's While On Prep. Are They Really That Bad?

IAcollegeguy

Hi guys. I really want to start barebacking and I'm considering getting on Prep to help prevent getting HIV. I've been fully vaccinated for Hep B and got my first dose of vaccines for HPV and Hep A a few days ago so I'm not too worried about those, my only concerns are other STI's like chlamydia, syphilis and gonorrhea (which I know are all curable).

I guess my question is, has it ever been that big of a deal if you've gotten chlamydia, gonorrhea or syphilis while barebacking/is it really something to worry about? Also is it pretty easy to treat these STI's if you happen to get them? And finally, do you even get these STI's that often? I'd like to hear thoughts about this from guys who have been on prep for a while. Feel free to mention other STI's if you think they're worth mentioning.

Syphillis, chlamydia and gonorrhea are pretty easily cured with antibiotics. Just make sure you are tested for them every 3-6 months. Syphillis can progress to a serious illness if left untreated. I get tested every time I go in for my PrEP check up. I have not caught any of them, but I am not an extreme barebacker. I only bb, but probably less than 20-30 guys a year. The things I would worry about most are HSV2 (herpes) and HPV. These are not curable. HEPC is also another worry although it is now curable most of the time. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience -- your mileage may vary:

In 2 years on PrEP I've had gonorrhea twice and syphilis once. They weren't fun, but easily treated.

I feel better playing mostly with other guys on PrEP or poz guys under regular medical care -- since they're more likely to be tested every 3-6 months. But I'll admit sometimes it's hard to stay out of the sling at CumUnion and let a rando pump one into me.

I'd be more concerned if sexually transmitted Hepatitis C starts to become more widespread. So far that's pretty rare but I'm keeping an eye on the news coverage.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got gonorrhea a month after going on prep and fucking two guys, one who is now my bf and there other was a random hookup. The quarterly testing with prep is nice for discovering if you caught anything. Worst part of it was telling my husband and now bf and having them go get antibiotics too.

I take PReP when I know that I'm going to be fucking about and went to Europe last year and was at one of the huge fuck parties in Berlin during Folsom. I top only but came home with a dose of Hep C. Fortunately (it was geno type 1 a) it cleared after 5 months and there are no after affects.. so that is another one to consider.  

Same here, seems I get something every few weeks. In the age of prep, it is surprising that people don't go to the doctor more often and that these illnesses get more controlled. I blame the "do not know/do not care" people.

If you're old enough to fuck you're old enough to get yourself screened every three months for STIs (more often if you're popular). Don't wait for symptoms: over 50% of the time you don't have any symptoms. STIs can do a lot of damage to your system if left untreated and HIV isn't the only STI that can kill left untreated.

• 1 month later...

I'd be more concerned if sexually transmitted Hepatitis C starts to become more widespread. So far that's pretty rare but I'm keeping an eye on the news coverage.

WHO (World Health Organisation) have a campaign to try and eliminate Hepatitis C by 2030. Don't know how successful it will be but the meds are certainly around now for it to be a real possibility... just need to make sure everyone, especially in any at risk groups, get tested.

The other big one to worry about is med-resistant Gono which is on the increase.

Casual antibiotic use is a great way of ensuring that bacteria get practice in at becoming resistance to antibiotics. Truvada as PrEP works by ensuring that any HIV encountered is totally eliminated before it has a chance to establish an infection. Different bacteria are susceptible to different antibiotics. I once took six different antibiotics on holiday to the USA (during the HIV+ ban), each labelled with the symptoms of the disease they were to treat. an unsatisfactory approach, but the only viable one at the time. Regular STI check-ups and treatment when appropriate remain the best way to deal with STIs other than HIV (prophylaxis) Hep A/B and HPV (vaccination).

• 2 weeks later...