My Poz Doctor Is Anti-Prep

coltonblack

Are you solely barebacking, and does your doctor realize the diploma to which you bareback?  i'm guessing that his warning can be based on the belief which you would use condoms if not on PREP.  I assume he desires to avoid a false feel of protection while there are other STD (like HEP C) that one could settlement.  in case you are an one-of-a-kind barebacker, and the document knows that, then he is being irresponsible in not prescribing PREP routinely to minimize publicity to HIV.

• 4 years later...

I like your doctor! I took truvada for over 6 months.. It made me feel ill. Sick.. nauseated.. My joints hurt. I told my doctor about these symptoms. Told him it is not worth me feeling so bad every time I take it. He said barebacking is a choice.. As I told him I will always bear back.. No matter what. As I explained to him having sex exclusively with guys with HIV or AIDS.. is so incredibly euphoric and hands down the most incredible sex I have ever had. I would never stop. I wish your doctor was my doctor..

My doctor is positive as well.. Can't tell you how many times I would want to tell him how much I would love to sleep with him.. would love to have risky sex with him! Accept his HIV DNA.

I had a lot of vivid dreams as well.. many different categories.. most of them sexual..

I would love to ask your doctor to share his HIV with me.. ☣️✔️

• Like 6

Sustiva gave me dreams, not the Truvada.  The side effects from the Truvada portion of every medication I've had has been minimal.  I had weird, intense dreams from Sustiva.  Also, Sustiva made me almost instantly drowsy for the first two years I was on it.  I got off Sustiva once the neuropathy was ruining my ability to play my brass instrument.  Stribild and Genvoya gave me 40 additional pounds in 2 years.  Biktarvy has been a lot of nothing to see here; haven't noticed much of anything.

Basically, though, if you can't handle Truvada, what are they planning on treating you with if you become positive? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 9:55 PM, coltonblack said:

OK so I recently talked to my doctor about starting prep. I was shocked when he told me that he didn't think it was a good idea. He said we still don't know the long term side effects and that too many of his patients were getting infected with HEP C. He did say that if I really wanted it, he would prescribe but he warned me about the increase in other STDs going on.

Part of me appreciates what he's saying but part of me wonders if he just doesn't like prep?

BTW, my doc is open about his HIV status. Oh and I'm getting vaccinated for HEP on my next visit.

Thoughts?

Fast forward five years...  And the doc's point is worth considering.  TaSP is quite effective all by itself.  If one mostly bareback's Undetectable poz guys one's risk of HIV is virtually nil.  But indeed even still five years later it is the other STI's which are dominating the infectious disease guys.  And treatments for those more challenging.  And while it is possible mRNA solutions might be combatively near at hand for those; the things it is this fairly continuous set of STI's that my local clinic treats me for much more often than 10 years ago    I was on PrEP until I retired and started Medicare.  It is cost prohibitive for me to buy a drug plan that includes PrEP; whereas their are still no cost HIV treatment available (at least by me).  I honestly don't much care since I am on similar medication either way; and long term prognosis is acceptable either way.  So PrEP for my particular demographic is too expensive.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 10:55 PM, coltonblack said:

OK so I recently talked to my doctor about starting prep. I was shocked when he told me that he didn't think it was a good idea. He said we still don't know the long term side effects and that too many of his patients were getting infected with HEP C. He did say that if I really wanted it, he would prescribe but he warned me about the increase in other STDs going on.

Part of me appreciates what he's saying but part of me wonders if he just doesn't like prep?

BTW, my doc is open about his HIV status. Oh and I'm getting vaccinated for HEP on my next visit.

Thoughts?

I would go with what your doctor says. The HIV meds including truvada/descovy all have negative short and long term side effects and are anywhere from only 60-70% effective, do not protect against Hep C or other diseases, and it is not a magic pill.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:08 PM, PULLOUTPUSHINN said:

I like your doctor! I took truvada for over 6 months.. It made me feel ill. Sick.. nauseated.. My joints hurt. I told my doctor about these symptoms. Told him it is not worth me feeling so bad every time I take it. He said barebacking is a choice.. As I told him I will always bear back.. No matter what. As I explained to him having sex exclusively with guys with HIV or AIDS.. is so incredibly euphoric and hands down the most incredible sex I have ever had. I would never stop. I wish your doctor was my doctor..

My doctor is positive as well.. Can't tell you how many times I would want to tell him how much I would love to sleep with him.. would love to have risky sex with him! Accept his HIV DNA.

I had a lot of vivid dreams as well.. many different categories.. most of them sexual..

I would love to ask your doctor to share his HIV with me.. ☣️✔️

What does your HIV+ doctor say when you told him you are always going to be a bearback cum dump for HIV+ men both detectable and supposedly undetectable, with AIDS, high viral loads, etc. yet you refuse to use condoms or take prep? 🤔

2 hours ago, TotalTop said:

I would go with what your doctor says. The HIV meds including truvada/descovy all have negative short and long term side effects and are anywhere from only 60-70% effective, do not protect against Hep C or other diseases, and it is not a magic pill.

The part about effective rates is simply untrue. It is true that PrEP is not "magic", and it is true that it does not protect against other diseases. It's worth noting, though, that staying on PrEP requires regular STI testing including for HIV, so you're more likely to quickly find out if you've contracted an STI, and you can adjust your behavior, if you are so inclined, to minimize spreading of those STI's.

As for side effects: since the medications that make up PrEP are ones used in HIV treatment, about the only thing that can be said against PrEP is you might spare a few months or years of not taking the very meds you're going to have to take the rest of your life if you contract HIV (assuming, of course, you don't plan to just let yourself die of AIDS in a few years). 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 9:55 PM, coltonblack said:

Thoughts?

Years later from 2016 to 2021 an alternative  thought: 

Perhaps your HIV POSITIVE Doctor wasn't against the medication of PREP but wanted you to get the HIV virus for yourself? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/5/2021 at 3:58 PM, TotalTop said:

Where are you getting your data? 

And remember, that probably takes into account patients who did not take the prescription correctly. Data usually includes that or states that it doesn't. 

• Upvote 1

So my 1st question would be, did you talk to your doctor about the frequency in which you bareback? Because if you told him that it was only maybe once in a Blue Moon or that you don't bareback but you just want it in case, then he might not want to prescribe it. That also depends on your state.  Some states triage PrEP funding or depend on grants to fund PrEP prescriptions for those whose insurance won't pay for all or part of the cost.

But if if he knows that you want to bareback all the time or that it's something that you do frequently, I don't understand why he wouldn't want you on prep.

Also, check out funding sources and Grant's if he's working out of a non-profit. I have been encountering agencies,  especially rural agencies that purposefully minimize PrEP as an option and relegate it to the small type urging people to know their status and get tested only. A closer look at their funding and you see they are paid for referring new HIV patients to services but get nothing for PrEP prescriptions. 

Get a second opinion. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EuroMusk76 said:

True, there's treatment for Hep C. But as spankie correctly started there is no vaccination available that would prevent infection.

Just an FYI - about 5% of the population is not treatable for Hep-C, for various reasons. The treatment doesn't take for some people, and they end up taking multiple treatments at once to try to clear the virus. If you abuse drugs and/or alcohol and have suffered cirrhosis of the liver, you may not be a good candidate for treatment either. Co-infection with HIV and concurrent HIV treatment can also lead to significant liver damage and/or added side effects of the medications. Ask your doctor if you find yourself in this situation because certain Hep-C medications work better with certain HIV medications. Don't just let your doctor put you on a HEP-C drug without doing your homework first.