Afraid It Could Be The Fuck Flu?

chibtm2breed

I know it would seem unlikely by the stats but am concerned. I am experiencing symptoms that could be the "fuck" flu. I have been on PrEP for a year and a half. Have not missed a daily dose in over 6 months. To my knowledge have never gotten the regular flu.

Only recent encounter, Wed July 13th had unprotected sex with 2 guys at the bathhouse, one I'm not worried about because we have played before is strictly top says he's neg on PrEP himself and have exchanged contact info etc. Other one was a black guy, I let him fuck me, I got bored after 5-10 minutes and said take a break not sure if he came but he didn't tell me. No talking, no idea of his status.

2.5 weeks later threw up late evening after afternoon brunch, I never throw-up. For the last 2 weeks been more tired, feel like I have a fever (confirmed yesterday and today 100.5 or higher) and some body aches mostly shoulder/upper back etc. Had one night a few days ago where I woke up and had a nightsweat by my head.

How likely is it conversion? If it's happened would it show up on a rapid hiv test yet? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any idea of other things it could be?

• Upvote 1

I know it would seem unlikely by the stats but am concerned. I am experiencing symptoms that could be the "fuck" flu. I have been on PrEP for a year and a half. Have not missed a daily dose in over 6 months. To my knowledge have never gotten the regular flu.

Only recent encounter, Wed July 13th had unprotected sex with 2 guys at the bathhouse, one I'm not worried about because we have played before is strictly top says he's neg on PrEP himself and have exchanged contact info etc. Other one was a black guy, I let him fuck me, I got bored after 5-10 minutes and said take a break not sure if he came but he didn't tell me. No talking, no idea of his status.

2.5 weeks later threw up late evening after afternoon brunch, I never throw-up. For the last 2 weeks been more tired, feel like I have a fever (confirmed yesterday and today 100.5 or higher) and some body aches mostly shoulder/upper back etc. Had one night a few days ago where I woke up and had a nightsweat by my head.

How likely is it conversion? If it's happened would it show up on a rapid hiv test yet? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any idea of other things it could be?

It's unlikely, but nothing is IMPOSSIBLE.  Get tested, and then if negative, repeat in a few more weeks.  See how you feel... see Dr too.

• Upvote 1

Guest GoodExercise

All of the research points to a probability of HIV infection while compliant with PrEP at near nil.  That is coming from a person who wishes that there was no PrEP.

Hepatitis and Syphilis can also lead to vomiting, nausea, fever and joint pain.

Not sure about the testing regime you have in place but You may as well get checked for everything.

• Upvote 2

Guest sodamncurious

I don't understand the need to disclose the guys skin color - risk taking isn't race based. sounds highly unlikely to me that you've got fuck flu.

I don't understand the need to disclose the guys skin color - risk taking isn't race based. sounds highly unlikely to me that you've got fuck flu.

In my city, the hiv prevalence rate is much higher in non-white population and they on average are less likely to be connected to care/undetectable, that is all.

• Upvote 2

Guest deleted1107

Get tested and do it quarterly or semi-annually... please don't lament over not feeling well. Even when your poz you don't feel well for normal reasons... just go to the doc ... get the tests and you will feel better.... do it regularly and from my point of view you will be better for it... hope that helps.... 

I had the "fuck flu" several times.

And I'm still negative.

Not sure I understand this post.  In my view, fuck flu is conversion sickness.  That is the acute stage of HIV+ infection when you immune system is working the hardest to overcome the HIV virus that is attacking it.    If fuck flu is indeed conversion sickness and conversion sickness is an acute HIV infection, it would seem medically unusual to have true fuck flu and then not develop HIV+ .  For that to happen more than once would make your system of interest to researchers.   Perhaps similar symptoms that came at times you could tie to sexual activities?

I was certainly not shocked when I got my poz test results.  I knew my sexual behavior was a major risk and the two pink lines were likely gonna show at some point.   But, I never had anything that I would call a symptom. 

Additionally, it sounds as if the symptoms are too generic to be of much value in understanding status.  Only testing is known to provide that answer.  

Just keep us posted for those that are new to this like me

Sorry haven't posted still no answer still have fevers every day. Went to clinic 5 wks-1 day post exposure for the 1 minute HIV test no antigen negative. Next day, 5 wks post exposure went in doctor ran a whole bunch of tests including what is listed as a 4th generation with antigen w/RFL hiv test and it came back negative. From what I have read those tests with antigen for a majority maybe big majority would be positive by that long after exposure? Would you rule HIV out as the issue?

Tests included Hep B/TB/Chlamydia/Gono all neg and I'm vaccinated for A&B. I was Hep C negative in Feb test. Also comprehensive metabolic panel all good a couple liver enzymes just above reference range AST/ALT but doc wasn't concerned. Any ideas?

Are you really having a fever everyday? Could it be like a meningitis type infection? Usually a continuous fever can indicate your body fighting us a rare infection.

Yes everyday it hits at least around 100+ for awhile. A few years back, I got the vaccination for whatever meningitis version was going showing up in the gay community.

I contracted meningitis back in 2007 in South Florida; it had the exact symptoms of Hiv; i ignored it as a regular flu and it literally almost killed me! 8 gay men died in NYC from menengitis last year; i dont know if we are a prone to it due to anal sex (which is amazing!!!) or just having a weaker imune system by trying to stay thin like i did back then, howerer take one final Hiv blood test; they have the 3 week window period one that is very accurate, are you having any other symptoms other than a high fever?

• Upvote 1