Will Prep Eventually Cause Poz Guys To Be Outcasts?

Guest SBBOY

So if PrEP is available universally, say easily/for free like what they're considering in the UK, does that mean positive guys could or would eventually become outcasts?

My thinking is that most neg guys will go on to PrEP, the 'safe sex' guys will more likely be open to barebacking BUT would still be insistent on BB with other neg guys on PrEP. 

At the moment if you want it raw then you're more than likely going to fuck with a poz guy (as majority of barebackers are poz from my experience), essentially 'beggars can't be choosers' in this day and age. 

But when there is a greater choice of safe neg barebackers, will poz guys be turned down even more? We already know what some neg guys reactions are to poz guys at the moment. If the majority of neg gay guys are on PrEP then they could have their cake and eat it too, virtually risk free. Why keep using a VHS tape when you can use a DVD instead?

Or will guys become even more cum hungry, will take any and all loads because they know they're practically safe on PrEP?

Any thoughts?

Guest Eraioon

My thoughts:

- If PrEP is successful, it will most likely mean the increase of other STIs. So PrEP cannot and will not replace the traditional safe sex.

- But people might learn more about STIs and stop stigmatizing (undetectable) HIV+ persons.

- I don't think that most people preferring "bareback" sex are HIV+. You might have a wrong impression due to your social environment and this site.

- This "pozzing" community (controlled by affects ...) will continue to exist. It might get under pressure (> outcast?), when there will finally be a cure to HIV. Then HIV would go exstinct if it were in the interest of health economy ... I just realized that spreading HIV is bliss for medical companies, since it increases the demand for PrEP. And such companies are no angels any way ... If you want, you can come up with a conspiracy theory.

Never fear, the Poz guys will not become out cast because of PrEP. As a user and having many aquaintences and friends also on the drug we all became fearless raw load takers even from Poz guys! The demand for poz men will decrease but increase since PrEP is becoming more available to guys across the globe possibly resulting in fewer new poz cases. Then there will always be those of us who end up quiting their Prep to give in to their innermost dark desires to become poz and be empowered to be a gifter as well... Present company included...;-)

double checking my post above and that should have read the demand for poz men will NOT decrease but increase

• Upvote 1

If I were to add anything to this it would be just for you Sleazy_Brit_Boy...Would fucking love it if it were possible that you were the one that made my poz dreams cum true!! I would love to have your DNA pumped deep inside this hungry neg.cunt

• Upvote 2

At least for me, one I started prep I stopped worrying about status so much, and then eventually poz became a big turn on. 

I think for most guys, it will at the least make them less worried about status, and possibly even make them not ask about status at all.

• Upvote 3

If PrEP becomes available globally and freely (or affordable as not all health care systems are the same worldwide) I think status becomes more or less irrelevant. But I think there will always be guys who will still insist on condoms because they are afraid of STIs.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Since I have been on PrEP, I no longer bother even asking about HIV status (not that I did much before). I think PrEP is going to lead to no one worrying about their partner's status because everyone can be responsible for their own. 

Other STIs were already on the rise because of barebacking. That happened long before anyone ever heard of PrEP. Most guys on this forum were taking bare cock all already; they just got on PrEP to prevent HIV. 

Based on my take of the guys on this site, poz or not, the use of PrEP won't likely make outcasts of anyone.  As some of the others rightfully pointed out, there will be the other STD's to focus on.  HIV is just the most obvious and least correctable situation passed by our favored pastime 

If only they had had cures for all of the passable infections.  I think it might eventually slow down the worst think plaguing mankind.  If there was less likelihood of STD's, maybe we would all be fucking each other rather than killing each other.  i would far much rather be sucking and being fucked by men than shooting at or being shot at by others.  The only shooting should be cum down my throat or up my ass.  (I say that since, while facials are cool scenes in videos, I feel it a total waste of a precious commodity!)

• Upvote 1

There will be those who have side effects that make taking PrEP not viable for them, those who do not like putting stuff like that in their bodies, and others who can't or won't go on PrEP so those guys would be unknowns.  But I am not sure there is really any reason for a guy on PrEP to turn down a Poz guy, especially a poz undetectable guy.  Unless they are uneducated and not aware of the latest science on undetectable viral loads and what that means.

PrEP to me gives me protection again HIV for those hookups where I would have fucked raw anyway, and I consider that as harm reduction but would never use it as way to filter out poz guys.  Besides they often are some of the hottest fuckers around so that would be stupid to be missing out on some of the hottest sex just cause the guy is poz.

There is plenty of stigma already for POZ guys to deal with.  And for those of us who were very willing participants in our conversion, the stigma is multiplied.

But, I feel that the allure of the disease, the mutation of the virus, long term affects of drugs will allow the HIV/AIDS/POZ subculture to survive, but perhaps not thrive.

Regardless of the future changes to the HIV/AIDS landscape, Dealing with AIDS, avoiding getting infected and even chasing/gifting will forever be part of the authentic fag life.  Those of us how have been infected AFTER the introduction of better medications (undetectable) and PReP are the bridge between the AIDS crisis of the 80's and the safer sex future.  

So, we may be the victims of stigma and discrimination by those who fear the virus, a small group will always appreciate the small role we play in the queer experience.

Guest Eraioon

If PrEP becomes available globally and freely (or affordable as not all health care systems are the same worldwide) I think status becomes more or less irrelevant. But I think there will always be guys who will still insist on condoms because they are afraid of STIs.

Wrong. If PrEP becomes available globally and spread and used thoroughly, people will be more educated on sexual infections and thus will automatically think about the other's hiv status and if they can trust each other. Whores are not the standard.

There is plenty of stigma already for POZ guys to deal with.  And for those of us who were very willing participants in our conversion, the stigma is multiplied.

I wonder about the term "stigma" here.

1) How would "normal" people / society know that you're a part of this subculture.

2) Of course certain tattoos are a kind of self-stigmatization, but will only be recognized in certain situations and might work as a warning.

I think PrEP was a brilliant move on big pharma's part. You've got neg guys taking (what is in most cases) the SAME PILL as positive guys. So they make more money off of the neg's guys fear of becoming poz - which is a jedi mind trick in itself since pretty much everyone knows being poz is no longer a death sentence. So neg guys are acting like poz guys to stay neg. Perfect. I wish I had bought big pharma stock 10 years ago.

The PrEP guys are still at risk for catching all the other STIs - especially Hep C. I've read statistics that say there are 5 times more Hep C positive people than HIV+ people. And 1 in 4 HIV+ people have Hep C and don't even know it. There is no vaccine for Hep C but it can be cured (if you've got tens of thousands of dollars or health insurance that will cover it). Again, big pharma is cashing in on diseases that they can CURE.

To the question about where does PrEP leave poz guys? Well, I think poz guys should just start lying and say they are on PrEP. 

There are always going to be guys that don't want to stick their raw dick in your hole. Being a cumbucket on PrEP does not make you any more attractive to them. It actually hurts your case. It's like presenting a guy a form with the disclaimer "I can transmit all these other nasties in the next few minutes but at least HIV isn't one of them. Ready to fuck?"

My philosophy is 1) Fuck. 2) Get tested. 3) If you catch something, get treated.

But all this "partial" prevention and trying to classify whores into poz and PrEP subcategories is actually quite humorous to me.

Edited by bbzh
  • Upvote 1