Prep Side Effects

hurri

A good forum to ask these questions is the PrEP Facts Facebook group. It has 20,000 members so someone is likely to have experienced whatever it is you have questions about. (It's a closed group -- your other Facebook friends won't see.) www.facebook.com/groups/PrEPFacts

On 11/12/2016 at 10:58 AM, versgirl said:

Depression sufferers should avoid this? Would that be correct? Also, someone please elaborate on the "intense dreams."  Thanks.

Depression is not a frequent reported side effect. I've been treated (successfully) for depression for years and Truvada had no effect on that. Of course your mileage may vary, but don't rule it out because of those fears.

A minority of people get the intense dreams fur a few days. Most say they're great and are sorry when they stop. I didn't get them -- wish I did!

I've been taking for 2+ years.  I remember some stomach issues the first couple weeks, but nothing serious. I also sometimes feel that I have some gastrointestinal issues the day I open a new bottle of pills (break the seal), but I'm guessing that's just a coincidence as I doubt the "freshness" would be a factor.

• 6 months later...

I have to report that my (already weak) kidneys took a hit recently, blamed on Truvada. When I quit Truvada abruptly a month ago, my kidney function began to improve after a couple weeks, now it's almost at the level it was before I started Truvada. I may yet consider taking it based on incident (2 immediately, one the next day and another the following day).

It appears that PreP is not good for weakened kidneys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/20/2016 at 12:17 AM, dude8688 said:

Can it be taken topically? Like, for a month or so while a guy wants some raw fun, say if he knew he was visiting a place he's more likely to be taking regular bare dick? If he has enough Prep in his system (over 7 days worth right?) Could he theoretically enjoy his filthy trip (barring any sti's!)?

Yes. This is referred to as Prep on demand or event based dosing; largely I believe your correct 7 days beforehand, fantastic information on this website 

https://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk/how-to-take-prep/

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, Rocker12 said:

I have to report that my (already weak) kidneys took a hit recently, blamed on Truvada. When I quit Truvada abruptly a month ago, my kidney function began to improve after a couple weeks, now it's almost at the level it was before I started Truvada. I may yet consider taking it based on incident (2 immediately, one the next day and another the following day).

It appears that PreP is not good for weakened kidneys.

I agree with you totally. I took Truvada as treatment (not PReP) for 6 years. Eventually it weakened my kidneys (borderline kidney disease) and bones (Osteopenie). Although I have now been off of Truvada for nearly 5 years, my kidneys have not recovered. If you are taking Truvada, you need to keep a close watch on your blood work. What is your GFR (Global Filtration Rate), and other kidney health indicators?

• Upvote 1

So glad I joined this site. Not only for the horny content but also for the Prep information. I started 6 months ago for prevention - daily dose and have since then have been having very weird dreams almost to the point of nightmares. I hadn't read about that side effect anywhere else.

My question is therefore whether anyone has experimented with taking Prep at a particular time of day to reduce side effects. I take mine at 7pm. Maybe I should take it earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

They say don’t take your night time Atripla with food because it causes “vivid” dreams.

I purposely eat a little something because I love the dreams. No nightmares, but sometimes have to solve problems like “where is my car” LOL

• Like 2

I'm fairly new to PrEP, three months now.

I feel near constantly tired and can sleep for days. That makes me depressed...

...but the dreams!! I didn't realise it could be the PrEP until reading this. Around the same time I started I have been having the most insane dreams. Even if I have a nap in the afternoon for an hour, I will have the most crazy dreams. 

I'm really hoping it all stops...

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, Pozlover1 said:

They say don’t take your night time Atripla with food because it causes “vivid” dreams.

I purposely eat a little something because I love the dreams. No nightmares, but sometimes have to solve problems like “where is my car” LOL

The problem with Atripla lies in the Efavirenz (a.k.a. Sustiva), which is know for its psychological and neurological side effects. That's why Atripla isn't used as a first-line treatment as much as it was years ago. There are newer, better "one pill a day" regimens out there with less side effects for a larger number of patients. Which is not to say that Atripla per se is bad. If it works for you, why change a working therapy? Everybody is different.

However, Truvada (i.e. emtricitabine/tenofovir, the remaining two components of Atripla) alone is not necessarily commonly known for its psychoactive properties. I have had some problems with diarrhea and abdominal pain, that's why I take PrEP in the evening before going to bed. No weird dreams at all, but much less of an upset colon.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

This is all very interesting and helpful. I’ve been considering PrEP for a few years and now there is a program here in B.C. that makes it available at no charge for at risk persons (like men who have sex with men and are barebacking bottoms like me).

My only concern is if my existing medical conditions (diabetes type 2, hypertension, depression, adhd and gout) might raise some contrindications with the Truvada. 

To qualify for the program you have to have a number of tests, including kidney function. Mine was fine as of my last batch, but the diabetes and gout always makes that something to watch. Here’s hoping I qualify.