Second Confirmed Case Of Hiv Acquisition While On Prep

rawfuckr

All details here

http://www.thebody.com/content/78607/despite-second-case-of-hiv-prep-still-most-effecti.html

TLDR

• Guy claims 100% bare top (condoms with partner when bottom)
  • Partner +UD
  • comfirmed he didn't get it from partner.
  • claims to have had only two other partners from where he acquired HIV. He was 100% top with them
  • HIV strain he got has resistance mutations for most of the nucleosides and some NNRTIs [non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors]
  • adherence tested through hair samples and dry blood spots

developing story ...

Edited by rawfuckr

Is there

It sounds very similar to the first case. Truvada will not protect you from a strain of HIV virus that is Truvada Immune/Resistant. 

According to avert.org, in USA most HIV patients have HIV-1, Group M, Subtype B strain.  Gilead should do more R&D and find out which strains Truvada immune to. 

From what I've read about this, the guy's virus has two specific mutations which make it resistant (but not totally resistant) to tenofovir. I've seen the list of drugs his virus is resistant to and it's about 10 (mostly, if not all, NRTIs and NNRTIs). Once analysed, we know which mutations will make HIV resistant to which drugs,so it's not a question of Gilead pulling their fingers out.

It's important to remember that resistant/mutated virus is weaker than wildtype virus, and ultimately mutated virus is overtaken by wildtype virus, which is how come resistance fades over time and drugs can be re-used.

While it's always been known that getting assfucked bare is the commonest infection route, it's always been known that the guy fucking can get it: how else do hundred percent hetero guys get it sexually from women?

For this to happen twice in a year is still within the expected efficacy of truvada as PrEP. While on an individual level of course it's a bloody disaster, but on a total population level, it's unsurprising and truvada is as near to total protection as you can get. If I were neg and on PrEP I wouldn't be worried on a personal level: all manner of things are still more likely than seroconverting while on PrEP.

apologies for any typos - writing this in bed and my tablet's dictionary isn't as versatile as the PC's...

• Upvote 1