Switching Meds

punaman

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If he's undetectable, then the meds are working. Everybody's different in how they respond to meds, but I have to admit I've never heard of anyone going 20 years without a change in prescription. It might be an idea for him to talk to his HIV doctor about the possibility of changing, but if he's undetectable, he won't have enough of a viral load to test to see what would be the best combination for him (you need at least VL 1k and undetectable is between<20 and <70 depending on the lab). 

Also, if he's been on the same meds for so long they obviously must be fitting in well with his genetics so that he's having few in any side effects. There's no way of telling how long the same meds will continue to work for him: prediction and medicine do not make good bedfellows ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If he's undetectable, then the meds are working. Everybody's different in how they respond to meds, but I have to admit I've never heard of anyone going 20 years without a change in prescription. It might be an idea for him to talk to his HIV doctor about the possibility of changing, but if he's undetectable, he won't have enough of a viral load to test to see what would be the best combination for him (you need at least VL 1k and undetectable is between<20 and <70 depending on the lab). 

Also, if he's been on the same meds for so long they obviously must be fitting in well with his genetics so that he's having few in any side effects. There's no way of telling how long the same meds will continue to work for him: prediction and medicine do not make good bedfellows ;)

From what I have heard, you no longer need a 1K + VL to have the geno-Pheno type testing performed.