HPV Vaccination (UK)

(This might only be of interest to guys based in the UK.)

Had the first dose of the HPV vaccination currently being offered to gay men as part of a pilot scheme.

The full vaccination course is three shots over (roughly) three months.

The pilot scheme only runs until March next year, so if you're interested it's best to get started on the course of injections as soon as possible.

The only criteria for being eligible is: be a man who has sex with other men and be under 45.

I'm receiving the course of injections at the GUM clinic at St Mary's in Paddington in London, not sure what other GUM clinics are involved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's Gardasil 4 or Gardasil 9 (or what the difference is).

I know the vaccination course I'm getting protects against four HPV types - does that make it Gardasil 4? is that where the '4' comes from?

Yeah, it's free, it's on the NHS. But if you are thinking of getting the vaccination through this pilot scheme, I'd get in quick - judging from what the nurse was saying when I got my 2nd dose, they've had a really good uptake and the scheme can only take on so many guys.

As for why it's only for men under 45, I'm not entirely sure.

Going by the leaflet I was given at the clinic, "Nearly all sexually active people get infected with HPV at some point in their lives", so maybe it's just a numbers game.
I know that the vaccination program for girls age 12-13 is done at that age to give them the vaccine before they become sexually active (which is the ideal time to get the vaccine). So as this pilot scheme is for men who identify as already being sexually active (with other men), maybe they've had to work out who would most benefit from the vaccine. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Rocker12 said:

Here in the Vancouver (Canada) area, the free vaccine was limited to men under 26. I guess men over 25 are not at risk?

I believe the theory is that by 25 you have most likely been exposed already. It does you no good after exposure. That's why they are pushing to give it to kids who are not yet sexually active. 

On 09/12/2016 at 5:04 AM, drscorpio said:

I believe the theory is that by 25 you have most likely been exposed already. It does you no good after exposure. That's why they are pushing to give it to kids who are not yet sexually active. 

That's not entirely accurate, myself and my mate were given it despite us both having had surgery in the past for AIN removal. There are several different strains of HPV and its possible this could still be beneficial in protecting us against strains we don't have.

I had my third and final (paid for privately, rather expensive) dose the week this program started. FML

Edited by demonsemen