Is herpes really that bad?

It was one of the worst thing I've ever been infected with, but the sex was hot. As a result, HSV-1 took hold near my hole and in about a week my entire taint was blood red, covered in bumps oozing out a yellow-white substance that smelled disgusting. Worse was the pain - it's crippling and got worse when I washed it. Went away in 2 weeks, but then flared up soon after for round 2. Recurrent outbreaks persisted and I had to add acyclovir 2x a day to my meds regimen. While I'm thankful that I won't ever have to worry about getting infected again, or ever getting infected with it on my face, I wish this one would have passed me over. In addition, unlike the other meds I'm on, acyclovir wears me out the most and gives me nausea still after 1.75 years. Try to avoid, while not a death sentence it's still misery - the worst incurable virus I've had.

• Upvote 1

On 2016-11-23 at 9:09 PM, LitJ said:

It was one of the worst thing I've ever been infected with, but the sex was hot. ... In addition, unlike the other meds I'm on, acyclovir wears me out the most and gives me nausea still after 1.75 years. Try to avoid, while not a death sentence it's still misery - the worst incurable virus I've had.

I appreciate the honesty in this post instead of the constant glorification of infections you read in so many posts around here.

I get some of the fetish aspects of this glorification of STIs but the rationality that defines us as human has to always prevail, at least in my reality. To me it makes no sense to try to harm your body in an activity (sex) where your body is the focus of the pleasure of sex. I've always feared HIV infection because of the consequences of the infection itself (fuck flue) or side effects of the drugs, because both would prevent me from enjoying sex. 

I think that the best solution is the one offered by the site safestsex.org because it contains all the ingredients for the perfect solution: if everyone is tested and only have sex with similar people, the risk is the same as the one in monogamy. Not easy to achieve, but possible. I personally would have enjoyed being in a bathhouse or sex club where I knew everyone was tested and non-contagious with all STIs. Just bareback with anyone you please without worrying about anything. That would be my ideal situation because for me sex is what turns me on, not disease.

• Upvote 4

I test positive for one of the herpes viruses, but I honestly have no idea where it is on my body.  I probably had an outbreak initially, but I never NEVER have an outbreak.  I used to get a prescription written for it in case I got an outbreak, but after a couple years, I don't even ask for it.  It's been about 12 years since I had the test and found out I had herpes, but as far as I know, I've never had an outbreak.  Dr said some people don't ever get outbreaks.  I confided in a pharmacist friend soon after, and he told me the daily medicine is THE most prescribed medicine at his pharmacy.  A Dr friend told me the county health department estimates 75% of gay men have herpes.  I'd sort of assume 100% of men on this site.  I'd be curious if there's anyone here who actually gets tested for it and does NOT have it on this site

Herpes is very common.  Some STI clinics don't routinely even test for it because it is so common.  They will swab for herpes if there is an active outbreak, but otherwise they don't even test for it.  For some people they will have an initial outbreak and may never have an outbreak again.  Some people have it worse.  A lot of people will have an outbreak and a few more outbreaks, but the longer they have it the outbreaks are less frequent and farther apart between outbreaks.  I would think the statistics that "justsexnowatl" posted are pretty accurate.  For a lot of people herpes is a nuisance and nothing more.  Some choose to go on treatment to suppress future outbreaks, and some aren't even having outbreaks, but they can still transmit herpes to others.  I'm sorry for the people who get bad outbreaks.  For the most part I think a lot of people don't even know they have it because they don't show any symptoms or have outbreaks.   

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

A guy I dated had genital herpes. He told me up front which was nice. I've always had occasional cold sores....maybe once or twice a year...but pretty much everyone has the herpes simplex virus. I was kinda worried about this one. He said he had it for about 5 years and luckily hadn't had any outbreaks so didn't go on the meds for it. 

He didn't have any active sores and I will went down on him....twice! Want worried about it and luckily didn't catch it. Just remember though even if there's no visible signs you can still catch it, especially during the viral shedding cycle. Like most of the guys here said tho if you do get it they have meds now to stop the outbreak of the sores...but you'll be on em pretty much the rest of your life because it is permanent. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know if it's possible to prevent herpes by taking acyclovir? I know it works for those who are infected and take the medication to avoid an outbreak, but I'd like to know if it's possible to avoid transmission by taking acyclovir for some time right after having BB sex with somebody who may have it. 

Edited by brazilianboy
  • Upvote 2

I've had HSV2 (genital herpes) for about 8 years. Went misdiagnosed as shingles for about 4 of this years. Outbreaks are a pain in the lass literally. Breakout occurs around the top of by ass, and spreads down randomly to my hole. It's no picnic!

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 11:16 PM, MuscledHorse said:

Why are a couple of you guys on here on acyclovir instead of valacyclovir or famcyclovir? The former has poor absorption compared to the latter two.  I've used Valtrex (valacyclovir) before for a cold sore outbreak and had no GI issues.

Kaiser Permanente ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just recovering from HSV2 and HEP-A - its been a very miserable six weeks since the Acyclovir seemed to aggravate the HEP-A and I was advised to stop all meds and let it go away naturally.  Honestly, its been so miserable I really don't want to go through anything like this again, and it has made me seriously reconsider active participation in the BB hook-up scene. 

MuscledHorse asked why some people are on Acyclovir - probably because in the UK the local NHS trust deems that is the appropriate medication to treat HSV and the clinics have to follow the set treatment pathway.  The cynic in me wonders if it is more to do with price than effectivity but I am sure the decision is likely a balance of factors. 

• Upvote 2