HIV Home Test Kit

• 3 weeks later...

I've never used them personally but know a lot of people who have and supposedly they're just as accurate as the oraquick testing. 

I don't use them bc I don't want to have to pay for something I can get done for free at health dept or through gay/HIV organizations.

I wish you could order them online for free like you can in the UK but I'm in the U.S. and we're fucked enough as it is.

• Upvote 1

Irrespective of how accurate they are, at best they will tell you what was, not what is. It take from a couple of weeks to a couple of months after being infected before showing positive on a test, so it will tell you what his status was a few weeks or months ago, not what it is now.

Edited by lower_bucks_bottom

Guest JizzDumpWI

Very true lower_bucks_bottom.  It almost sounds like OP was hoping a test just before sex was best way to be safe.  And as you correctly point out testing, even best testing, will show status as of a prior point in time.  If one wants a safer play, TasP or PrEP, or (ugh) less effective condoms.  

• 1 month later...

i just got an oraquick kit for free It was a surprised how turned on i got waiting the 20 mins for the result. They make it a little erotic by having you cover the test stick with a little flap that you have to pull back to reveal your result, i sat on a huge dildo and fucked my ass and jerked off while waiting. i shot my load and pulled the cover back to see only one line, so neg. I wasnt sure this time if it would be as i have been getting bred and fisted by a mexican who doesnt speak English, so never really knew his status, still dont lol.

• Upvote 1

I tested on the same day of each month when I was chasing.   Prior to that I was doing the "good queer" thing of testing a couple times a year...usually at the local gay center.   When I started riding sick dick, I wanted to know when I finally converted, so it was easier to buy a bunch off e-bay at test at home.

The home tests measure the HIV antibodies in your system...not the actual virus.   As others have noted it may take a bit to build up the level of antibodies until the test reflects a level that suggests that you are indeed POZ.   In essence, if you are fucking a lot, the test is only valid for the moment you took the test.  What happened after that is still unknown.  But, if you get two pink lines, in nearly 99% of the time, any other type of testing will confirm you are indeed knocked up.   On the other hand, a negative result my be disproved by other more discrete testing.  In short, a negative test on a home tester is really of little value in proving you are indeed negative, while it is extremely accurate in stating you are POZ.

As LKMIKE said, I found the testing kind of fun.  I actually videoed each of my tests...to capture what my true reaction to the results would be.  No doubt, the smile on my face when I saw two pink lines confirmed that all that fucking had finally paid off.   On all these negative videos, the disappointment was equally clear.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Guest BBBoyfromTN

I don't know how accurate they are tbh. I discovered I was poz using an oraquick before a hookup, which that ruined. Tested again and was another poz result. I haven't been in to see a professional but am pretty sure I'm poz as I've had other guys tell me I should get tested as they converted.

I used one about 2 weeks after I was infected and before going to the Dr.  I now know exactly when I was infected. So, in the very early stages of infection it did not work. I went to the Dr. about 3 weeks later and the test came back poz....so, you can't trust it if the person was newly infected.

My Oraquick test was poz. I am sure I was poz for more than a year.

From Oraquick's website:

"99.9% of people (4,902 out of 4,903) correctly reported a negative test result."

"91.7 % of HIV positive people (88 out of 96) tested reported a correct test result."

So if the result is poz it's probably true (like mine)

• 3 weeks later...

I've used these for ages, both before being poz and afterwards.

They are really very accurate if used as directed. They do best with a pinprick of blood (99% accuracy) but will also do OK with just  saliva (91%).

These days I buy them so I can stealth poz. Some guys just won't bareback without proof, and these test kits are gold for getting around that.    I know how to fake swabbing my mouth, so it'll always show negative... and the other guy will then happily have bareback with me and receive a poz load :)

I also use them in repeat encounters so I can tell when I've been successful in pozzing them.  It also gives me an opportunity to be there when they find out they're HIV+ which is always a turnon for me. Some of them are SO upset.  You then have the option of testing yourself, showing a poz result, and making them feel that THEY infected YOU... thus avoiding repercussions from the person you pozzed :)

So the kits work. But they're only reliable if you use them as directed. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anything that encourages testing is good, but as HIV tests go, OraQuick is not the most sensitive test available. For a newly-infected person, OraQuick may still show no infection several weeks after the best available tests would have detected the infection.

If you are worried about a recent exposure, insist on a qualitative PCR RNA viral load test. (Qualitative means a yes/no answer, instead of the quantitave result -- "x copies of the virus" -- provided to a person who is Positive and under monitoring.) If you mention a recent and very risky exposure and your clinician doesn't propose this, go elsewhere.

For routine, periodic testing, a 4th-generation test is ideal. Ask for one!

You need PCR HIV test if you want to know when you converted. Those are accurate a mere 1-2 days after exposure, and test for actual virus. 

Insurance usually covers it if your doctor informs them you're in a high risk group. 

Edited by wow4761

• 2 weeks later...