Danger from Repeated STIs?

I've always wondered if there was any health dangers in repeated STI exposures. I would think not. No matter how often you test positive for an STI, and all other things equal, if the STI is treated and removed, there's no long term health impacts. The invader is gone, if you will. 

Has anyone ever heard of any? Or had problems?

As with most drugs and medications, over time a lot of individuals build up an immunity to them and their effectiveness is diminished. So if repeated and fairly rapid exposure to the STI's occurs, it may be that the effectiveness of the drugs used to fight them will eventually become ineffective.

On 12/21/2016 at 2:35 PM, Homo60 said:

As with most drugs and medications, over time a lot of individuals build up an immunity to them and their effectiveness is diminished. So if repeated and fairly rapid exposure to the STI's occurs, it may be that the effectiveness of the drugs used to fight them will eventually become ineffective.

Hi Homo60,

There are some drugs that, if taken continuously, a person will build up a tolerance to, where it will take more of that drug to get the same effect (e.g. opioids). Some pathogens (e.g., STI's) mutate and build a resistance to the drugs that have been used to destroy them (e.g., gonorhea).  With STI's the drugs are used to eradicate the pathogen, not do something that affects an individuals physiology (like relieving pain with opioids). So with STI's it's the pathogens that we have to worry about building up a resistance ("immunity") to drugs, not the individual taking them.

If one is a virgin and gets an infection with a drug resistant pathogen, the same issues killing it apply to that person as the person who has had 100 STI's. 

Hope this makes sense? (I do healthcare for a living).

On 12/26/2016 at 8:38 AM, tallslenderguy said:

If one is a virgin and gets an infection with a drug resistant pathogen, the same issues killing it apply to that person as the person who has had 100 STI's. 

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought.

All the shame-based stuff society loads us up with still carries through no matter how sexually open and libertine one is. Me too. There is still a part of me that sees have an STI as something shameful and wrong. It's stupid as, in most cases, it's just the equivalent of a "cold."  

But I am going to go to monthly STI checks this year. I'm planning on having as much fun as possible and want any "attachments" removed as soon as possible.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, subbytch said:

All the shame-based stuff society loads us up with still carries through no matter how sexually open and libertine one is. Me too. There is still a part of me that sees have an STI as something shameful and wrong. It's stupid as, in most cases, it's just the equivalent of a "cold."  

But I am going to go to monthly STI checks this year. I'm planning on having as much fun as possible and want any "attachments" removed as soon as possible.

Awesome subbytch, way to push back against the 'norm.'  We could probably come close to eradicating STI's if not for the social stigma attached.  If we had a week or month where everyone in the country got tested and treated, think of how far that would go? But there are way to many social ramifications.  Shame about sex and sexuality is a good way to control people because it's a strong and primary drive common to most of us.  But we can stand up and say: "fuck you" to the system. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, tallslenderguy said:

Awesome subbytch, way to push back against the 'norm.'  We could probably come close to eradicating STI's if not for the social stigma attached.  If we had a week or month where everyone in the country got tested and treated, think of how far that would go? But there are way to many social ramifications.  Shame about sex and sexuality is a good way to control people because it's a strong and primary drive common to most of us.  But we can stand up and say: "fuck you" to the system. 

Totally agree with you. I've had thoughts along those lines multiple times!

2 hours ago, subbytch said:

I used to feel ashamed. I suppose I still do once in a while, especially if I'm in the dr's office repeatedly. It's clear that I don't use protection but my thought has always been that at least I'm there getting treated. I may end up with something pretty frequently, but I'm not gonna be the one passing it on to people, thus I'll always go get checked & treated. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Hotboi01 said:

I used to feel ashamed. I suppose I still do once in a while, especially if I'm in the dr's office repeatedly. It's clear that I don't use protection but my thought has always been that at least I'm there getting treated. I may end up with something pretty frequently, but I'm not gonna be the one passing it on to people, thus I'll always go get checked & treated. 

That's great Hotboi01,

I think you are showing a lot of strength and character, which is pretty much opposite of what the general culture would say.  I would wager more people get sick using public restrooms than do having sex, but we don't shame people for using them to fulfill a basic need. Instead, we hire cleaning services and try to overcome the issues with sharing toilets.  The question is, who gets to make the judgement that the kind of sex we have is wrong, and why?  So much of it is tied into being "gay" or "bi" and residual from when society largely thought that was 'bad'.  If everyone would get checked once a month for a year, we could virtually eradicate a lot of STI's, but the stigma attached to it keeps a lot of people from doing it. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

Awesome subbytch, way to push back against the 'norm.'

Ha. Thanks.

I was already getting quarterly tests as part of my PrEP program. But I was still winding up with an STI two visits running. I just want to make sure I'm never more than 30 days from an STI tests. STIs are stupid and get in the way of getting filled up with cum. I'd like to minimize the chances I'm passing on an STI and maximizing the chances I'm getting bred. 

Also, the majority of STIs are -just- the equivalent of colds. If I could wave my magic wand (magic asshole?) it would make that the popular perception, not the "moral failure" one we're operating under. 

Also, because I recently had surgery for a fissure, they ran an HPV test. I don't have any of the varieties, but I'm going to get the Gardasil shots. Even though I'm well past the recommended age, reducing the odds of getting HPV seems like another good option to maximize pleasure and reduce risk.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Hotboi01 said:

Just remember. Doctor's coats are white, not black. They aren't there to judge you. If they try, remind them (and yourself) that sticking their finger in your ass during a physical to check the health of your prostate wasn't permission to also stick their finger in your choices and opine about the health of your life.

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2016 at 11:38 AM, tallslenderguy said:

That's not entirety true. Some bacteria are present even when healthy (they don't go away entirely). Repeated exposure to the same antibiotics increase the chance that that individual person will have strains resistant to antibiotics. This is especially a problem with things like MRSA.

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2016 at 9:28 PM, totaldarkness said:

That's not entirety true. Some bacteria are present even when healthy (they don't go away entirely). Repeated exposure to the same antibiotics increase the chance that that individual person will have strains resistant to antibiotics. This is especially a problem with things like MRSA.

Good point, it should be qualified we're talking sti's here that are treated with antibiotics. 

I had a Chlamydia scare several years ago and I was already poz by then.  I felt dirty because I don't like being sick.  I feel dirty when I have a cold or something minor.  I had an eye infection a couple of months ago and I really didn't want to leave the house because I felt nasty.

I'm poz and I'm going to be poz for the rest of my life.  I don't see being poz as having a disease.  It's a chronic condition like diabetes in my book.