Generic Prep Dosage

gay87

Hi, im starting generic Prep , and I researched on the internet and found 3 types of recommended dosage

1) daily pill

2) alternate days 3-4 pills a week

3) 2 pills before sex( 24 hours apart), and 2 pills after (24 hours apart)

Any experts on the research of these 3 dosages? Any inputs from fellow prep takers?

The daily pill is the only regimen that is approved by US FDA.  There is research from France I think, that supported the as needed dosing (your #3) I think it was 3 pills after.

Havent heard of your #2.  But after initial dosing, every other day would keep up some blood level of the drug but certainly would decrease the effectiveness

Thanks all for valuable inputs, to back my 2nd option that Ive discussed..

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hiv-prevention/hiv-prep/5169-study-suggests-truvada-prep-should-start-1-week-before-and-continue-4-weeks-after-sex

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/74799/zero-hiv-infections-when-prep-is-taken-4-or-more-t.html

4.7/100 person-years if no drug was detected in DBS. (normalized risk was 4.7/100 person years, with 0 prep)

• 2.3/100 person-years if DBS indicated less than two tablets a week.
  • 0.6/100 person-years if DBS indicated two or three tablets per week.
  • 0/100 person-years if DBS indicated four to seven tablets per week.

I think I would stick to 'daily' dosage, while occassionally dont mind missing a dosage or 2 per week.

1 week before exposure, and 28 days after exposure? I think this is the conservative method?

However the France study, shows +3 pills after exposure might be sufficient