Paying for Prep

junito

So I found out my insurance doesn't pay for truvada. My doctor sent in a letter to my health insurance but they still denied it. I don't have the money to pay out of pocket for truvada. Does anybody know any assistance programs or even websites that sell truvada? Thanks.

4 hours ago, punaman said:

Gilead will pay most of the cost, spread out the pills maybe like take 5 in a week instead of 7 and it will last until the next year of copay and supposedly you're still protected from getting HIV

Gilead's copay assistance is $3000 per year.  But the full cost is something like $1300 - $1400 per month.  So that would run out FAST.  My copay is 25% of the full price, so Gilead covers "most of it" for the year, but with no insurance coverage that wouldn't go far at all.  A buddy of mine was getting it through the county health department even in rural GA, but he was lower income.  I don't know if they'd cover it if not low income.  It's probably county by county.  Worth a check.  Or the generic stuff mentioned....good luck, it's been so liberating!!

I just looked at your profile more junito - looks like you've already been liberated lol!!

Edited by justsexnowatl

8 hours ago, justsexnowatl said:

Gilead's copay assistance is $3000 per year.  But the full cost is something like $1300 - $1400 per month.  So that would run out FAST.  My copay is 25% of the full price, so Gilead covers "most of it" for the year, but with no insurance coverage that wouldn't go far at all.  A buddy of mine was getting it through the county health department even in rural GA, but he was lower income.  I don't know if they'd cover it if not low income.  It's probably county by county.  Worth a check.  Or the generic stuff mentioned....good luck, it's been so liberating!!

I just looked at your profile more junito - looks like you've already been liberated lol!!

Small correction:  The gileadcopay.com site has been updated. They now provide up to $3,600/year for Truvada with no monthly maximum.

Good news:  the yearly total has gone up and eliminating the monthly maximum helps people with high-deductible insurance plans who pay most of their medical costs out of pocket at the start of the year.

• Upvote 1