temporary Prep?

miticax

Is it possible to get a prep treatment only for short therm - let's say only to play bb for a week?

Not sure if I read it right, but if you start prep before that and continue the treatment for a few weeks after bb, it should be good.

Thinking of trying to bb from time to time if it works that way :)

What are expert's advice on this?

First off, am by no means an expert on this here, but have done an extensive amount reading and research and have read all kinds of information about the subject from many different sources on the web. None of what I'm stating here has been doctor verified for certain.

For the most part when going on PreP and under a doctors supervision, the general and average recommendations are that you be on a daily regimen for at least and a minimum of seven (7) days to insure that your system is compatible and has the require saturations of Disoproxil Fumerate & Emitricitabine to provide the proper levels for rejection of the HIV virus from entering your blood stream. At this 7 day point or shortly after, a blood test is done to insure this.

So, with this in mind, If you were to know in advance of BB'ing by a week or for added safety, a bit longer and began PreP, you should be ok, but that is certainly not a set in stone surety without a doctors approval, etc. And also I will state, I don't think any doctor would approve any, just once in awhile use of the meds in this way.

Once you are on it, you should remain on it as long as your indulging in risky sex at all, even if it's only once or twice a year or so, as your system will get used to the meds and dependence on them. By starting and stopping, your system will build up an resistance and each time you begin taking the Prep, it will take longer for the drug to overcome the resistance and become effective again. Sadly to say, this works much in the same way as it does for guys on HIV meds that wish to stop for a period of time and allow their viral levels to grow and then go back on the meds to become undetectable. Each time this is done, it takes more and maybe different and stronger meds and time to get back into control of the HIV.

There are a couple of other concerns using Truvada in this way.

When I was on prep, just over a year ago, there were two things that had to be checked before I could start taking the meds.

The first was that they were absolutely sure I wasn't already infected with HIV. This is important because if a person is infected and an incomplete regimen is started, it could cause drug resistance. So you could get tested and tested again 3 months later with no risky activity in between and take care of that requirement on your own.

Second, is liver function, before and after prep is started. This is the reason that they will only give you a 3 month prescription. Truvada is hard on some peoples kidneys, so to be sure it isn't a problem they get a baseline before you start, and then every 3 months.

With all the timing, waiting, testing etc. It's just easier to take the meds every day. The state I live in covered the cost of everything except liver function. I did have to get the std/HIV testing done at the county clinic for that to be free, then they would send the results to the ID doc. The meds were covered through another state program called Prep/ADAP.

So, really it comes down to the liver issue. Do you feel lucky?

• 1 month later...

Yes, you can use PrEP on demand basis, it works quite well with no side effects and still gives you relatively high protection.

I don't keep on taking Truvada for 30 days after my last exposure though,my doctor did not advise to do so but I've read all sort of different opinions on this.

Also see this:

https://breeding.zone/topic/40404-prep-on-demand/