Years withouth meds

Years without med  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many years did you stay off the meds (low viral load, high t cells, other reasons...) before you started therapy following the day you tested poz. Thank you.

• immediatly
    • 1 to 2 years
    • 3 to 4 years
    • 5 to 6 years
    • 7 to 8 years
    • more than 9 years
  2. 2. Guess this applies to the oldest of us, but answer if you can. Did you get any of these when you were young

• Chickenpox
    • Measles
    • Mumps
    • Wooping cough
    • Mononucleosis
    • Others
    • None

This is a bit of research and since I've never read research on this topic, I'd thought I start. Like many of you, I stayed off the meds for a long time following my diagnostic in 1985  (the year the test came available.) My t-cells were high and only started to decline after 10 years. Then the viral load test appeared and it took another 2 years for the load to be significant enough to start meds.

Have this hypothesis I want to check so the more of you answer the better.

Edited by muscmtl

I never bothered to test regular and actually had my first test many years after becoming active which naturally came back positive. I started immediately based on the recommendation of my doctor. I was told at the time my numbers appeared very close to full blown conditions (221, 4K, 13%) and in fact even after starting meds my cd4s dropped to about 140 for about a year. I have since made the decision to stop treatment after nearly 14 years on meds. Never had any complications from the HIV and have been med free for about a year and a half at this point. I've only had one test since and was still maintaining a 540 cd4 (from 700's on meds) and a mild 3881 viral load. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, pozpig said:

I never bothered to test regular and actually had my first test many years after becoming active which naturally came back positive. I started immediately based on the recommendation of my doctor. I was told at the time my numbers appeared very close to full blown conditions (221, 4K, 13%) and in fact even after starting meds my cd4s dropped to about 140 for about a year. I have since made the decision to stop treatment after nearly 14 years on meds. Never had any complications from the HIV and have been med free for about a year and a half at this point. I've only had one test since and was still maintaining a 540 cd4 (from 700's on meds) and a mild 3881 viral load. 

wow.. no meds and no hiv back. fukn anazing

I really was completely surprised that my viral load was still so incredibly low, especially after intentionally attempting to contract new strains during the year between no meds and my first monitor test to see where my levels were. Even the doctor expressed some surprise since he knew what my original numbers were and was treating me during the first couple years. I go back later this month for updated numbers and I'm sure I will post about those. I will be floored if I still don't show any significant VL increase especially considering I've been with several guys since that have unmedicated loads. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cardoc49
On ‎05‎-‎03‎-‎2017 at 8:59 PM, pozpig said:

I really was completely surprised that my viral load was still so incredibly low, especially after intentionally attempting to contract new strains during the year between no meds and my first monitor test to see where my levels were. Even the doctor expressed some surprise since he knew what my original numbers were and was treating me during the first couple years. I go back later this month for updated numbers and I'm sure I will post about those. I will be floored if I still don't show any significant VL increase especially considering I've been with several guys since that have unmedicated loads. 

Hi Pozpig: Thanks for your very personal story - I think your doc was surprised too - and hopefully next numbers will show more pronounced increased values..

and thumbs up for finding and taking several guys with unmedicated loads - you are so focused