PreP on demand?

WildBreed

Hi Gents,

has anyone ever used PreP on demand before BB sex?

My doctor just gave me a prescritpion for Truvada with the following recommendations, and I quote:

"the use of PreP can be on daily basis, which was mostly used in clinical studies, but it has also been effective on an on-demand basis during high risk periods (for example, holidays or weekends).

Dailyuse: 1 tablet Truvada per day....

on-demand: 2 tablets about 12 hours (24 up to 2hours)  before sexual contact, then 1 tablet every 24 hours after the first pill for the whole duration of the period. Then stop"

That's kind of new information for me; has anyoneof you used PreP this way?

It's good--one study shows 'on-demand' PrEP 86% effective. Men in that study took an average of 16 pills a month. However, if you do it rarely, it's less effective (I assume it's because the residual dose in you blood gets depleted between sessions). So, every weekend, pretty good. Once a month, much less effective.

• Upvote 1

I've heard about this, but I don't know about any results.  I guess if you bareback really infrequently it could be an option, but since you end up taking it for a full month AFTER sex (I think), I'd be taking it year round anyway.  If you're fucking raw even just once per month, you'd always be on it.

• Upvote 1

Hi, 

So you have to keep on taking one pill a day for 4 weeks after your last risk exposure? 

What if you stop it right away after your last contact?

I alternate between times when I go chasing after every possible load to breed my ass, with times when I'm just work-gym-sleep-repeat so, yes talking PrEP on demand could work for me to minimize side effects (if any) and costs.

• Moderators

The only approved regimen for a doctor in the US to prescribe is daily use with continuation 30 days past the last incident of sexual contact without a condom. The on-demand strategy has been shown to be (slightly less) effective, but it has not been approved by the various agencies for use here. As always, doctors can give "off label" prescriptions, but they are not supposed to . 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the ipergay study by France medical team 

conservative dosage is 7 days daily pill before first activity 

ipergay study is one pill 24hour before sex and 2 hour before sex (2 pills total) and just follow up 2 pills after sex renders it 86% safe

for myself, I took my first raw load after the 3rd pill, so theoretically I'm enjoying about 90% risk deduction, 

there are study that shows taking 4 pills per week would be 96% effective , I wonder if this 4 pills per week applies for after last exposure as well, means I could just consume 16 pills after last exposure, will I enjoy 96% risk deduction?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gay87 said:

This is the ipergay study by France medical team 

conservative dosage is 7 days daily pill before first activity 

ipergay study is one pill 24hour before sex and 2 hour before sex (2 pills total) and just follow up 2 pills after sex renders it 86% safe

for myself, I took my first raw load after the 3rd pill, so theoretically I'm enjoying about 90% risk deduction, 

there are study that shows taking 4 pills per week would be 96% effective , I wonder if this 4 pills per week applies for after last exposure as well, means I could just consume 16 pills after last exposure, will I enjoy 96% risk deduction?

I think it means taking 4 pills weekly.. something like take every other day.. following a month or even a week, the person should have a reasonable level of the drug in their system to make it 86%+ effective.  I'm not quoting any study, just extrapolating data and common sense

• Upvote 1