Missing Truvada Dose!

hungryhole82

I forgot to take a pill last two nights and missed one dose about 2 weeks ago.  My last encounter with my regular buddy was on March 26.  I read it online that says even if you take truvade 4 times per week it still 96% effective.  I'm just little freaking out.  I would like to know how does drug resistance occurs?

drug resistance is different from missing a dose and your therapeutic steady state levels dropping some. Drug Resistance occurrs when the thing a drug is trying to kill mutates in such a way as to bypass the effects of the drug.  Missing doses causes your therapeutic drug levels to drop temporarily, as long as you take the next dose as soon as you can.

• Upvote 1

Truvada stays in your system for a fairly long time. The level will dip a bit, but you'll still have protection. I wouldn't skip 2 days, but 1 day is fine. And as soon as you realize the mistake, take the make-up dose.

This has nothing to do with do with resistance.

• Upvote 1

I'm searching on drug resistance topic, and found that if patient interrupt or completely stop the treatment then they can develop the drug resistance.  I wonder about the timeline.  How many days, months you have to go off treatment for drug to become resistance to virus?

4 hours ago, hungryhole82 said:

I'm searching on drug resistance topic, and found that if patient interrupt or completely stop the treatment then they can develop the drug resistance.  I wonder about the timeline.  How many days, months you have to go off treatment for drug to become resistance to virus?

IT's going to take longer time off the medication than a missed dose or two to see a potential resistance occur. One of the great things about HIV is that as viruses go it is a fairly wimpy and disorganized virus. Wimpy in that, unlike other viruses, such as hepatitis or influenza, HIV dies the moment it leaves the body; direct fluid contact ust be made for it to survive. Hepatitis can survive for nearly 2 days outside the body, as can many others including nowalk virus, which is the source of "intestinal flu", especially on cruise ships. HIV is disorganized because unlike many other viruses it replication machinery lacks a spell checker to ensure all the RNA was transcribed correctly. This means the virus produces far less functional offspring than a more organized one like influenza.

• 4 weeks later...

Resistance is a real threat if you happen to contract HIV and fail to add the third medication of the antiretroviral cocktail. 

At least that's what a friend said a doctor told him, and why patients must be tested every 3 months to renew their script. 

Edited by wow4761

Ok. Y'all have helped the OP realize that missing one does will not turn him into an near instant virus host.   But what about the MAIXUM missed days before there is a risk.   I only can suggest one data point---my own.   Stopped taking PrEP on 4/1/17.   A POZ BBC cock---the very FIRST cock since quitting Truvada---knocked up my ass on 4/11/17.   My desire to become a bad-ass mother fucking take all cock bug chaser lasted a total of ONE fuck session.  

Anyone else have a story of getting converted soon after the elimination of the chemical condom?   How long?   How many missed pills?   Any other one and done recovering PrEP users out there?