PReP Ignorance

swansub

1 hour ago, descartes70817 said:

Hopefully the world will realise that prevention is cheaper than uncontrolled spread and all HIV treatments will be fre everywhere. Meanwhile knowing that undetectable equals not infectious makes me feel a lot more comfortable about fucking bareback more freely.

I met my POZ undetectable husband three years ago and he's been fucking me raw almost every other day since we met.  I'm not worried at all as he takes his meds faitfully, and since we're monogamous I'm not on PREP with my Doctor's blessing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Guest takingdeepanal
1 hour ago, descartes70817 said:

Hopefully the world will realise that prevention is cheaper than uncontrolled spread and all HIV treatments will be fre everywhere. Meanwhile knowing that undetectable equals not infectious makes me feel a lot more comfortable about fucking bareback more freely.

Which in turn means that your hole won't be as likely to block what you're after.

Guest Memphian
On 4/2/2018 at 10:21 AM, M4mnow2 said:

. . . in the end I went to a free health clinic, my doctor was totally unaware and I decided I needed to manage my own health. It took guts to walk to the clinic and ask, but easier than having a conversation with my doctor that I was hiv positive. I am confused regarding protection thou, at the clinic they tell me it’s around 85%, everything else I read says it’s higher, alas, should I convert, at least I know that I did what I could to protect myself....

My appointment was this past Tuesday. I wound up going to a woman’s health clinic where they do abortions and other reproductive health services. So there was me and one other guy and a bunch of women in the waiting room. I had found them on a website that lists PrEP friendly doctors  

It did take some nerve and it was the first time I came out as bi to anyone. (Other than to guys who had their cock in my mouth or ass.)

But they were cool about it and I just reminded myself they had seen it all and weren’t the least bit shocked by me. 

I’m glad I did it.  $75 per month mail order with my insurance but well worth it for the peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, Memphian said:

My appointment was this past Tuesday. I wound up going to a woman’s health clinic where they do abortions and other reproductive health services. So there was me and one other guy and a bunch of women in the waiting room. I had found them on a website that lists PrEP friendly doctors  

It did take some nerve and it was the first time I came out as bi to anyone. (Other than to guys who had their cock in my mouth or ass.)

But they were cool about it and I just reminded myself they had seen it all and weren’t the least bit shocked by me. 

I’m glad I did it.  $75 per month mail order with my insurance but well worth it for the peace of mind. 

Get the GILEAD Co payment assistance card and you should have $ 0.00 out of pocket !! 

Guest Memphian
2 hours ago, fillmyholeftl said:

Get the GILEAD Co payment assistance card and you should have $ 0.00 out of pocket !! 

I saw where they had a program for that but it mentioned there are eligibility requirements.  I assumed I wouldn't be eligible because of my income.  But I looked into it at your suggestion and it looks like it's available regardless of income, for up to $4,800 per year.  My mail order pharmacy through work doesn't permit this copay assistance for some reason.  But I chose it because it was cheaper ($75/mo.) compared to local retail pharmacies ($110/mo.).  

So it seems that I'm better off moving it to my local pharmacy and the copay assistance will leave me owing zero!  That's how my blood pressure medicine worked too.  It was cheaper to take the copay assistance and use a local pharmacy.

Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, Memphian said:

I saw where they had a program for that but it mentioned there are eligibility requirements.  I assumed I wouldn't be eligible because of my income.  But I looked into it at your suggestion and it looks like it's available regardless of income, for up to $4,800 per year.  My mail order pharmacy through work doesn't permit this copay assistance for some reason.  But I chose it because it was cheaper ($75/mo.) compared to local retail pharmacies ($110/mo.).  

So it seems that I'm better off moving it to my local pharmacy and the copay assistance will leave me owing zero!  That's how my blood pressure medicine worked too.  It was cheaper to take the copay assistance and use a local pharmacy.

Thanks for the tip!

My pleasure !!!  Best of Luck 

I hope someone can help

me with this is prep only good against hiv or does it help against someone that already has aids.  Still neg bottom here not on anything but was just wondering about prep use for hiv and aids thank you 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mjai4854 said:

I hope someone can help

me with this is prep only good against hiv or does it help against someone that already has aids.  Still neg bottom here not on anything but was just wondering about prep use for hiv and aids thank you 

The medication used for PrEP, Truvada, is used to treat HIV/AIDS, but it is not enough by itself to control an HIV infection. It has to be used with one or more other drugs to suppress the virus. 

When an HIV-negative person takes Truvada daily, it makes it almost impossible for them to contract HIV. It does not protect against any other infections though. 

31 minutes ago, drscorpio said:

The medication used for PrEP, Truvada, is used to treat HIV/AIDS, but it is not enough by itself to control an HIV infection. It has to be used with one or more other drugs to suppress the virus. 

When an HIV-negative person takes Truvada daily, it makes it almost impossible for them to contract HIV. It does not protect against any other infections though. 

Also be aware that a viral strain resistant to Truvada has emerged.  There was a case of a man who was on PreP and contracted HIV and began treatment for an active infection.  (https://www.poz.com/article/prep-fails-gay-man-adhering-daily-truvada-contracts-drugresistant-hiv) Not surprising...HIV is remarkably adaptable.

In my case, I can't use Truvada to treat HIV anymore - my doctor tested and my personal virus is resistant to it.  Since radiation for prostate cancer has rendered me, uh, non-functional and without ejaculate, for me it's sort of a moot point, but this is increasingly going to become a live issue.

Edited by NYBBGUY58

Guest BBBoyfromTN

The cruel irony of Prep is the guys who should most be on it have no idea it's available, namely very young guys, bi/straight guys, and closeted guys. You can't pick up a gay magazine or newspaper without seeing ads for it, but if you don't pick one up or afraid of doing it you'll never know. Most of them really don't even know that much about HIV/AIDS and how to prevent getting infected, especially barebacking. Many don't ask about your status or ask the wrong questions. I guess they want to bury their head in the sand...out of sight, out of mind.

3 minutes ago, BBBoyfromTN said:

The cruel irony of Prep is the guys who should most be on it have no idea it's available, namely very young guys, bi/straight guys, and closeted guys. You can't pick up a gay magazine or newspaper without seeing ads for it, but if you don't pick one up or afraid of doing it you'll never know. Most of them really don't even know that much about HIV/AIDS and how to prevent getting infected, especially barebacking. Many don't ask about your status or ask the wrong questions. I guess they want to bury their head in the sand...out of sight, out of mind.

So true !!  I see this all the time in my outreach efforts on in the field... 

• Like 1

Guest Memphian
23 minutes ago, fillmyholeftl said:

So true !!  I see this all the time in my outreach efforts on in the field... 

Yes, I never heard of it until I saw a brochure at the adult theater!

On 4/29/2018 at 8:30 AM, BBBoyfromTN said:

Not to put you completely on point, but you talk about "bury their head in the sand...out of sight, out of mind"; yet you actively talk about deciding not to go on treatment, fucking whoever and not disclosing status. No offense, but aren't you the ultimate hypocrite?  They may be ignorant, but you are willfully omitting something you know....

Otherwise I agree completely, outreach is tough, and getting people to get tested, and on treatment or PrEP isnt easy, but it helps a TON to an endemic issue.   

Edited by wood