PReP Ignorance

swansub

I've been on PReP for a few weeks and have updated my status to Neg+PReP on those sites I'm a member of and am amazed at how many have asked me what PReP is. I know it's not readily available in the UK but I thought everyone would have at least heard of it. All the guys that have asked have their status marked as Neg but judging by their ignorance of PReP I suspect they're just as ignorant of their own status. Before going on PReP I sometimes mentioned to other Neg guys that I preferred fucking Undetectable guys as this seemed to be the safest option of not contracting HIV but most thought I was being naive at the least. Now when I say I'm happy to take Poz loads they think I'm plain stupid. I have one fb who wants me to get fleshly loaded before he arrives but insists that the guy be married and older because it's 'safer'. I'm really taken aback at the level of ignorance.

• Upvote 2

It is pretty astounding, right? PrEP is almost too good to be true, but then so is being undetectable and uninfectious. I think we've lived with pain and the fear of death for so long that many people think we deserve it. I hate that. 

It's going to take time, though. Last numbers I read said 100,000 people in the States were on PrEP. That's from last year, and I think it was based on the previous year. There's more than that now, more still when you count non-US countries, but still not nearly enough people for such an incredible drug. Talking about it is really important. I've actually had several mothers of gay sons, friends on social media, find out about PrEP from me and go do the Mom Thing with their kids.

• Upvote 3

I agree. So many have no idea what PrEP is.  Its amazing.  With 1 daily pill I can fuck my brains out and really not have to worry about getting HIV. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of it all. I'm a terrible patient and dealing with all those doctors visits..no thanks.  I spread the word because there is nothing like fucking bareback and I won't use condoms for anyone. Also, I make sure they know I DON"T PULL OUT!  Cum deep and as much as possible..Just my 2 cents!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to what I just wrote: You will meet all sorts of gay men. Bare sex has been fabulous for me with poz boys, PREP boys, and negative boys!! Just get out there and enjoy the cruising, anon sex, etc. Sex is about playful fun with whomever and whenever. Happy barebacking!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Spain here, and PrEP is still largely unknown in the gay community, even by those people who frequent the gay venues. 

Main factor, like in the UK, is there is no official approval or way to get it from the healthcare system, and because of that, there is no effort to promote it (why promote something that is not available?)

There's obviously quite a bit of underground/worth of mouth/generic imports movement going on, but it's no substitute for full blown promotion campaigns that come once a protocol has been officially approved. And it won't happen until we get PrEP the right way.

Edited by rawfuckr
  • Upvote 1

Some people need a reality check not everyone can take prep like a lot of drugs it can have nasty effects a few of my friends tried it and a bunch of them now have serious health problems

this drug is dangerous its not as simple as take it and you are protected

• Downvote 7

16 minutes ago, mort said:

Some people need a reality check not everyone can take prep like a lot of drugs it can have nasty effects a few of my friends tried it and a bunch of them now have serious health problems

Just not true... I come across many guys on PrEP in my outreach work. Very Very few have any issues with taking it.  It's been proven to be one of the best tolerasted and least side effect of any anti HIV drugs

• Upvote 4

Guest Upstateguy518

It's definitely ignorance and lack of spreading the word that keeps people in the dark. When I told my friends about prep, They thought I was bullshitting them and now they know it's a real thing. Word of mouth is gonna help so as long as people keep talking about it, It will continue to grow in popularity.

22 hours ago, fillmyholeftl said:

Just not true... I come across many guys on PrEP in my outreach work. Very Very few have any issues with taking it.  It's been proven to be one of the best tolerasted and least side effect of any anti HIV drugs

It is true I work in medical field so to try and claim it does not cause these issues is ignorance every drug has negative effects which can effect different people in different ways.

I was the one who recommended to my friends to go on it because i listened to all the hype plus the data I was fed looked very good (they did the samething when hiv/aids hit in 80s) and have even been offered favours from some companies to try and push the drug.

The problem with drugs is you may have no ill effects until a lot of damage has been caused some people this can happen quickly others years which this drug is fairly new so no one truly knows the long term effect it can have for groups of people.

The last point is you may see the stats which claim protects 99% so on again this is untrue it comes down to your health and what you are interacting with this is the problem with trials in some countries US is awful for it they are pushing agenders

It's peoples own choice at the end of the day but one thing I will say is if you want to use this you should have to fund it yourself I do not agree with others picking up the bill but people shouldn't be getting ripped off like they currently are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

On 6/5/2017 at 3:02 PM, BBinBoundBrook said:

I had never heard of it until I came here and started seeing it. I'm still not sure how to go about asking my doctor for some really. I'm not even sure he'll let me have it.

Here's a good primer on how to approach your doctor about PrEP.

http://www.advocate.com/31-days-prep/2014/10/16/how-talk-your-doctor-about-prep

If he refuses, you might need to change doctors. Here's a source for PrEP-friendly healthcare providers: http://www.preplocator.org

On 6/9/2017 at 9:37 AM, mort said:

It is true I work in medical field so to try and claim it does not cause these issues is ignorance every drug has negative effects...

This post is so full of shit it's hard to know where to begin. I'll try:

"It is true I work in medical field..."

Oh really? Fully 1/8 of Americans "work in the medical field" -- from receptionists to brain surgeons. Unless you have specialized credentials in HIV science you really aren't in a position to contradict the experts. 

"...this drug is fairly new so no one truly knows the long term effect it can have for groups of people."

The two component drugs in Truvada have been used for many years to treat HIV+ patients. There are millions of patient-years of experience. The potential negative effects are well known and controlled for.

And look, if you get HIV you will face a hell of a lot worse long-term effects, and you'll have no choice but to take even more meds for the rest of your life. For anyone truly at risk of infection, PrEP is a no-brainer.

"The last point is you may see the stats which claim protects 99% so on again this is untrue..."

Care to provide some evidence for your claim? You are contradicting peer-reviewed scientific research, which states that *when taken daily* efficacy is 99%. The lower effectiveness figures include trial subjects who missed too many doses.

"if you want to use this you should have to fund it yourself I do not agree with others picking up the bill..."

Rubbish. If people get HIV their treatment over a lifetime will cost FAR more than PrEP -- and others (insurance or national healthcare) will be paying for it. Prevention is a wise investment,  which is why most US health insurance companies have made the calculation that it's worth paying for PrEP.

• Upvote 6

On 6/8/2017 at 10:53 AM, mort said:

Yeah, yeah... when it's between an anonymous asshole online referring to "a bunch of friends," versus mountains of published evidence that Truvada is a very safe medication, I'll go with the latter.

It really seems like some gay guys (I'm going to assume you are one) have been so brainwashed that gay sex is dirty, unhealthy and bad that they just can't let that go.

• Upvote 3