PReP Ignorance

swansub

On 4/29/2018 at 9:34 AM, fillmyholeftl said:

So true !!  I see this all the time in my outreach efforts on in the field... 

On 4/29/2018 at 9:30 AM, BBBoyfromTN said:

The cruel irony of Prep is the guys who should most be on it have no idea it's available, namely very young guys, bi/straight guys, and closeted guys. You can't pick up a gay magazine or newspaper without seeing ads for it, but if you don't pick one up or afraid of doing it you'll never know. Most of them really don't even know that much about HIV/AIDS and how to prevent getting infected, especially barebacking. Many don't ask about your status or ask the wrong questions. I guess they want to bury their head in the sand...out of sight, out of mind.

I cannot tell how I felt when I found out about Prep after being POZ, I heard almost nothing about it before catching HIV and now that I know about it, it's a cruel irony. The problem with the Anglophone Caribbean is the Sodomy laws on the books makes Gay, Bisexual and Bi-curious men scared of going to a doctor and asking about treatment for HIV, let alone something like Prep. Here was how clumsy the conversation with the doctor I went to to see what was wrong with me, when I was going through what I now know as seroconversion. "Do you practice anal sex?" And to make it worse, the bloody Christian fundamentalists will make your life hell for loving dick, and of course they think preventing the spread of HIV causes promiscuity.

• Like 1

I’m in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have asked about getting on PrEP from my doctors. Only to be told, just practice safe sex. Which has made me more top and bottoming for raw for guys who that I know as negative. I will admit that I want undetectable poz guys to fuck me raw. 

9 hours ago, scott0882 said:

I’m in the Ft. Lauderdale area and have asked about getting on PrEP from my doctors. Only to be told, just practice safe sex. Which has made me more top and bottoming for raw for guys who that I know as negative. I will admit that I want undetectable poz guys to fuck me raw. 

Your strategy, having raw sex with guys who believe themselves to be negative, is the quickest way to get HIV. Most new infections are passed on by recently infected guys who sincerely believe themselves to be neg, but are in fact the most contagious of all.

Get on Prep. There are doctors who aren't self-righteous assholes. Find one of them. Check out preplocator.org

11 hours ago, scott0882 said:

theres a "somewhat" easy way around this, tell your doc your partner is HIV+ and hand him prep materials you can download, and demand it. It will work 

Guest takingdeepanal
14 hours ago, scott0882 said:

And what happens when the CRF19 variant hits FL? What the hell are they going to tell those who they told to be abstinent?

6 hours ago, takingdeepanal said:

And what happens when the CRF19 variant hits FL? What the hell are they going to tell those who they told to be abstinent?

CRF19 is treatable with the same meds as other variants, and as far as we know PrEP protects against it too. The main difference is that it progresses much more quickly to AIDS of left untreated. What remains crucial, whatever variants are out there, is frequent testing.

• Moderators

This is some research I have been hearing about. Apparently, PrEP Ignorance extends to medical students. It's worth reading through the details, but here are the essentials. They surveyed medical students who had learned about PrEP and found that they were least willing to prescribe it to the people who are at highest risk. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drscorpio said:

This is some research I have been hearing about. Apparently, PrEP Ignorance extends to medical students. It's worth reading through the details, but here are the essentials. They surveyed medical students who had learned about PrEP and found that they were least willing to prescribe it to the people who are at highest risk. 

Lovely, if this was Jamaica, this would be worse. 

On 4/19/2018 at 2:29 PM, Memphian said:

My mail order pharmacy through work doesn't permit this copay assistance for some reason.

A tip for others whose pharmacies won't accept your Gilead/McKesson card:

You are free to pay your share out-of-pocket and request reimbursement by mail. You can get a form by calling 1 (877) 505-6986, or print one yourself at www.patientrebateonline.com

I've used the reimbursement process, and it works fine. If your prescription label was folded over itself, clearly mark where to find the required information. Keep copies of everything. (If you are a Kaiser Permanente member, you must also enclose a pharmacy record. This is not the same as your pharmacy receipt, and must instead be obtained from the Medical Secretaries office.)

To be clear, the rules of the program still apply. For example, if you have government insurance (Medicaid/Medi-Cal, VA, etc.), you are not eligible, whether you present the card at the pharmacy or mail a reimbursement form.

Edited by fskn
Clarification
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on PrEP for two years now, still havent paid a dime for the actual meds due to the copayment program. 

I have however paid at least a three or four hundred in doc visit copays and the required lab work. Id say about ~200 per year total out of pocket. Tbh even if it was costing me a thousand dollars a year I would still do it.

I want to remain neg, but I love getting bred and I love breeding every once in a while if he is really cute. 

I have convinced several really young (19-20) bottoms to let me breed them simply by showing them my Truvada bottle. (Guess in their heads its proof Im not Poz) 

Back when I started on PrEP (2016) it wasnt nearly as well known in the medical community as it is now, so much so that my GP actually didnt feel comfortable prescribing it and referred me to a doc who specializes in infectious diseases. (eye roll) 

I am happy that its is becoming a lot more mainstream now. 

I still hate the stigma against it though- "so why do you take PrEP ? Just use condoms? "

My response "fuck condoms first off and besides PrEP has been shown to be more effective than condoms.....why arent you on PrEP?" 

• Upvote 2

On 4/26/2017 at 5:14 PM, subbytch said:

I think we've lived with pain and the fear of death for so long that many people think we deserve it. I hate that. 

There seems to be a growing nihilist mindset in the gay community, and this is the root cause. I'm trying to fight it, but I don't know how to change this mentality. 

• Upvote 1