Give your input on chat

• Administrators

I managed to accidentally delete the other thread about chat (sorry – I thought I was deleting one comment). So give me your thoughts on the new chat. I still have a list of things I'm working on, but your input will help a lot.

I'll post questions here. If you can answer them, it will help me debug things.

First question – do the times on the responses seem correct? In other words, if all the messages (or a lot of them) say "now" – that's a problem, or if all of them say they were posted hours ago – that's also a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• rawTOP featured this topic

would be nice to be able to hit "return" to send the message instead of having to hit the "submit" button.  :-)  Thanks for what you're doing!

• Administrators

To explain why I asked about topical chats…

My eventual goal is to split up Breeding Zone into a number of different brands.

• #BBBH.Men for general barebacking
  • Poz Pigs for HIV fetish
  • Oral Pigs for oral
  • Public Urinals for watersports
  • ??? for straight stuff
  • ??? for chem sex

But I realize each of those needs critical mass for chat to be successful. That said, someone who is turned off by bug chasing may participate in a cleaner bareback chat, so this is a case where the sum of parts may be greater than the whole. But first there needs to be critical mass for each brand.

You guys all said you wanted a unified chat. So that's what I've given you. And it will remain. But once I tackle a few other issues I'll be introducing nice-based chats. I've got them mostly programmed. The only thing lacking is user profiles on those other sites. (I could do them easily, but I want them to be integrated with the profile names here – so when you have a profile name it's reserved for just your use on all the other sites.)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• Administrators

Well, I nearly cleared my list of bugs and enhancement that I compiled yesterday (and took care of a few more things I noticed today).

So another question for you guys… Advertising. I'm thinking the most effective form would be text ads in the chat stream. They'd be kept pretty minimal. I'd put a limit on them where they couldn't be more frequent than every 10 minutes AND there would need to be at least 50 (real) chat messages between them. OR I could do banner ads. Do you guys have a preference?

Also @kitpig said he thought the new chat was "clunky". If you agree (or disagree) can you guys explain what needs to change to make it not clunky?

Otherwise, I think it's mostly done. So let me know what you want changed. [@BlindRawFucker wanted sounds. I hate sounds, but it's an accessibility issue for him, so I'll look into it. And I think he was the one who wanted to get rid of the background image – again for accessibility, so I'll work on that.]

Also – I'm struggling imagining how you'd get alerted when someone wants to do a 1-on-1 chat with you. So thoughts on that would be helpful.

The only thing I would consider "clunky" is that the typing window is a bit large, and when you finish, you have to scroll down to hit the "Submit" tab.  Ideally, it would be nice to just hit the "Return" key to submit your message.  (Think typing with one hand - and doing something else... with the other - :D)

I like the idea of topical chats - sometimes I've been afraid to say some things in open chat, for fear of offending someone - - - or being shamed for some of my interests

Also, hope you can still add the 1-on-1 feature - had some really nasty chats there ;)

Oh - and emoticons - are they available, too?

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

I'll make the comment area smaller. I noticed that last night when I was on my iPhone (on my 27" monitor it wasn't a problem – lol).

Emoticons are not supported, but emojis are supported. Is that good enough?

I think hungrypighole summed up what I meant by 'clunky' very well in terms of a very large comments box and then having to scroll down to press submit, and as a result it isn't easy to follow the chat conversation.  It may be a problem only on Firefox, or maybe just the re-size settings as it didn't all appear in one view on a smaller laptop screen.

i would also repeat my later comment however, which was to say thank you for reintroducing a chat feature :)

• Administrators
7 hours ago, hungrypighole said:

The old chatroom had a list on the homepage of "Whos Chatting."  Any chance of that being added?

It's been there from the start. Right above where you type your comment.