Give your input on chat

• Administrators

There's a problem with chat? Really? I had no clue! Maybe I should have read this thread…

Yeah, that's sarcastic, but yes, I know there's a problem with chat. I worked on it all day yesterday. Only stopped when a woman down the block dragged me to a community meeting.

I know the nature of the problem. Just trying to figure out exactly why and when it's happening.

1 hour ago, PervBBbttm said:

im tired!  i want to chat with my friends.  please make this happen. this is horrible; its been several days

We all feel you, but we should be grateful RT is doing as much as he is. I for one certainly miss chat, but I think we too need to realize it's one guy making all this happen. Unfortunately complex issues take time to diagnose and repair. It seems from what minor updates we've gotten it indicates the issue is more involved than initially suspected. The good news though is that it also seems to look like 1-on-1 may be making a comeback soon, so that said I'm willing to stick it out for however long it takes in order to have a fully functional and full featured chat returning. Considering chat is a dying medium, or rather an under utilized medium I am more than thrilled to have it available here. 

• Administrators

Well, I found a potential source of a problem. Unfortunately it's a data problem (some duplicate records) and data problems take longer to fix than code problems because I first have to write code to fix the data problem, and then prevent the problem from happening again, and then have to find the flaw in the code that created the duplicate records. And then I have to see if that's the source of the current problem.

So clearly that means I need more time. Not certain it will be done before I quit today, but we'll see. Maybe…

By the way… Sorry this is happening. It's sorta just bad luck that it showed it's head right before a weekend. If I had seen it quickly I would have rolled back to the old code. But I would have needed to resolve this problem eventually…