Employment overseas?

Worked for the DoD/Army at Camp Zama, Japan, for 5 years (1985-90), it was a great experience...Accep the offer ASAP and enjpy your 3 year tour. If they like you, and you want to stay, they will offer you a 2 year extension. Do it!!!!! ;);)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I have accepted offer, just waiting on the paper work. I was stationed in Atsugi as a squid back in 2008. My doctor has a POC in Tokyo that he is talking too now to see if I can transfer over to him. I assume the military hospital will be limited to basic needs.

• 1 year later...

Update, Japan has been an awesome experience. I was able to find a great doctor in Tokyo who has been in the game since the 80's. I know Singapore lifted their short stay visit ban, but from what i have found online it appears there is still a Long term stay ban. Not sure how that affects govt or DOD workers. Anybody got experience with SG?

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 9:56 PM, goodblkdicknass said:

Update, Japan has been an awesome experience. I was able to find a great doctor in Tokyo who has been in the game since the 80's. I know Singapore lifted their short stay visit ban, but from what i have found online it appears there is still a Long term stay ban. Not sure how that affects govt or DOD workers. Anybody got experience with SG?

A friend has worked in Singapore for about the past 20 years and I suspect there isn’t much leeway.  My friend works for one of the largest companies in the world, and he says as long as you play by the rules it’s a fantastic place to live, just don’t ever break them.  I suspect unless you’re a very high level employee there wouldn’t be any exceptions for long term stays. 

• Thanks 1