PrEp without income in the state of Florida? Anyone have experience with this?

TheLusciousLad

Long story short, i'm 21 years old and i'm trying to get on SSI/disability due to my conditions i have (type 1 diabetes, autism, adhd, and a few other mental conditions). I haven't been approved for SSI yet however, and will most likely not be approved until another 2 years (it's a very long process)

BUT my point is: i don't have any income at all, so I have to be on state health insurance. 

Right now, i'm on state health insurance in Wisconsin. But my adoptive parents are going to be sending me down to Florida to live with relatives, so I'll have to go on state health insurance there instead once i move away (in October 2017)

Today, my doctor just put me on PrEp, as i requested. It's covered by my state health insurance in Wisconsin, but would it be covered by state health insurance in florida? does anyone have any experience with this? 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know exactly how local to Jacksonville this is, but I do know that if you're low income, you can get a waiver down here and they'll cover the whole cost of it.  It's viewed as a public health investment, because everybody that doesn't seroconvert is a lower liability to the health system in the long run.  Look for an LGBT resource center in the city you end up in, and they'll have information on where to go.  There are usually clinics that sorta just specialize in getting you access to things like that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Candlewood said:

I don't know exactly how local to Jacksonville this is, but I do know that if you're low income, you can get a waiver down here and they'll cover the whole cost of it.  It's viewed as a public health investment, because everybody that doesn't seroconvert is a lower liability to the health system in the long run.  Look for an LGBT resource center in the city you end up in, and they'll have information on where to go.  There are usually clinics that sorta just specialize in getting you access to things like that.

ok :) thanks :)

• 1 month later...

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and unfortunately have subsided medical through one of the 2 hospital districts. I asked, about starting prep after catching syphilis 5 years ago. My doctor just told me that I didn't need it and just have safe sex. 

@scott0882, I encourage you to ask again, even to the point of finding a new doctor and/or health system. Truvada for PrEP is FDA-approved, is the standard of care, and is covered by most private and public health insurance plans.

If I'm reading your message correctly, you mention that you asked five years ago. That was around the time of the FDA approval. Very few doctors outside the research and public health communities would have known about PrEP back then. It could also be that your doctor thought you were asking for PEP (Post- Exposure Prophylaxis).

@TheLusciousLad, have you been able to get your PrEP care covered?

Guest GoneFishing
On 8/4/2017 at 7:55 PM, scott0882 said:

I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area and unfortunately have subsided medical through one of the 2 hospital districts. I asked, about starting prep after catching syphilis 5 years ago. My doctor just told me that I didn't need it and just have safe sex. 

fuck that doctor ! fire him and find another one  

19 hours ago, fskn said:

@scott0882, I encourage you to ask again, even to the point of finding a new doctor and/or health system. Truvada for PrEP is FDA-approved, is the standard of care, and is covered by most private and public health insurance plans.

If I'm reading your message correctly, you mention that you asked five years ago. That was around the time of the FDA approval. Very few doctors outside the research and public health communities would have known about PrEP back then. It could also be that your doctor thought you were asking for PEP (Post- Exposure Prophylaxis).

@TheLusciousLad, have you been able to get your PrEP care covered?

Syphilis was 5 years ago, but recently asked for PrEP/Truvada. I asked for it by its name and not PrEP. 

On 8/10/2017 at 8:44 AM, scott0882 said:

Syphilis was 5 years ago, but recently asked for PrEP/Truvada. I asked for it by its name and not PrEP. 

That may explain it. A recent STI is one indication for PrEP. But if you believe your sexual activity puts you at risk, ask again, and find another medical provider if you must!

What concerns me is the "don't need it" response. Based on sexual history, timing, test data, and partner info. (if available), a doctor could make such a finding in some cases, if a patient had asked for PEP.

To dismiss a patient's need for PrEP, however, is much more difficult, since it is a matter of assessing past and future sexual risk.

Edited by fskn
Extend

• 2 months later...