Herpes Disclosure

Yeah, 

4 hours ago, barecubtop said:

It seems as though it might've been a HSV-1 infection on my dick rather than a HSV-2 infection.  This can happen, although it's not common. 

Actually, according to the NCBI and CDC, HSV-1 > urogenital area has somewhere between a 5-40% incidence rate depending on the area of the world, and the frequency of oral sex w/ an HSV-1 positive individual. I actually wrote an article about STIs for another site, and that was one of the things I researched.

'Cause I'm a geek.

And trust me: no slut-shaming here. For pity's sake, I take so much anonymous cock I may as well be a community jockstrap, and I've been out of commission in the past while being treated for chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea ... not at the same time, thank heavens, and I've had a clean bill of health for the last couple of years in relation to them ... so it would be more than a bit hypocritical to comment on someone else's STI status.

• Upvote 1

I agree with OP that it's situational.  If you're attending a sex party or Bathouse, you have to know there are risks and you have to be prepared to take (or not) precautions.  The same can be said for using hookup sites such as Craigslist or cruising a park or alley for anon or random hookups.  My general rule is that I don't feel the need to disclose my HIV status, outside of parties and bathhouses.  However, I make it a point to make it a point of disclosing to anyone I meet from Craigslist who says their age is less than 25 (don't play with those who say under 20).  That's more of a cover-my-ass - I have email proof I told them as well as that it was in the post.  At 25 or younger can they even conceive of "the rest of your life?"

And, of course, if I'm dating anyone I disclose before it gets to anything naked.  Which, of course, usually means nothing happens :(

With all of that said, though, the new Zero is Zero (?) campaign - undetectable is untransmittable HIV disclosure is becoming less critical as long as you know your numbers.

On 1/16/2018 at 7:54 PM, barecubtop said:

I appreciate all of the replies, positive and negative, to my original post 6 months ago.  A little update on my situation...I mentioned earlier that every test I've had comes back positive for HSV-1 and negative for HSV-2. I discussed this with my doctor, and we re-examined the test results from the swab they did on my initial outbreak. It seems as though it might've been a HSV-1 infection on my dick rather than a HSV-2 infection.  This can happen, although it's not common.  If our assumption about the true nature of what I have is correct, it would be slightly "better" in a way, in the sense that I may not be shedding as much as I thought I was if I had HSV-2.  I am still taking the Valtrex daily.

What are you taking Valtrex daily?  Most people I know who are HSV-1 and HSV-2 positive don't really have any symptoms.

3 hours ago, rawfuckr said:

What are you taking Valtrex daily?  Most people I know who are HSV-1 and HSV-2 positive don't really have any symptoms.

Originally, when I thought it was HSV-2, the Valtrex was not only to suppress symptom development but also to reduce the amount of "shedding" when there aren't symptoms.  If it IS HSV-1, the Valtrex may not be needed daily.  I've gotten into the habit of taking it every morning along with my PrEP, so I've just continued.

Guest hungandmean
9 hours ago, rawfuckr said:

You can have no symptoms and still pass on the virus. This can happen before the outbreak appears, or if people begin sexual activity after the outbreak appears to have healed but hasn't.

Valtrex is a very common medication for men on PReP or ARV/HAART to be on. It reduces the frequency of outbreaks, the severity of them, and the chance of transmission when you may not realize you are contagious.

Herpes isn't life threatening for gay men, as the major risks of the virus involve giving birth while having an outbreak - but it is a nuisance and some people do suffer severe neurological pain in rare cases. Herpatic nerve pain can last for months after an outbreak... just ask anyone who's had shingles.

11 hours ago, hungandmean said:

You can have no symptoms and still pass on the virus. This can happen before the outbreak appears, or if people begin sexual activity after the outbreak appears to have healed but hasn't.

Valtrex is a very common medication for men on PReP or ARV/HAART to be on. It reduces the frequency of outbreaks, the severity of them, and the chance of transmission when you may not realize you are contagious.

Herpes isn't life threatening for gay men, as the major risks of the virus involve giving birth while having an outbreak - but it is a nuisance and some people do suffer severe neurological pain in rare cases. Herpatic nerve pain can last for months after an outbreak... just ask anyone who's had shingles.

18 hours ago, barecubtop said:

Originally, when I thought it was HSV-2, the Valtrex was not only to suppress symptom development but also to reduce the amount of "shedding" when there aren't symptoms.  If it IS HSV-1, the Valtrex may not be needed daily.  I've gotten into the habit of taking it every morning along with my PrEP, so I've just continued.

I'm just wondering if for someone who has no outbreaks, no symptoms and no other problems with his HSV-1 and HSV-2 if it's advisable to be on daily Valtrex. I guess the argument would be to reduce shedding, but given all medicines have a tax on your body the cost/benefit here of Valtrex for guys who have no HSV issues is unclear.