Why do tops ask if poz or neg?

Dex

I'd rather not poz someone else. Contrary to the popular opinion of many people on this forum, I don't view HIV as a gift to shared - even if it is to a willing bug-chasing bottom.

• Thanks 1

I got asked my status by someone who wanted to meet with me. I told him I'm negative - which I am - and he told me that he is too. Today I've seen something he's posted on another website where he makes quite clear that he is not. So I'm guessing that sometimes - they'll ask the bottom's status out of dishonesty (i.e. to decide whether to admit to being poz or not). Maybe the lying about it turns them on, or they just really really want to get laid without using a condom...

I got asked my status by someone who wanted to meet with me. I told him I'm negative - which I am - and he told me that he is too. Today I've seen something he's posted on another website where he makes quite clear that he is not. So I'm guessing that sometimes - they'll ask the bottom's status out of dishonesty (i.e. to decide whether to admit to being poz or not). Maybe the lying about it turns them on, or they just really really want to get laid without using a condom...

Yup, those are known as "Stealthers", or people who like to "sleath". They get a thrill out of fucking neg guys. Quite a few have been getting jail time lately for it too.

I heard a doctor's speech where he said that a top's chance on getting HIV was minimal. Obviously some tops have it, so it is possible for them to get it.

and people lie about their status all the time.

Yes, tops are actually at a higher risk than previously thought. It is due to micro abrasions from the fucking. The top's dick gets them and then the virus gets in. The rougher the fuck, the higher the probability for the top as well. It's not as high as the bottom, but some studies have shown it to be much, much higher than origianlly thought.

• 10 years later...

Because we can get infected too. The risk is less than if you are bottoming but there’s still risk for us. Odds of getting infected as a top are also even less so if you are cut, which I am. 

all in all is good practice to ask for the status of the person you are having sex with.