Gypsy Blood

Toon

(late 70's, somewhere in the Midwest)

I was just a bored, stupid little kid living on a farm. Dad worked in the fields and I was pretty much left on my own while Mom ironed and watched game shows and stupid soap operas. We lived on a gravel road that had very little traffic. A farm truck now and then, but that's about it. You couldn't even see the closest neighbors' house.  After all the Spring rain, the county would pour new gravel in late June. I was into rocks back then. I saw beauty in the little stones and inspected each one that caught my eye. At a certain time of day, I'd head home with my pockets full of fascinating little rocks. I'd do the same thing the next day -- because I stupidly believed the gravel was like ocean tides, with new ones washing up each morning. One day I wandered pretty far down the road. Maybe a mile or more. 

Here's where the story falls apart in my memory. I somehow blanked out that day, the day I went too far away. Here's what I know for sure happened. My head was hurt, broken, bleeding. Ask anyone who's had a concussion or brain injury, and they'll tell you that they remember very little about it. Same with people who've had shock treatment several times. The first thing I remember is a nurse handing me a little cup of chocolate milk. I remember doctors and a nice hospital bed. The scenes get shorter and smaller. Faster. There was a sheriff sitting in our living room talking with my parents in quiet voices. I remember opening my eyes and seeing an orange cat sleeping on my chest. Never saw him again.

My memories got sharper as the year went on. I had a sixth birthday party. There was a chocolate cake and I got a rock tumbler, some new Hot Wheels cars and coloring books. I hadn't been to school yet -- which is probably for the best since I had a bunch of wicked scars on my head. It caused my wavy brown hair to grow in weird ways. I looked like a haystack. It was just one of the ways I was different now. I had dreams about grown men kissing me... Fonzie was in my closet and pulled me in so we could hug and kiss with our clothes off. 

Let me state outright that I don't believe brain trauma can change your sexuality. I think  it may come off that way as I'm telling you this. I'm certain I was already gay in the womb. 

I started Kindergarten at age 7. I was only slightly bigger than everybody else. I had crazy hair, but the 80's had arrived and Mom just put mousse foam in it and worked into the spikes and organized chaos. I was a strangely fashionable kid in all through grade school. I had friends, and it was through some of them that I started to piece together information about what really happened to me. Kids overhear everything their parents talk about. Loose lips. It turns out I wasn't hit by a car, like I'd originally thought. I'd been attacked. ! I was in sixth grade by the time I knew everything.  I was found in a ditch with my head bashed in. I'd also been raped in the butt. Everybody blamed gypsies. Gypsies were the boogeymen in are area. They were thieves and used drugs and murdered little kids who wandered off.  They moved into rundown empty houses and then go steal everything. Both the guys and the girls wore earrings. I don't think I ever saw one. 

No one was ever charged and the case "went cold". So I finally knew what nobody who loved me wanted to report. Raped? I could barely believe that part. But I was now a teenager and other things were on my mind. I had a few wet dreams and figured out how to masturbate. I would get severe crushes on guys and have no idea what to do about it. I was moody as hell and not getting along with my parents. I always felt like I had the upper hand with them back then. I was saving my ace for the right time. Mom was on my casr about my messy room and my lax grooming habits. One night, at the dinner table, Dad was blathering on and on about my grades or some shit.

"You roll your eyes one more time and I'll paddle your little butt."

"My butt? The same butt that was raped when I was four? Is that the one you mean? Why didn't you tell me??"

The room went ice cold. Mom got up from the table and went to the kitchen.

"You didn't need to know. Once we realized you didn't remember anything, your mother and I thought it was best to just forget it ever happened. We wanted to move on."

I guess he did what he thought was best, but I had already worked myself up into a major sulk. I felt entitled to pout and slam doors for a few days. The incident was never discussed again. By the time I turned 17, I got a driver's license and had liberal use of the second car we had. I also started a part-time job at K-Mart.  I wanted to work in the stereo department, but they started me out at the registers. It was brainless (no pun intended) but the time flew by. At one employee meeting, we were told what to do if a family of gypsies entered the store. My ears perked up. Apparently, they were known to arrive in a large group and then fan out, stealing everything they could. There was a protocol for employees to follow if and when this ever happened. What I didn't know was a lot. What was their motivation? What did they look like? I wanted to know more, but nobody I talked to knew much more information than I did.

Tammy often worked at the register next to mine. She was pure trash and not very well thought of. "Hammy Tammy" was what people called her out of earshot. I didn't mind her. She was pretty stupid, but fully who she was. No filters. No walls. During slow times, we were supposed to find something to do. But she and I just talked. You only had to know Tammy for about two minutes before you'd come to the realization she was a full-blown racist. That's not uncommon for this area, but she made no attempts to hide it. 

"Hey, Tammy. Were you at that meeting where they talked about gypsies?" It was early Sunday afternoon and completely dead.

"Yeah. I've been here almost five years and have heard the same shit at least three times."

"Are there any around here?"

"Oh yeah," she cracked her gum "They're like roaches. One of the families or whatever lives down the road from my grandpa Ernie's farm. Never seen 'em in here though."

"What do they look like?"

"Various colors. Black hair. Could be they're Italian (she pronounced it 'eye-talyun') They don't look American. They smell bad and wear weird clothes. The women dress like sluts, but with a lot of clothes on -- if that makes sense. Lots of cheap jewelry. The men are always filthy, but try to look all sexy. Why?"

"I've just never seen one."

"Be glad. Hey-- are you 18 yet?"

"Next month."

"You lucked out. They're changing the legal drinking age to 19 next year. And then it goes up a year at a time. Ya'll are just one step ahead of it. We'll go out on your birthday and get good and drunk."

I'd never even thought about drinking before. Not much anyway. It killed brain cells, and I think I was overdrawn as it was. I was actually 18 already, but I kept up the lie because I'd lived it so long. I could go home, open the fridge and down a beer in front of my mom and dad. But I had started to feel sorry for them. Mom never had another baby after me -- probably because I was such a tragedy.  They also argued a lot. I decided they'd been punished enough, and so I tried to be a pleasant son. 

Tammy was making plans for my 18th (actually 20th) birthday. "We can go to The Crossing. On Meridian. It ain't bad. But you have to understand that I got a boyfriend now. Lucas, who works at the grain elevator. If he wants to go out that night, we can do it some other time." Tammy wanted a steady boyfriend so badly (as I secretly did). She'd end up getting used and dumped  over and over again. It was a pattern she'd repeat until she got older and her heart would furn to ice. 

The night arrived and Lucas had blown her off. Tammy didn't take hints willingly. It was so weird to be feeling  sorry for people after I'd spent so much time feeling sorry for myself. I picked her up at her trailer and opened the car door for her. She deserved to be treated like a lady once in a while. Her makeup was pretty heavy and it didn't quite come together like she thought it did. I knew she hadn't glammed up for me..but for the guys we might see at The Crossing. Maybe she knew I was gay...or maybe I just wasn't enough of the caveman type she preferred. 

"I like that shirt...but you shouldn't wear red. It's not your color. I'm gonna be a beauty technician one day. I'll help you pick out clothes if you want."

The Crossing was not so bad. I was no fan of country music, but at least they mix in some Madonna once in a while. God love her, that bitch wouldn't go away. I asked Tammy if she wanted to dance.

"Not now. I need to get a buzz first. Lemme go get us a pitcher." We drank beer and looked around. Tammy's eyes were like a spotlight scanning the crowd. Damn, this girl needed a dick. I guess I did too, but there were no gay dudes here. She put on her seductive face, but it was failing. 

"You come here a lot,Tammy?" She snapped out of her man-seeking trance...

"Yeah. Always on payday...and some other nights when I'm bored. Do you play pool?"

"No. I never learned how. My hand-to-eye coordination is pretty bad." She wasn't really listening. She drank beer so fast. I asked her what she was thinking. She seemed surprised at the question that probably had ever been asked her.

"I...I think I'm sorry I forgot your birthday present. It's at home. I'm thinking all the girls here are skinny whores. I'm thinking I'm drunk now." She laughed and got us a third pitcher. 

"I've never been drunk before. Will I get sick? Throw up?"

"It depends. We should go now anyway. I'm sick of this place."

"Can you show me where those gypsies live?"

"What? Why? We can go to that little bridge over the creek where the ghosts are."

"Been there (I hadn't). I need to see those gypsies. "

"OK. That could be spooky too. I won't get too close, though." We drove down a county road just outside of town. Tammy was a little confused and we briefly got lost. 

"Are we on the right road now?"

"Yeah. That's my grandpa's house. He and his new wife stay up late. Just pull in and leave me here. I'll crash here and you go can go find the gypsies...about a mile that way. Be careful." She didn't even let me open the car door for her. She just got and puked in the grass. I made sure she made it up to the door before I pulled back onto the dark road. I felt drunk and something nameless. I needed a plan. Would I park somewhere and walk there to get a look? I was so out of it that I just parked in the driveway, headlights blazing. Stupid. I don't know what my line of thinking was. I needed to see them. It was a two-story stone house. It might have been nice a hundred years ago, but it was a little sad now. There was light inside, but it was very dim. I never had a chance to knock on the door because a tall, hefty male opened the door. I couldn't make out his expression or even features. in the shadows. What the hell was I going to say?

"Hi...uhhh...I'm just..,"

"Come in! Ma Ma knew you would come this night.  He's here everyone! The stranger in red has come to the door just like Ma Ma said!" What?

The inside of the big front room had about a dozen people inside. The youngest were around my age and the oldest had to be in her 80's. Ma Ma, I was guessing. The smells were powerful and confusing. It was like a locker room combined with frying smells combined with something exotic. There were a few table lamps on with color scarves over the shades. I guess they had electricity. I felt like all the dark eyes look me over. 

"Bring him to me," the old woman said. She looked like a gypsy cliche...beads, bangles, big hoop earrings. If she'd had a crystal ball in her lap, the picture would have been complete. I was shy, but strangely not afraid around this group.

"Good evening, M'am."

"Yes. I knew you come to the door. You seek us long time, yes?"

"My name is Alec. And...yes. How did you know I was coming?"

"Your mind is not just your own, yes? I read you in last night's sky. Once you have spilled blood on the earth, it knows where you are and where you will go. Give me one hand." I timidly held my right hand out. I figured she would read my palm or something, but she just held it in her ancient fingers.

"YES!", she croaked loudly "He has gypsy blood in him!" There was a chorus of cheers from the rest. I guess she might technically be right. Was I dreaming this?

"I don't think so. But maybe."

"I think so. You have much grief also."

"Why?"

"We talk more tomorrow if you wish. I need bed now." I helped her up from the worn-out recliner. "You are good man. The girls will help from here. Good night. Mr Alec."

With a few nods and grunts, all the females in the room got up from their seats to lead her upstairs. They gave me smiles and sweet 'good nights' as they left. Ma Ma paused at the doorway. "You boys don't give him too much wine. He's already smell of drinking."

And then it was just me and six men in the room. They seemed to relax after the ladies exited. A big bottle of wine came out, but no glasses or cups. We all just passed it around. They all removed their shoes and a few of them took off the shirts too. The guy next to me on one of the couch was maybe about 40 with a huge gut, covered with hair. His name was Gino and he gave off very friendly vibes. None of them had socks on and the smell of their feet filled the room. I guess it was a gypsy thing. I felt so Midwestern and American because there was no TV to focus on. I was asked many questions.

"You work?" Gino was the first to talk.

"Yeah. K-Mart. I might go to college next year."

"Thone went to college one year. Right, Thone?" Thone was the youngest of the group. He had slick black hair that was dirty but looked retro-cool. 

"Yeah. So much pussy in college."

"No. This man don't want the pussy! You stupid? Go outside and smoke." The guy yelling at him was the one who answered the door. Maran. He was a big man with a full beard. I think he winked at me. Not sure. Thone skulked away. The mood changed, brightened. More questions were asked. I told them about my life and about the K-Mart policy when it came to gypsies.

"Oh, that shit store," a guy named Turro said with a laugh. "We already got somebody in there...an employee who gets us all kinds of stuff. He's a boyfriend Of Alana's." I mentally scanned the list of  male coworkers and figured it was one of two guys.

Gino was crowding closer to me. At some point, somebody brought out more wine and someone else lit a fat, fragrant joint. I'd never smoked it before, but made an effort. I was a gypsy now...Ma Ma had said so. The others drifted away to bed. I had no idea what time it was. Midnight? Later? It was just me, Maran and Dino left. 

"It's my birthday," I said for no reason. 

"Yes. Ma Ma knew that too. 20? You don't look 20. Too young and also too old for that number. But at least you are now old enough to suck a dick. You like to suck the dick?" What? This had taken a turn. 

"I never have."

"You want to suck Gino and me? Nobody will see." I wanted to. I took a long drag off the joint. 

"I can try." Maran gave me the wine bottle one last time before stripping off his black jeans. Gino was already naked. I could tell Maran had authority here. His dick was shiny and super hard. And way bigger than my own. I kissed it like I was like I was kissing someone on the cheek. He urged the head into my mouth. OK. I could do this. He seemed to know my limit and didn't go any deeper. The taste was a little foul because he wasn't very clean. He pulled away.

"I don't want to shoot seed now. Let Gino do that for you." That's all the invitation the fat guy needed. He poked me in the nose with his cock. It was as big as his brother's, but he had this hanging gut to contend with. I was into it now, though. I lavished his big meat with my tongue, mouth and throat. I wanted to please him so badly. He liked the extra attention and held my head as he came. I tasted sperm at last, but not really. I wish I could say it was rich and thick, but I felt it more than tasted it. It hit my back teeth and throat. I knew Maran was watching all of this. There must have been some silent communication between them because Gino immediately withdrew his slimy dick from my mouth and put his pants back on. He padded up the stairs quickly. His discarded shirt was still on the couch. 

"Let's sit and have one more drink of wine, yes?" Maran didn't bother putting his pants back on, and wandered back to the kitchen with everything exposed. I sat there and realized that I had just had some gay sex...I had sucked two cocks and had semen in my throat. It was sudden and I had no time to process it. Ma Ma must have seen all of this in the stars.

"I brought you a cup, Alec." It was a tall plastic mug filled to the rim with wine. He seemed fine with just swigging right from the bottle.

"Thanks. What time is it?"

"The right time. Take some drink. I don't want to taste Gino's dirty dick when I kiss you. You like kiss?"

"I've never kissed a man. Or a woman. I ..."

"Yes. Tell me your story now. You wear a story like a heavy coat." I told him everything. The incident. My life."

"I guess that's why I appeared here tonight. Or not. I don't feel in control now."

"You are not in control. Life is. Let it take you for the ride. I must say now that it was most likely a gypsy man who did that to your young self. I am so sorry. We seldom get a chance to make sex. Some can't help but to do a rape. I have never one rime did that. Thone has. He kill nobody though. Do you believe you were killed?"

I was taking big gulps pf the wine. I didn't taste the alcohol at all. "How can I have been murdered if I'm here right now?" I sneaked yet another look at his heavy, hairy dick.

"Death and Life are always side by side. They cross over at times. My believe is that you are at the edge...especial after tonight."

"What do you mean?"

"This night, before the sun comes up, I will make you pregnant. I will give you a living thing that is a form of death. I will give you a baby from here." He grabbed his big balls. "Look now." I thought he wanted me to look at his balls, but no. He crossed his right leg over his left knee to show me a purple-brown sore on his ankle. I knew what it was, what he was telling me. It was a little over an inch wide. Oddly shaped.

"Does it hurt?"

"No. No hurt. It looks like a half a wishbone, yes? Ma Ma said my wishes were almost gone when I showed it to her. I think she partly blames herself. We were in the Chicago and I was doing bad things -- we all were. Talia got the abortion. Right before we come here I was sick so badly. I am better, but I have death inside me. It has just waiting to do. Tell me your thinking right now." 

I grabbed those giant toes and looked into his eyes. "I thought you said we were going to kiss."

He smiled brightly. "Yes. Finish the wine with me. It is no allowed upstairs."

We sat quietly and sipped. I wished so much there was a TV on. There needed to be a third party present...otherwise I had to deal with a large, handsome gypsy next to me. A man with AIDS who wanted to give me his babies. I tried to think of something to say, but I was too busy taking in every detail of his growing erection. I realized I'd take everything that weapon had to give. I tried to maintain some cool, but then he kissed me. On the mouth. Long and deep as we shared each others' breath. I'd never done this before. I thought my heart would explode. We devoured each other with intense kissing for almost 10 minutes. I no longer had free will as he led me up the creaking stairs.

His room was a single. Lord only knows where are the others slept. There was just a mattress on the floor, although it was dully fitted with sheets, pillows and a comforter. It smelled strongly of body odor...but I kind of liked it. 

"How many pillow you use, Alec?"

"Two. One under my head and one to hold."

"I will give you one for the head and you hold me then." His big bare feet hung off the edge of the mattress. He put his arms behind his head and I noticed what an out-of-control bush he had in his armpits. He looked me up and down with a look that said 'get nude'. We were telepathic all the sudden. I mentally apologized for how skinny and pale I was. 

"Is OK. I hope I do not break you in pieces."

I felt his feverish body heat from three feet away. I had a full-on boner and was a little dizzy. He motioned me to come lay down as he stroked his giant dark dick. I remember how much I liked sucking it before, and so I knelt down and took Maran's penis in my mouth again. It was so hard and seemed to have a life of its own. 

"You do too much work. Lay down and the dizzy will go away. Then I do the working for both of us." I lied back on my assigned spot with my one pillow. This was happening. There were no lights on at my parents' house, and they asleep with no idea where I was or what I was doing. 

"Maran?..." I felt a question in my head, but didn't have a way to ask it.

"Shh. You never have done this, yes?"

"No. I've never done anything...voluntarily."

He was quiet for a few seconds. "It will be hurting very much. My first time taking the dick, I screamed like tiny girl." I somehow had forgotten how to breathe or blink. 

"It's okay. I want this," I said in my mind.

"Yes. This house has many ears. My suggest is that you lay on your stomach...face in pillow." I did as told. "Take a deep breathe of air." He climbed on top of me. His giant body felt like a redwood tree made of flesh and fur. He pressed my legs apart with his full weight, and his dick pressed into my hole. NO! I lifted my head up and started to protest. He pressed my face back into the pillow. I inhaled the pungent smell of him as he kept pushing his giant tool into me. It was impossible pain. Literally. It wasn't possible to hurt this bad and still be alive. My screams went right directly into the pillow. 

"Yes. I am all the way in your insides now. Feels so nice. I will shoot seed very soon." He pumped and thrust and sweat. I wish I could say the pain turned to pleasure, but it did not. 

"Oh! Take these children...NOW!" He heaved one last time and was still. "Yes. Now we are family."

I lifted my face off the pillow and groaned. "Did you like it?"

"Very much yes. You have blood on you. The bathroom is just across from here. No hot water just now." I went there as soon as I could stand.  It was like the rest of the house -- dim and messy. I was dripping blood and in pain. I mopped up a little with wet toilet paper. It took some time, and I was afraid Maran was already asleep. And he was. I lie next to him and listened to his breathing. Not one part of me was sleepy. He dozed for awhile and I stared at the moonlight dancing on the ceiling. We made love two more times -- the third time I was on my back. If finally felt good. I could see why people did this. I came twice that night. At some point, Maran got up and opened the window so that we could "sleep to the songs pf the stars". I hugged his big, musky frame until dawn. 

In the morning, I got up and dressed in the previous night's clothes. Maran was sleeping like a rock, snoring a little. Maybe I'd go out and enjoy the morning air before going home. I always had clearer thoughts outdoors. I needed to do some thinking now. But there were awakened sounds downstairs. Ma Ma and two of the females were making breakfast. That shyness I was cursed with returned. I didn't feel like I could just leave. I just walked into the kitchen and said "Good morning." The girls were delighted to see me, but the old lady didn't turn away from the stove. One of them started to pour me a cup of coffee, but Ma Ma stopped them with no words, just a gesture. 

She still hadn't turned to look at me. "He is no coffee. Leaves us for four minute." The girls giggled and breezed past me. Two of them went upstairs and two went outside. I knew they were all talking about me. Ma Ma finally turned and looked at me. 

"The stranger is still wear red. I can get you one of Thone's clean shirt. He is thin like you."

"No. Thank you, but I am fine."

"Not fine. Here...I brew you this tea. It help you heal. Stop the blood." She pushed a teacup toward me. It smelled nice. We sat across from each other at the table. 

"You are very kind, Ma Ma."

"I know everything, Alec. I can see and hear things even in sleep. You need to say things now?"

"I...No. I mean...."

"Yes. Go on?"

"I feel very different today. I think I love Maran."

"I knew that. Love is what it is. My longtime dead husband and me had so much love we think we invented it. We did not. Maran is my oldest grandson. He has a golden heart and is a leader. One day I be underground and he will lead this family. He has claimed you now. He know your heart and thoughts forever...you give a man your blood and he is in it at all time. Drink your tea. It is no good when cold." I consumed the tea and her words. I wanted to rush upstairs and see my man.

"He will be down soon. I fry ham and all get out of bed right soon."  She could read my thoughts, but hers were unreadable so far.

As the skillet heated up and the wonderful aroma drifted through the house, there were noises from upstairs. The men all lumbered down, wearing t-shirts and shorts. Maran looked so beautiful with messy hair and sleepy eyes. He squeezed my shoulder and took the chair next to mine. I mentally told me that I loved him. His voice was suddenly booming in my head. 'Yes. We eat some and then go out to walk. We can kiss once more and hold.'

The end? Not quite. I was at the gypsy house more than my own in the following weeks. I was so addicted to Maran.  There were a few days when I had to concentrate on finals and couldn't visit. I felt dead inside. But it all ended when I graduated. The whole family arrived and sat as close as they could. My parents must have known something....I hadn't talked about college or moving or anything like that. I took care of that the next day. I packed up a few things, withdrew all the college from my bank account, and moved in with my new family.

We're in Alabama now. Maran and I are both healthy (me more than him). It's all good. It's better than good.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2