Fetish/Kink Differences

barecubtop

I'm often asked if I'm into any kinks.  I usually respond that I'm into bb, rimming, felching, and that I'm interested in trying WS.  But, I guess I'm curious as to the differences between fetishes and kinks and what are examples of each?  Is barebacking a fetish, a kink, or both?  Is liking to see my bottoms in a jockstrap a fetish/kink, or is underwear a fetish/kink only if you actually want to "play" with it in some way (sniffing, putting it in your mouth, etc...)?  Same with leather.  What makes leather/underwear a fetish/kink as opposed to just something that one likes to see (and turns them on)?  I'm sure there are official definitions of these somewhere, but I'd like to see what all of you think/say.  Thanks.

I too think there is hardly any difference between the two. If I had to explain it I would say that fetish is what you LIKE (e.g. leather, jockstraps, rubber etc.) and what you DO (e.g. fucking in leather, jockstrap and so on). But maybe someone else has a better definition.

I think a fetish is an object or maybe a material which is sexually arousing to you but maybe not to other people generally. So if you are sexually excited by the touch of velvet or the smell of unworn boots or whatever, that is a fetish. 

A kink suggests a behaviour that you find sexually arousing but is not vanilla or general. Masturbation is not a kink (turns on most people) but say water sports/pissing is a kink.

Thats my understanding anyway.

• 1 month later...

A fetish is about certain body parts like men who have foot fetishes, leg fetishes, man boobs, and can be clothing like latex, body stocking etc.

Kink is more "accessorised" sex like using a fucking machine, using whips, hogtying a bottom pig, and taking cock bareback. Gangbang and blowbang can also be kinky. 

Taboo is sex that crosses the legal threshold. 

Hope this helps!

Guest KptNLine

I've always understood a fetish to be more focused on one particular object, body part, etc. An underwear fetish (being turned on by the sight of any Man in his underwear), a foot fetish (finding the sight of feet sexually arousing), a leather fetish (finding a Man in leather sexually arousing), etc.

A kink is situational, and something "out of the mainstream" - so, for example, the practice of Domination/submission of BDSM would be a kink, and your fetishes can be part of your practice of kink. So say you're a person who gets off on being a sub in sexual encounters, and you have a leather fetish - you would probably enjoy a Dom dressed fully in leather. 

So in my mind, a fetish can be part of kink, but not the other way around. There's certainly some overlap between the two - imagine you're in the sub role and you're servicing a Dom dressed in leather and you begin licking his boots - that would be the intersection between a fetish and a kink. A fetish because you're turned on by the leather boots themselves, and kink because you're demonstrating your submission to the Dom through the act of licking his boots.

I think that makes sense - hopefully?

Guest Upstateguy518

I always viewed a fetish as something that is almost hard wired in like this is a definitive thing that gets you going and gets you off.

I view a kink as something that excites you sexual but isn’t a necessary thing to get you going. Like it’d be nice to do but you don’t need to do it to get off.

• 2 years later...

The terms are frequently used interchangeably but there is a subtle difference in degrees of attraction between the two:

• A fetish is something non-sexual that a person finds sexually arousing and needs it to get off. A fetish will arouse you regardless of whether you are in a sexual situation.
  • A kink is something outside the mainstream that enhances sexual enjoyment but is not essential to the act, and may not turn you on if you are not having sex.

It gets confusing because the same object can be either a kink or a fetish depending on the person's needs or attractions. Here are a couple examples of the difference:

1. Underwear. If you get turned on going to a store and touching the undies display, then its a fetish. If you like checking out the bulges of guys wearing underwear, then it's a kink.
  2. Leather. Lets say you see a hot guy wearing leather that turns you on. Now imagine he take off his leather. If you lose interest in the guy and want to fuck the leather, then you've got a fetish. If you're still interested in the guy, then it's a kink.
  3. Piss. If you like piss play with sex, it's a kink. If you hang out in restrooms because the sound of guys pissing turns you on, then it's a fetish.

So a kink is something that enhances sexual enjoyment while a fetish is an arousal and need for the thing itself. And just for the record, writing replies on obscure sex topics is definitely not my fetish. The fact I'm naked and hard is completely coincidental.... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1