Truvada and Methotrexate

hungry_hole

I've never been a huge fan of PrEP because I don't find it to be a good sustainable solution for STD prevention. It only protects against HIV, long term side effects not really known and many times financially inaccessible. I would have to be having the amount of sex I used to have up to a few years ago to justify ingesting a powerful drug like Truvada.

But on my last STD checkup the Dr who did the examination suggested I go on PrEP. I mentioned that I'm not having lots of sex but that I was afraid about an upcoming holiday and the opportunities for sex that I will have. The Dr told me that many older guys are going on PrEP and we don't have to worry about the long-term effects because they go for shorter treatments.

I never thought I was going to consider going on PrEP but this Dr. made me change my mind because I would be interested in going on PrEP for 3 months, with enough time before and after my sexual contacts. But now my concern is that I'm on Methotrexate for to inflammatory arthritis which is now under control and I have no pain. So the Methotrexate is working. I get blood test done every 6 weeks and I haven't had any issues with this drug.

I found a Support group for people who take Truvada and Methotrexate  (https://www.ehealthme.com/support-group/truvada-and-methotrexate/) and will find information about any drug interaction.

Does anyone have any information on this?

7 hours ago, negbtm said:

Yeah, there is information in the site but I wanted personal experiences from anyone on PrEP who is on Methotrexate.

From what I've read, the problem is that both, PrEP and Methotrexate can be bad for the liver. But then I wonder how do poz guys who need Methotrexate deal with the HIV medications.

A second thought.

Your doc might also monitor the level of either (or both) drugs to see if they're affecting each others' metabolism. Usually low-dose methotrexate isn't directly monitored (at least not on its' own) but since you'd be on another hepatically-metabolized drug they might want to.